cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite Brand of 5th Wheel Toyhauler.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like the title says. We just sold our 2010 Fuzion 383 because the Spyder and the motorcycle won't fit.

Now we're looking for toyhaulers with separate garages. We have no need for the second bathroom and outdoor kitchen and television. We're leaning toward 38-39 feet, definitely not over 40 feet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and the reasons you like that particular brand and/or model. We are looking for ones a couple years old, but not over 3 years old. New if the price is right, but actually prefer to let someone else fix the bugs.

So let me have 'em...please.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"
23 REPLIES 23

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Bad Brad wrote:

From experience related to all of our trailers, all I can say is that it helps to be able to do your own maintenance and repairs. All of our trailers have had one issue or another when we owned them. We've experienced a couple minor issues with our Momentum where some interior trim fell off.

Truer words were never spoken. My DW makes that comment frequently when I'm fixing or modifying something. "how can anyone own an RV that is not reasonably handy?" We have some friends that are dying to get an RV but he has ten thumbs (plays the guitar like a madman though) and I cannot imagine him owning one.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear it, we bought a 2019 Momentum 351M, and so far are very happy with it. And we also had issues to fix: the Happijac bed would do down but not up, turned out to be a broken wire in the control cable. That took a couple days to figure out. Even the Happijac tech said it was the high limit control switch.

But it sure is more solid than our 2010 Fuzion 383. Now we just need to get out and use it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bad_Brad
Explorer
Explorer
We traded from a Keystone Raptor 3110TT a couple years ago to our Grand Design Momentum 394. We have been wowed by all the features, layout, and quality since we purchased it new in 2019. This is our fourth and likely last trailer...as we have everything we ever wanted and more with this.

From experience related to all of our trailers, all I can say is that it helps to be able to do your own maintenance and repairs. All of our trailers have had one issue or another when we owned them. We've experienced a couple minor issues with our Momentum where some interior trim fell off. It shouldn't have happened, but it was a super minor and easy fix. Of course, I made it so it will never come off again. I'm sure there will be other things that happen during the years ahead, I'm prepared to fix anything as long it's not structural and it will be better than factor when I do.

I have no problem recommending Grand Design Momentums to anyone. We love ours!!
2023 Ford F450 Lariat, 6.7 H.O., 10 Speed

2018 Grand Design Momentum 394
2010 Polaris RZR S
2014 Polaris RZR XP 1000
2 boys 26 & 23 yrs
A Super AWESOME Wife of 38 years

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Just curious why the jacks should be in the highest position? I would think lower would be more stable since there would be less of the leg extended. As long as there is enough clearance so they don't drag. I've never had the auto-level before so I don't know.

both are correct. My new fifth wheel had the jacks so low I could not back into my standard residential driveway without the rears contacting the approach, they were only about 4" above the ground, would never work when taking the trailer offroad. Easy solution is to raise them up to max height, then carry some blocks, either the lego type or make some out of wood. Since we boondock in the desert a lot I have various forms of blocks and plywood squares so stuff is stable and doesn't sink into the dirt/sand.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious why the jacks should be in the highest position? I would think lower would be more stable since there would be less of the leg extended. As long as there is enough clearance so they don't drag. I've never had the auto-level before so I don't know.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
make sure whichever model you do get and if it has the auto level system that the jacks are in the highest position when raised. There is typically 2-4 adjustment holes. By having them in the highest slot/hole it will add ~2-4 more inches of ground clearance. The dealer will need to recalibrate the auto-leveling system once the jacks are raised, but that shouldn't be difficult.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
We love Michigan and summer the rig is tucked away. But when the winds of October start blowing we go west until April.
Migration is a good thing!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you. Once the weather breaks a bit and we can put the pool to bed for the year, we'll be headed somewhere. We may even try to winter over somewhere.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Main thing is you are now free travel about the country. Enjoy!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ATC toyhaulers are certainly nice, but if we bought one we wouldn't have the money to actually use it. ๐Ÿ™‚

We ended up buying the 2019 Grand Design Momentum 351M that we had looked at. It ticked all the boxes and was at a price we could afford. We were interested in something very nice to live in, and something we could use to haul the Spyder and the Interceptor.

We had a few issues: the Happijac bed would go down but not up. After a couple days of troubleshooting, we found a single wire in the 4-wire phone cord they use for controls, broken somewhere. Ran a new cord and all works as it should. The main awning was working intermittently, but turned out to be an iffy connection where the wires come out of the trailer. Fixed and works great.

The Norcold 10 cuft fridge worked great on our trial outing. Stayed down below 40ยฐ even though the outside temps were 95ยฐ-100ยฐ. All three AC's worked and kept the interior very cool.

The 11 foot garage works great for our minimal toyhauling. The Spyder fits well with room for the Interceptor beside it. So far, we're very happy with it.

It pulls very well, and the only downside is the minimal carrying capacity. We will be up against the GVWR with the Spyder and the Interceptor loaded. Looking underneath, it would appear that I could drop one of the 30 gallon gas tanks and gain about 500 lbs. ๐Ÿ™‚ They certainly are not going to fall out!! Two 7,000 lb. axles and the weight scales show we're at 13,300 lbs. with the Spyder. The Interceptor weighs about 500 lbs., so we'll be right at the limit. But it does pull nice, so we shall see.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW we bought one of the first ATC toyhaulers in 2017. 28 front bedroom with the 5.5 gen. Bumper pull.
It now has over 40k miles and all I can say is it's been a wonderful decision.We had class A, B, and even an airstream.
Nothing compares in durability. Nothing. It gets bounced around all winter up and down the west coast and to Michigan and back and all I've done is axle maint and new tires.
I hope they never sell out to Thor or Winnebago.
Good luck but peel the onion back and compare before you pull the trigger.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you. We looked at the XLR Nitro series and were impressed with the overall floor plan and design. I'm not too sure about that window in the front. Compound curves, and radii, so I'd be watching it closely for leaks. But the floor plan for the one we liked is almost identical to the Momentum 351M that we hope to pick up this Wednesday.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GordonWell
Explorer
Explorer
XLR Nitro by Forest River is one huge series of fifth-wheel toy haulers. It is one of the best haulers in terms of garage size, length, weight capacity, and general layout.

https://cartransporters.com/

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for the input. We won't be ordering it, and won't buy it new unless the price is right. We usually buy used and let the 1st guy fix all the little problems, and sometimes the big ones too. ๐Ÿ™‚

But my gosh, the prices on these things are all over the board. Same features, same size, different dealer, and you can see $10,000 to $20,000 difference. Crazy. Heck, some dealers want more for a used one than other dealers are asking for new.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"