moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.wwnytv.com/2021/05/16/canada-starts-talks-border-reopening/
36 REPLIES 36

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
One has to be cautious in following medical advice on the net. Don't worry be happy could be fatal.

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
I too have a list. By now, everyone knows people that have died from this virus.

Government lock downs don't work, didn't stop the virus. Opening businesses, schools, Disneyland, doesn't kill people.

These covid border restrictions are each governments decision. Land crossings have one set of rules, air rules have a different set of rules. "THE SCIENCE'

People used to have the freedom to chose where to travel to, where to eat, what movie to see this weekend. That has been lost in the name of "THE SCIENCE". Even when fully vaccinated.

Qtla, you created a bubble for yourself. Your choose. Or chose to play the restriction game, drive to San Antonio Airport, pick up your partner and travel the USA for the summer in your RV.

You know, living life.

It is past time to open the border to pre-covid rules.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, Mexico's land border never closed. Imagine how many of those now estimated 600,000 Mexican deaths could have been avoided.

I have a long list of friends, Mexican family, neighbors and colleagues that are now gone. Much worse than ever reported.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
Mexico's land border has never closed. The USA should open their borders to legal travel. There is no reason that the Canadian government should punish their citizens, forcing them to spend another cold, harsh, winter stuck at home.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of buzz about reopening. Canada is thinking of a phased opening very soon. The USA is getting tired of Canada moving slowly and may open their border sooner than Canada. Maybe if we wore hockey sweaters things would be different.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Indeed, those were the best days in Mexican history since the end of the infamous and destructive Mexican Revolution which actually left more Mexicans in poverty than in any time in history. Salinas through Peรฑa Nieto led to the growth of the middle class as Moisheh stated.

This article in The Economist outlines the current state of Mexico and the destruction of the middle and upper classes. How will it affect rvers? It's happening already. Elections are on June 6th, and 38 candidates have been murdered.

Be very careful with the border routes. Cartels are picking up innocent people from Monterrey and Saltillo who travel to the border for work, ordinary people driving small cars and they have just disappeared. No reasons so far, 20 people since March not to mention the extortion along border cities for travelers.

The False Messiah
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
In another thread there were comments about things in Mexico returning to tomes past. I always say you can never go back. I would like to see Mexico as it was under Salinas. He was my favorite President. I know he was corrupt and managed to steal many millions of dollars. But under his rule Mexico entered NAFTA and a middle class was created. Mexico was an exciting place to be. Suddenly there atm's everywhere. Big box stores. Entrepreneurs were opening restaurants and factories. Carlos Slim turned Telmex into a profitable company and he became the wealthiest man in the world. Now Pemex has become a money losing enterprise and the goverment is building a train to nowhere and fighting with oil companies and the USA. What a shame.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Almot wrote:
navigator2346 wrote:
Just read where the border will be closed to nonessential traffic until 21 June

They renew this closure every month until 21s, I think because the 1st time it was closed in 2020 until the 21st. Doesn't mean they will or will not keep doing this in September.

About "what's wrong in RV-ing in your own country" - a lot is wrong if the country is Canada and the season is fall-winter. This is when Canadians usually go South. To my observations, most semi-permanent Americans in Mexico follow same pattern, going there in winter. At least, in "my" part of Mexico.

What I had meant to say was to rv in your own country temporarily until the pandemic slows down.

I agree with Moisheh about U.S. border cities. They are slowly dying.

Fortunately, even though I am in disagreement with the current Mexican administration, Mexicans are quickly getting vaccinated. We are now working on the 40 to 49 age group and all teachers and medical personnel have received their doses.

The quick purchase of vaccines in Mexico along with the return to schools on June 7th is a political ploy to lure Mexicans into voting for MORENA on June 6th. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
More articles about reopening. The US would like to open very soon. Rumors are it will open in stages late June. In Canada we have an advisory council on all things Covid related. It was created so the public would not blame the politicians. This council came up with hotel quarantine. But things are changing. The council is recommending an end to the hotel part. They are also recommending opening of the border. Good news for Canadians that have homes in the US or Mexico. Even better news for border communities that soon will cease to exist.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
navigator2346 wrote:

They renew this closure every month until 21s, I think because the 1st time it was closed in 2020 until the 21st. Doesn't mean they will or will not keep doing this in September.

About "what's wrong in RV-ing in your own country" - a lot is wrong if the country is Canada and the season is fall-winter. This is when Canadians usually go South. To my observations, most semi-permanent Americans in Mexico follow same pattern, going there in winter. At least, in "my" part of Mexico.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Bloomberg has another article on opening the border. Canada does have a team working on the reopening. It appears that it will be done in stages. Chris: I thought you had dual citizenship???

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds easy to fly to McAllen. It doesn't work that way. If you fly to McAllen you will be restricted from leaving the 21 mile marker. Asking for a permit (not the visa) they will then ask why you flew to McAllen if you wanted to travel further north. He would actually have to fly further north such as to San Antonio because there he would be free to travel around. We've been in the border business now for almost 40 years. If you are denied at one bridge you turn around and drive to the next. As you said, it's a game but now it's not just about crossing the border. This is about reducing the spread and possible deaths. We keep forgetting that part.

So then, the Mexico U.S. border really isn't open. And this is exactly why things haven't worked.

People looking to cheat the system. The U.S. is crazy to let citizens come and go from Mexico.

We are seeing an increase in cases again here in the north. The Mexican government is responsible for almost a half a million deaths and many transmissions came directly from people traveling back and forth.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

playaboy
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Nothing against people coming to Mexico as long as it's safe but what is wrong with rving in your own country for a year or two?

Fuel here is very expensive now so we would prefer to go to the U.S. but border restrictions keep us from going.

We will travel here in the national parks this summer. I still think we are jumping the gun and when winter comes, lookout. Not that many Mexicans have been vaccinated. We just got our second jab on Saturday.

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping for joy, it is a very melancholy event considering all the lives that have been lost.

Even though you and your partner are vaccinated your lives are still being restricted.

You can go to the USA to RV around the country. You just have to "play" the game. Have your partner get his covid test, then fly from Monterrey to the Mcallen. You can drive the rig up there in 3 hours and pick him up at the airport. Then boondock your way across the USA.

Even with vaccinations, we will be seeing these same travel restrictions for many more months or even years.