Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F550 based class C?

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
is there such a beast?
Want to keep it between $40-50K, 25' in length and F550 chassis based.
11 REPLIES 11

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
n0arp wrote:
There are the Dynamax (Ram 5500 based) and Thor (F-550 based), but you won't find either at that price. The cheapest they seem to run on RVTrader is mid 80s, with very slim pickings at that price.

I found a few 2007 models, one for $48K, one for 62K, both 30' models with slides. Dynamax Isata. I am specifically looking for Isata F-series IF-255, which is the smallest one they made, with no slides. I think finding it for between 40-50K is totally doable in that range.

Ebay is even cheaper but you can get zero warranty. That is, if it ever shows up there.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
et cetera wrote:
is there such a beast?
Want to keep it between $40-50K, 25' in length and F550 chassis based.

Could be if you bought a refurbished 450-550 chassis or a cabover style medium duty for $40k then build your own 'simple' 4-season camper body onto it. Custom design it yourself to fit your needs. You'll be way ahead of this game if you build properly and it won't leak !! :B

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
Around 2005 the cab has to be removed to work on the back of the engine on Ford diesel PUs.

All the more reason to get V10 power.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Around 2005 the cab has to be removed to work on the back of the engine on Ford diesel PUs.

Didn't even think about that. I wonder how many C's even have the clearance to pull the cab without pulling the house.

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't buy a 6.0 or 6.4, I'd only consider 2011+. Really a couple years newer than that because the early 6.7s weren't without issues.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rjstractor wrote:
As was mentioned, there were some that size built on the F350 chassis, but the F550 has about 5K of extra GVWR that would go unused in a 25' motorhome unless you fill all the storage compartments with concrete blocks. I'm curious, why so much GVWR for such a small motorhome?

Doesn't really matter. OP's wishes and budget are in 2 different counties. "F550" or class 5 based C's are Super C's, not $40k decent used rigs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
As was mentioned, there were some that size built on the F350 chassis, but the F550 has about 5K of extra GVWR that would go unused in a 25' motorhome unless you fill all the storage compartments with concrete blocks. I'm curious, why so much GVWR for such a small motorhome?
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Back in 2003/2005 there were some made for Cruise America then sold after being refurbished under the Name Majestic

There are some on the market

For the first time ever I went to the SRG website, and on the surface it looked great. However, I learned real quick that the vast majority of the listings are very stale. Stacking them in newest to oldest format helped a lot, but most show 'posted over 1 month ago' -- and I found out that could mean YEARS ago. I actually saw some listings for 'coming soon' NEW 2017 models!!!

That being said, once I made it through the learning curve, it looks like there are a lot of listings on SRG that are not on RVTrader, which, until now, I viewed as the site with the most to offer.

Thanks for the introduction to another option!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Earth Roamer sometimes used F550 chassis but they're pricey.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in 2003/2005 there were some made for Cruise America then sold after being refurbished under the Name Majestic

There are some on the market
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
There are the Dynamax (Ram 5500 based) and Thor (F-550 based), but you won't find either at that price. The cheapest they seem to run on RVTrader is mid 80s, with very slim pickings at that price.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s