cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Honda CR-V with Pride scooter on the back

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a CR-V with a Pride scooter on the back with a platform that adds another 200 lbs. cantalevered off the 2" receiver hitch. It has to be taking a toll on the rear suspension and I have read about other people who have had issues, after using a lift like this, on a small SUV.

Does anyone have a suggestion where I can get help to assure that I'm not causing a failure in the rear suspension by continuing bounce the scooter around the country?
11 REPLIES 11

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Been having similar thoughts. In my case, a CRV and a 100cc dirt bike. Whats encouraging is driving the CRV alone with the bike on a rack is fine. As a towd, Iโ€™m not sure. I have nightmares from trying to tow a small travel trailer with the bike on the back. As a possible solution, Iโ€™m considering a double, over and under hitch extension. Tow bar on the bottom, bike rack above. Total hitch weight and tow weight should be under max capacity.

Another possible option is to carry the scooter inside the CRV? I used to carry that same motorbike in my Oyssey because it was more secure from theft and weather.
F1BNorm

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I would be worried the hitch will eventually separate from the sheet metal. I would put it on the back of your Phaeton.

I can't haul it directly behind the Phaeton because that's where the CR-V has to go. I installed the 2" receiver on the CR-V hitch myself and there is no sheet metal involved. I have come up with a new plan to run the strap through the upper hinges for the lift gate. This takes away most of the bouncing although it has no effect on the axle load. I have been hauling the scooter for many miles but the bouncing has always bothered me, especially when towing the CR-V behind the RV. There is always some natural slack between the 2" hitch opening and the 2" tube. My intent is to stop this action.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
The back of the Phaeton is where the CR-V goes. Can't travel without the CR-V. Rental cars are nearly impossible. The Pride has to ride on the back of the CR-V.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would be worried the hitch will eventually separate from the sheet metal. I would put it on the back of your Phaeton.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion...

Mike,

As an alternative to beefing up your CRV suspension, you might look at lightening the load.

As I have aged, my distance walking ability has become shorter and shorter.

I recently bought a GLION Snap-N-Go mobility scooter, Model 325.

Without the seat and battery it weighs 30 pounds, about 40# with the seat and battery. GLION has an accessory (large) bicycle style TRAVEL seat without the back or arm rests. I use that most of the time. That seat mounts to the frame during transport.

It is not only LIGHT, but the steering tiller folds down so that it can easily be carried in the back of your SUV. We carry it in the back of our Chev Equinox. I have even carried it on the trunk-mounted luggage rack of my Miata.

When folded, using the footrests, it can be easily trailered like a suitcase.

HERE is a link to the Snap-N-Go Operations video. Skip the ad to see the video.

I'm sure that you can find a dealer for them or the GLION web site or Amazon has them.

PM me if I can help you with any additional information.

Tim

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
I donโ€™t think That you will find any suspension upgrades for the rear CRV suspension is a coil overs strut sold as a single unit.
What I did was to use a set of Harbor Freight ratchet straps, in addition to the regular tie downs. One end was anchored to the outside ends of the hitch receiver and crossed over to the opposite end of the bike, handle bar or seat area. When they were snugged down, it reduced the bouncing considerably. Basically a 3 point connection to the car (or MH) receiver frame (edit add), instead of the one point receiver draw bar which tends to be a sloppy bouncy connection anyway.

Ken

Great point made.

I haven't thought of doing something like this to address the bouncing. The bouncing can do much more damage that the static load. I can tie the upper frame of the carrier to my overhead roof rack and hope I don't rip the roof rack loose.

I once had an very light aluminum bike attached to the ladder on a fifth wheel that almost took the ladder down in a cross-country trip.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t think That you will find any suspension upgrades for the rear CRV suspension is a coil overs strut sold as a single unit.
What I did was to use a set of Harbor Freight ratchet straps, in addition to the regular tie downs. One end was anchored to the outside ends of the hitch receiver and crossed over to the opposite end of the bike, handle bar or seat area. When they were snugged down, it reduced the bouncing considerably. Basically a 3 point connection to the car (or MH) receiver frame (edit add), instead of the one point receiver draw bar which tends to be a sloppy bouncy connection anyway.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
My concern is not the actual total vertical load but the cantalever affect of the load being about 6 to 7 ft. from the rear axle and the constant bouncing.

I haven't found any helper springs or air bags that can be added to the CR-V. That's what I would really like.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
200 pounds should be OK providing that you do not have the cargo area filled with another few hundred pounds. I think that the the carrying capacity for the CVR (2012) is about 850 lbs, which includes driver and passengers (but there won't be any).
My concern would be the flexing or bounce on the hitch. Have someone follow you for a few miles and see how much flexing there is. (think a bicycle carrier on the back of a trailer). Our class 3/2" receiver hitch is bolted to the CRV "frame!? which is heavy guage sheet metal.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Y-Guy
mikestock, I think the only source that I can think of will be Honda. I'd see if you can talk to a service manager. They will know what the ratings are for the suspension and can best advise you.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Does the rear axel weight exceed the manufacturer's limits?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad