cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Puppy Heart Murmur-Decision Made (at end)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a call from our breeder. The puppy we picked has a slight heart murmur. His vet thinks it will go away. He does have another puppy we can take. Thoughts-do we take the risk on the one we picked or should we pass?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
12 REPLIES 12

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
FYI: I had a heart murmur as an infant. Iโ€™m now 71 and healthy as a horse.
Larry

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to take the puppy. All indicators are he will be fine. There is inherent risk in life in general-he could be healthy now and develop something later on, such as both my springers becoming diabetic.

Thank you Dr. Doug for your help and reassurance. It is much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your input. That is also very much appreciated.

As far as this: I would consider it if the puppy was free otherwise no.
The breeder has a money-back (or new puppy) policy. I think it's unfair to not pay for something that is still worth it's value unless proven otherwise.

Yes, pics will be forthcoming!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

dturm
This was a PM I sent to Crowe

I bet it will be gone by the time you pick him up. Not to get too technical, but there are a couple of holes and shunts in and around the heart that are present during development before birth. They are there because the lungs are not needed while in the uterus, all oxygen is provided through the placenta. They don't close immediately after birth and sometimes take a little longer.

Since this guy is one of the biggest puppies, I'd be very surprised if this was anything serious.

Further reading Foramen ovale
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider it if the puppy was free otherwise no.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crowe wrote:
Got a message from the breeder. It's a Grade 2 murmur. From what I've read it will most likely resolve itself. Dr. Doug has contacted me via PM and is being of great help but I still would like to hear opinions. Most likely we will take the puppy and hope.

Grade 2, I would take the puppy.

My cat Looney2 had a heart murmur at his vet visit the other month. Ended up, he was just stressed from riding in the car with Tornado-dog.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Got a message from the breeder. It's a Grade 2 murmur. From what I've read it will most likely resolve itself. Dr. Doug has contacted me via PM and is being of great help but I still would like to hear opinions. Most likely we will take the puppy and hope.

Douglas Adams

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
If you choose to take the alternate puppy, the most likely thing this honest with you breeder will do is to put the puppy down. He will not likely try to sell it to another buyer.
RVing since 1995.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think the breeder would pay for the echo. It's in their best interest to verify the murmur and if it's a major health concern or not. If you choose to take another puppy, they still have to know how bad the murmur is before selling it to another buyer.

If the breeder isn't willing to pay for the whole thing, maybe offer to cover half of it. I know you were thinking of a second puppy, so you could add that by paying for half the echo, you get a discount on another puppy 1-3 years from now.

Or you could take the other puppy and then offer to pay a much reduced price for this puppy without the echo. That gives this puppy a good home regardless and you get the second puppy with no health issue.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Dr. Doug. I've read that depending on the grade (1-6) it may or may not be serious, with up to Grade 3 probably something that will go away. We don't have him yet-I don't want to get attached then find out he is seriously ill. What I'm thinking is I might have the breeder's vet do the echo and just reimburse him for it one way or the other.

Douglas Adams

dturm
It depends on the type of murmur. I've seen many innocent murmurs that indeed do disappear, so the vet may be correct. There are more serious murmurs indicating congenital heart issues. Your vet should be able to distinguish (getting a 2nd opinion), but an echocardiogram will give you peace of mind.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Stick with the first choice even if he might be unhealthy?

Douglas Adams

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Stick with your first choice.