cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA is canceling Red Stickers for 2022

dedmiston
This is bad news for anyone in CA looking to buy a new bike.

The good news though is that anything 2021 and older will be grandfathered into the Green Sticker program.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/new-california-rules-put-ohv-riding-in-jeopardy

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
20 REPLIES 20

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
somebody wrote:
{SNIP}

F'g. Trolls

You're not in CA so you have no dog in this fight. Stick to the PNW, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Very difficult to have an intelligent conversation with ignorant people.

Dave, you can delete this if it's inappropriate but so sick of this kind of garbage after all the time I've put into supporting our sport.

It's all good. His post is gone now.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Viken
Explorer
Explorer
It’s funny. When my Mt. Saint Helen erupted it put more damaging gases in the atmosphere then humans have in all of our existence.
2021 Ram 3500. Torque t285 toy hauler

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
And if you have to ask what the difference is between two and four strokes but to compare to a portable generator then I'm done.

Amen.

Apples & lemons.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
rlw999 wrote:
nayther wrote:
This is all thanks to the AQMD. They did a study on OHV emissions based on totally bogus useage data; most OHV's are operated only hours each month. Would be surprised if the average use is more than 5 hours per month on an annualized basis yet they used some BS number 4-5x that amount to justify their draconian ****. AQMD is an independent department that does not answer to anyone, they can and do exactly what they want with no regard to economic impact, recreational use, etc.

Do you have a link to that study? The air quality regulations cover evaporative emissions as well as tailpipe emissions, which unless everyone drains the fuel from their bikes between uses, that's still a factor whether it's being ridden or not.

But I'd like to see the study that used inflated usage data.

A non-compliant 2 stroke can emit up to 50 times more hydrocarbon pollution than emissions compliant 4 stroke engines, even modern fuel injected 2 strokes emit 10 times more hydrocarbons. So even if they only run 5 hours a month, they still emit much more pollution than compliant bikes.

Anyone that's camped next to someone with a cheap 2-stroke generator knows how much worse the exhaust is from 2 stroke engines.

What is the main drawback to buying a compliant bike? Cost or performance?

Don Amador is the front line on this:
https://quietwarriorracing.blogspot.com/2021/06/r5-regional-forester-appointed-as-new.html?fbclid=IwAR0YoDw2h4s_ZZ80-LB8OVmOX3qEK1itvX6EgfN9YFm_Aguou5KOt33CpKM

Another that was involved in the study itself:
Chris Real
https://www.facebook.com/chris.real.16

I'm not going to get into it with you. You obviously have a different agenda and we're not going down that rabbit hole. I've been involved in AMA District 37 desert racing for 50+ years and in some very active capacities at various levels of the sport. You are free to do as much research as you wish. Until REAL useage numbers are used it's "convenient statistics". Data can be manipulated in so many ways but if inaccurate statistics are used the data interpretation is useless.

And if you have to ask what the difference is between two and four strokes but to compare to a portable generator then I'm done.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
This is all thanks to the AQMD. They did a study on OHV emissions based on totally bogus useage data; most OHV's are operated only hours each month. Would be surprised if the average use is more than 5 hours per month on an annualized basis yet they used some BS number 4-5x that amount to justify their draconian ****. AQMD is an independent department that does not answer to anyone, they can and do exactly what they want with no regard to economic impact, recreational use, etc.

Do you have a link to that study? The air quality regulations cover evaporative emissions as well as tailpipe emissions, which unless everyone drains the fuel from their bikes between uses, that's still a factor whether it's being ridden or not.

But I'd like to see the study that used inflated usage data.

A non-compliant 2 stroke can emit up to 50 times more hydrocarbon pollution than emissions compliant 4 stroke engines, even modern fuel injected 2 strokes emit 10 times more hydrocarbons. So even if they only run 5 hours a month, they still emit much more pollution than compliant bikes.

Anyone that's camped next to someone with a cheap 2-stroke generator knows how much worse the exhaust is from 2 stroke engines.

What is the main drawback to buying a compliant bike? Cost or performance?

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Viken wrote:
You need people who will change the laws. It’s getting hard for bikers and campers in California.

Mod Edit: Just trying to keep the politics in check

Trust me we have a lot of lobbiests and activists that are well connected in Sac. but the liberals are hard to cross the aisle. and with a super majority its worse. Fortunately we do have allies here and there.

As of 2022 model year ALL OHV's must meet emission requirements except "closed course" race bikes. There is a bill in Sac. to exempt "race vehicles" for competition and "practice". The use of these machines in non-sanctioned events is only allowed for "practice". To prove you are "practicing" or "testing" you have to hold a valid competition license in any recognized organization. For example AMA District 37, SCORE, DP4.

This bill is moving slowly in Sac. Current green stickers expire next June so this must be in place by then.

Unfortunately BLM, a federal agency, is the one that checks the stickers (CA requirement) which makes no sense either.

My son managed to score a 2021 Husky 300 so he'll be good. Just had a friend get a 2022 KTM 300 (these are both non EPA complying two strokes). Will be interesting to see what kind of sticker they issue to the 2022.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
A way around the BS just get a Nonresident OHV Use Permits for $30 bucks. Even if you don't have any current registration it will get you by.

https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Viken
Explorer
Explorer
You need people who will change the laws. It’s getting hard for bikers and campers in California.

Mod Edit: Just trying to keep the politics in check
2021 Ram 3500. Torque t285 toy hauler

dedmiston
juzplanekrazy wrote:
Oh man I miss the Toy Hauler section.
Getting a little testy in your old age Dave? LOL

Yeah. Maybe. That guy is a piece of work though. I don't know why he even comes around anymore except to troll.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh man I miss the Toy Hauler section.
Getting a little testy in your old age Dave? LOL
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

dedmiston
GDS-3950BH wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Wow - There's nothing left after deleting all the political junk.

It's like the thread just got its summer buzz cut.

How can you even bring up this subject without discussing the political junk, the subject itself is political and the thread started by a moderator, but that's A- Ok? Posts are deleted which are not political, this one will be deleted shortly, which is not surprising at all here.

What's your problem? Do you even own a dirt bike? What are you even doing here?

This thread is 100% on topic for the Toy Hauler forum. We have a very rich history of discussing topics that affect or limit the toys that go into our haulers. So much so, that there's even a sub-category in this forum called "The Toys". Scroll up and you'll see it's true.

With nothing on-topic to add, you're welcome to show yourself out. Good day.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Wow - There's nothing left after deleting all the political junk.

It's like the thread just got its summer buzz cut.

How can you even bring up this subject without discussing the political junk, the subject itself is political and the thread started by a moderator, but that's A- Ok? Posts are deleted which are not political, this one will be deleted shortly, which is not surprising at all here.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
rexlion wrote:
What will be the situation for out of state visitors with dirt bikes?

Good question if it follows something like it is now and you have your OHV registered with your State then I think you are good to go.

You can read about it here but that's obviously how it is today not what's going to possibly happen.
Thanks, that's very interesting. Nonresidents will have more rights with dirt bikes in CA than the state's residents. I suppose it won't be the first time they've done that, though. 😄
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Y-Guy
rexlion wrote:
What will be the situation for out of state visitors with dirt bikes?

Good question if it follows something like it is now and you have your OHV registered with your State then I think you are good to go.

You can read about it here but that's obviously how it is today not what's going to possibly happen.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon