cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator/Inverter Mounted over Propane Tanks??

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have mounted one of these on a previous trailer (2016 ORV Timber Ridge 280RKS). It worked great. I used the Stromberg-Carlson mount and a 3100W Dual Fuel Champion generator. I connected directly to propane tank. I went with propane as I did not want to deal with carrying gasoline and also carbs getting gummed after not being used regularly.

Not sure if this set up will work on my new to me 2011 Outback 250RS.

Nevertheless, I want to carry a genny with me.

Back to debating....Dual fuel single type or two Hondas. I know Hondas are gas but they can be used independently and are very reliable,......but carrying several gallons of gasoline scares me!! Is it safer to carry a couple of propane tanks vs several gallons of gasoline? All carrying would be in my truck bed with topper.

If the SC mount does not work over my propane tanks (A frame may be too short between trailer and ball), I may have to carry a genny in truck.

Thoughts?
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
21 REPLIES 21

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have been carrying 2 Honda EU2000i generators plus an extended run gas tank, plus 4 2.5 gal gas cans, for a decade and a half.

The only problem I've found is the generators are getting heavier as I get older.

A little story. In 2014, we were visiting Hoover Dam during our cross country RV trip. I had to go through a checkpoint before parking in the parking deck. Had to lift up the tonneau cover to show what was in the bed of the truck. I had all kinds of emergency equipment, like an air compressor, plus 2 generators and 16 gallons of gas. No problem for the inspector. I was then allowed to park in the parking deck.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

8:00 am starting genset for the first time after it sitting.
Pull rope repeatedly, turn key. Everything cranks and spins but it won't start! How old is this gas? Maybe I need a fresh tank. Is it bad gas or gummed carb? Did I use Stabil?
Never had any starting issues with LP....and the beat goes on.

If the gas generators are periodically exercised, no problem at 8:30 am.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Update....

After careful analysis, we believe that we will be at non electric sites less than 20% of the time.
Ethanol-free gasoline is not available in my area (and I do not believe anywhere in CA for that matter).

So with the above, considering two Champion 2500 dual fuel inverters run in parallel. With this option I can decide to use either fuel as the situation dictates.

Champion 2500

Now.....is it just as safe to carry two 5 gal containers of gas as it is to carry two 30# propane cylinders? What about propane tanks getting hot in back of truck during summer months? Same for gas cans?

I would place either container in plastic crates and strap down to truck bed under my camper shell to prevent from moving. I can also crack side windows in shell to ventilate.

Thoughts?
Equal-i-zer 10K

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I’d never use propane unless it was already built in. Besides ithey really don’t make much for standalone propane units.
And if you really want to carry some water see my other reply.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
It appears on my new to me trailer, the genny rack will not fit. The fiberglass front cap protrudes forward enough that the genny rack would have to be mounted too far forward (to clear cap) at about even with hitch ball. During a turn the truck would hit the genny rack!!

So, that means genny rack is out of the question.

Now.....one large 3500W or two 2200 watts?

I'll have to carry gennies in truck bed and deploy as needed.

Gas or propane in this instance as well.

If portable and not mounted ina. genny rack...what are preferred options?

Carry cans of gasoline.....or propane tanks?

BTW...I also plan on carrying 3-4 6 gal water containers of fresh water as my FW tank is only 37gal.

Thoughts?
Equal-i-zer 10K

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I only use ethanol free gas on my power equipment.

If I had one of those Stromberg Carlson A-frame mounted genny racks, I'd be using a propane genny up there. Why? Because there's no fun in packing a ladder along on a trip and then climbing up said ladder to refill the gas tank on a gas genny.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fire up backpacking stove on 10 year old white gas. Make pot of coffee. Pour a cup. Grab a seat. Watch Gasoline and LP guys run around trying to get fuel or start their generators going before getting their morning coffee....priceless!

9pm. Break last mantle in coleman fueled lantern. Ask guy who got his generator going by 10 am if I can run an extension cord over so I can plug in a light to see what I'm doing.
He says NO! Wish I'd offered him a cup of coffee this morning!

Moral of the story?
Everything is a compromise...

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mr_andyj wrote:
2am getting gas:
insert card, pump gas, put gas cap back on.
done.

2 am exchanging propane:
Walk in, "I need to exchange a tank"
"Umm, OK, Lemme get the key, gimme a minute before I can go out, OK, pay me now..."
finally he comes out.
unlocks, pulls it out, puts yours back in. Hope the tank is not broken like it was the last time.
done.
You paid for a full tank, you got half a tank.
Refill at 2am.
done.
cant happen.

Refill during business hours:
Wait by the pump a guy will come out eventually.
takes more time than u think to hook it all up.
takes longer than u think to fill.
takes time to unhook it, not long, but it is not like pumping gasoline.
worker writes down your total.
Go back inside and pay.
:done.

8:00 am starting genset for the first time after it sitting.
Pull rope repeatedly, turn key. Everything cranks and spins but it won't start! How old is this gas? Maybe I need a fresh tank. Is it bad gas or gummed carb? Did I use Stabil?
Never had any starting issues with LP....and the beat goes on.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
2am getting gas:
insert card, pump gas, put gas cap back on.
done.

2 am exchanging propane:
Walk in, "I need to exchange a tank"
"Umm, OK, Lemme get the key, gimme a minute before I can go out, OK, pay me now..."
finally he comes out.
unlocks, pulls it out, puts yours back in. Hope the tank is not broken like it was the last time.
done.
You paid for a full tank, you got half a tank.

Refill at 2am.
done.
cant happen.

Refill during business hours:
Wait by the pump a guy will come out eventually.
takes more time than u think to hook it all up.
takes longer than u think to fill.
takes time to unhook it, not long, but it is not like pumping gasoline.
worker writes down your total.
Go back inside and pay.
done.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
One 20lb propane tank if fully filled, only has 4.6 gallons of fuel, and it burns it faster. Exchange tanks and you'll have have even less fuel.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
DP
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
While the question of gas or Propane is often hotly debated... I submit that there is no right or wrong choice.... But there is a right or wrong choice for each individual.
Propane needs no additional tank, burns cleaner, and has no carb gumming issues
However, size for size it will produce less power and it uses propane fast. Remember that an awful lot of stuff runs on propane in an RV.... So running out will leave you dead in the water. No heat, no hot water, no stove. (assuming a boondock situation, since a generator is in use)

While propane is available..... Ever tried to get some at 2AM? I have.

Gas puts out more power on less fuel and if used a lot carb gumming is not an issue. It is also easier to get anytime.
Also running out of gas doesn't cripple the RV like running out of propane does.

You may want an extended run tank. (I highly recommend this but it works best with the Hondas)

So if you do not use a generator much, and will always be able to get propane.... It is a great choice

If you use a generator a lot and propane is not always availible. then gas is a great choice.... If you are somewhere in between... The choice can be harder.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
larry cad wrote:
You can't carry a spare can of propane so be prepared to drag up, and drive around until you can find a propane dealer to refill the cylinder. (frequently)

Say wut?

If we're lucky, this thread might go the way of that one last year titled "Where to find propane?" or something similar.....

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Most Tractor Supply Company stores fill propane at a fair price.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,