cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shuttle bus conversion

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about getting a mid sized (say 16-passenger) shuttle bus to convert to a full time configuration. I suppose it would fit in the Class C platform.

My requirements are:

7' or close to it overhead room. (This is the reason high-top sprinter vans are disqualified, even the biggest ones are only 72" or so and I need at least 80" and 84" is better). I think shuttle buses have it.

Truck front end. Either Ford F350 or F450 but also open to Chevy and Dodge front ends. Don't want the van configuration. Don't want E class front.

The idea is to adapt it to stealth full-timing, make it look like any other shuttle bus. The area is full of shuttle buses/delivery vans that are practically invisible. A class C is nicer and might even end up being cheaper long-term but I think if I start from scratch I can build a shuttle bus precisely how I want it. Instead of being limited to someone else's floor plan.
19 REPLIES 19

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
et cetera wrote:
Makes a lot of sense.
What kind of tranny did it come with?

C6 or a newer 5-speed automatic?

RE: ----------------------------

Low mileage but probably 8-10,000 engine hours...which, as long as it has been serviced, it not that big a deal. I wouldn't be shocked if it needed front end work, if it saw bad roads. If it's original, I wouldn't be surprised to need a transmission soon.

4R100 automatic.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
et cetera wrote:
Cat Lady wrote:
Try this site

quote:===================================

Changing a bus door to a house door. Part 1

Nooo. This man changed this shuttle bus to an rv. I just grabbed the latest video on YT to give you an example of his work. Check out his earlier videos for a list of shuttle projects he’s completed to make it more livable for he and his wife. He’s really very good and if you have any questions, I’m sure he’d be happy to help. He also does this type work on the side. Good luck.
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
Cat Lady wrote:
Try this site

quote:===================================

Changing a bus door to a house door. Part 1

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
Makes a lot of sense.
What kind of tranny did it come with?

C6 or a newer 5-speed automatic?

RE: ----------------------------

Low mileage but probably 8-10,000 engine hours...which, as long as it has been serviced, it not that big a deal. I wouldn't be shocked if it needed front end work, if it saw bad roads. If it's original, I wouldn't be surprised to need a transmission soon.

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Another vehicle to look at would be a used Party Bus,I encountered one at a dump station,It had a bathroom,holding tanks and fresh water tank.

One less thing to build into your conversion.

Just one example

Very neat.

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
Understood, thank you.

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Try this site
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Another vehicle to look at would be a used Party Bus,I encountered one at a dump station,It had a bathroom,holding tanks and fresh water tank.

Just one example

That is frequently a porta-potty, rather than an RV-style toilet & holding tank.
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
et cetera wrote:
Does this have any potential?

What are some issues to expect with a 1999 Ford diesel, etc. Or is this a bad idea and something newer makes more sense?

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/1999-Ford-F550+XLT-5016668787

Crazy low mileage for a '99, plus it has (in my opinion) one of the 2 best diesel engines ever put into a truck.

As for price, that's up to you.

Best of luck in your venture!

Throw a cam position sensor (about $30, try to avoid Chinesium) in the glove box and you should be good.
Current rig:

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II

Just one example
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
et cetera wrote:

What are some issues to expect with a 1999 Ford diesel, etc. Or is this a bad idea and something newer makes more sense?

Crazy low mileage for a '99, plus it has (in my opinion) one of the 2 best diesel engines ever put into a truck.

As for price, that's up to you.

Best of luck in your venture!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer

et_cetera
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any links, any ideas where to search?

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Krystal built on F-550 chassis (many were luxury coaches, sold as the "Limo-Bus") for 20 years. Goshen-Supreme, Thor/Eldorado, Turtle Top, Champion, and Glaval built on MDT chassis...I have seen Internationals, GMC C5500s, Ford F-650s, and Freightliners. (Note that these are standard medium-duty trucks underneath aside from the rear HVAC, and any truck shop can service them.)
Current rig: