cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recomended Tow Bar Clevis?

Y-Guy
Finally getting around to setting up my Jeep with the Ready Brute Tow Bar and plan on using the Rock Hard 4x4 Tow Bar Bracket Kit, since I have a choice of Blue Ox, RoadMaster, or Reese. Any recommendations one over the other?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Y-Guy wrote:
GD so the Ready Brute Tow Bar and the Jeep bumper adapter from Rock Hard 4x4 have options to fit Blue Ox, RoadMaster, or Reese clevis. Maybe I'm totally over thinking it (probably am) but at first glace the Blue Ox/Demco style clevis seemed to be possible a better setup.

Big fan of Ranch & Home too, drive by it at least twice a day.

Look like hitch pins to me. Any hitch pin or hardened bolts will be sufficient.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Slight deviation here: On my setup, the Roadmaster pins were of slightly different design, but same purpose.
But there were connections also between the bar and the MoHo, and between the brackets and the Toad. All with locking pins.
However, I secured the other pins with padlocks, not the wire jigglies. You just never know when some miscreant will mess with them, or loosen the wirelocks. Each setup is a bit different, but the plan remains.

On the other hand, you don't want to padlock those big main pins, in case you have to release the toad in a hurry.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
One of the tow bar companies was having issues with aluminum fingers. I believe were cracking.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Y-Guy
Thanks again enblethen I'll check that out. Trying to understand why ReadyBrute wants steel adapters now, must have been failures with their own aluminum perhaps.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look at 031-5
Adapters for Falcon tow bars

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Y-Guy
GD so the Ready Brute Tow Bar and the Jeep bumper adapter from Rock Hard 4x4 have options to fit Blue Ox, RoadMaster, or Reese clevis. Maybe I'm totally over thinking it (probably am) but at first glace the Blue Ox/Demco style clevis seemed to be possible a better setup.

Big fan of Ranch & Home too, drive by it at least twice a day.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Y-Guy wrote:
Finally getting around to setting up my Jeep with the Ready Brute Tow Bar and plan on using the Rock Hard 4x4 Tow Bar Bracket Kit, since I have a choice of Blue Ox, RoadMaster, or Reese. Any recommendations one over the other?

You're asking what brand of clevis (hitch pin / bolt) to use to connect the 2 together? And considering purchasing a tow bar mfg branded pins?

I'd use grade 8 bolts or whatever flavor of hitch pins you like from any hardware/farm store (but personally I'd make any excuse to go to Ranch&Home, best farm store west of Farm n Fleet in the midwest).

Or did I miss something?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Y-Guy
Thanks enblethen, much appreciated.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have had a Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bars for many years. I have it serviced by the factory in Vancouver, WA. They had to replace part of it when an arm got bent when someone backed into it in parking lot.
I would go with another Roadmaster product. If small car get MH mounted. Larger SUV type can handle weight of toad mounted.
Either style would work on your Jeep.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Y-Guy
sundancer268, thanks.

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of people reporting poor service life with Blue Ox and some spectacular failures. I have the RoadMaster Sterling All-Terrain since 2009 with no issues towing my 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite and before that a 2005 Ford Focus ZXW Wagon.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One