cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quad Bike mounted to ladder?

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Vier Bike as something DW and I can do together. The bike cannot go into the back of the truck. I am thinking of rigging a block and tackle to raise it up and strap it to the ladder spiderman style (4 wheels against trailer back wall). The ladder is rated to 300# and I think the weight of the bike is 125. Any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas out there, pro and con?
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch
26 REPLIES 26

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember hanging anything on the back will reduce your tounge weight, which can lead to sway.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
What does the back of your RV look like?

Dusty

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Talk to the folks at Arctic Fox and they say the best solution if I cannot use my truck bed (have a topper) is to get a welding shop to weld a hitch receiver onto the trailer frame and mount a suitable rack for the bike
on that. Looks like that is what I will be doing.
2019 Arctic Fox 25W

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
That kind of a bike on the ladder is a bad idea. The ladder will eventually pull out of the wall with the stresses put on it from a gigantic bike bouncing around while traveling around
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't strap a 50 dollar bike to the back ladder let alone a 5 thousand dollar one. The ladder on the back of any trailer, 5er or travel trailer is like the end of the line on the old "crack the whip" kids use to play. The lateral "G" force on any small move left or right in & out of traffic at 65mph is huge. Also the up & down "G" force going over bridge "expansion" joints on about 75% of every interstate bridge is the same. I have thought how is the 5er still hooked up after crossing some bridge expansion joints and that is just behind in the bed of the truck, not 43 feet behind the hitch..
Make sure your insurance is up to date....

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Build a ramp that starts in the truck bed and extends over the cab. I have 2 friends that carry a 16' boat and trailer on a truck this way and the ramp for a lightweight bike would be a lot less involved.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
capacitor wrote:
How about a headache rack at the front of the bed and stand the bike on the back wheels and strap it to the rack?

This sounds like the best idea to me.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
No, in the truck bed at the front. They protect things from flying through the back window. Google Amazon for headache rack. I got the 100 dollar on to carry long lumber.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
capacitor wrote:
How about a headache rack at the front of the bed and stand the bike on the back wheels and strap it to the rack?

Not sure what you mean? Like over the batteries and gas bottles at the front of the trailer?
2019 Arctic Fox 25W

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, the one in red. Got to ride it and it's a blast. DW has balance issues and this perfect for us.
2019 Arctic Fox 25W

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vier Bike

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
A shame the OP's trailer isn't a bumper pull toy hauler. He could take his bicycle anywhere, no muss or fuss.....but an expensive solution to change trailers.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Consider a swivel wheel trailer.

The ladder won't like that much weight bouncing for hours at a time during a drive...and yes it will be bouncing that far behind the axles.

You could rig something where it sits on it's rear tires with the nose in the air with the weight supported by a hitch but by the time you do it right and engineer it to be easy to mount and demount, a swivel wheel trailer will be easier.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV