cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running Inverter Generator Safely From Pickup

KeithF40
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Predator 3500 generator and want to make sure that some/all of these situations are safe for running the generator from the back up my pickup. Thanks for any responses. Basically I want to park my truck a few feet in front of the trailer (back of truck facing front of trailer) and run generator from truck bed with or without rain.

1. Trailer parked right behind back of truck (feet few behind), tailgate down, tonneau cover up, generator on tailgate with exhaust pointing towards side of truck (perpendicular to truck)?

2. Trailer parked right behind back of truck (feet few behind), tailgate down, tonneau cover up, generator on tailgate with exhaust pointing towards cab of truck (no one is inside truck)?

3. Trailer parked right behind back of truck (few feet behind), tailgate down, tonneau cover down (if it's raining), generator in bed of truck (just inside of tailgate) with exhaust facing the cab of the truck (no one is inside truck)? This would be the rain setup.
30 REPLIES 30

dedmiston
mr_andyj wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

CO2 is harmless in "normal" concentrations. But In high concentrations can also lead to oxygen starvation and death. It is indeed rare, but can happen with inadequate ventilation when used a MIG or TIG welder running CO2 with inadequate ventilation.

OK, so get a CO monitor and no welding in the RV!

Or just a dusting of welding.

Don't go nuts and definitely don't do it when the kids and wife are awake, but who among us could go cold turkey?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, so put the gen on the tailgate with exhaust facing the drivers side. If it is raining have a piece of plywood on top and call it good.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:

CO2 is harmless in "normal" concentrations. But In high concentrations can also lead to oxygen starvation and death. It is indeed rare, but can happen with inadequate ventilation when used a MIG or TIG welder running CO2 with inadequate ventilation.

OK, so get a CO monitor and no welding in the RV!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Now thatโ€™s thinking!
To the OP, donโ€™t make this difficult.
Start genny, donโ€™t point exhaust at anything that may melt or catch fire. If you want to direct the exhaust back under your tonneau cover (although idk how this would seem like a solid idea), do so. As long as you pay attention to the first sentence.
Rain, snow, wind, sun, generators seem to run just fine.
Common sense. Every construction site with a generator, itโ€™s likely outside.
At home, my backup genny only comes out when the power is out and generally itโ€™s raining or snowing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
I think running a generator in your truck bed would be as safe as running the built in generator in a RV that is located under the front bed. What is the difference?

Just make sure the generator gets fresh air or it will not run correctly.

I had a rat problem in my shed. So I ran my Honda EU2000 generator in my shed with the door and windows closed. After a while the generator ran out of fresh air and quit. Took of care of my rat problem.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

Maybe "mr_andyj" is thinking of propane?

:@

This is honestly an easy mistake to make. To make matters worse, RV manufacturers use a combination CO/propane detector, and since it involves propane, it must be near the floor.

I would always advise an additional CO detector. $30 bucks isn't much to be safe.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
I built a secure and weatherproof box that's bolted to the bed, it's properly ducted and has run fine in all weather for 700 plus
The older we get, the faster we go

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer

The older we get, the faster we go

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
you are right, CO is about the same as air. That is a myth...
We had a situation where a guy in a tent got CO poisoning but the people walking around were unaffected. I guess that supported the myth...
If CO floats then that is worse as it can float into your windows.

CO2 is harmless, you exhale it and breath it in. The mask-breathers are breathing it constantly inside their gross mask.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
KeithF40 wrote:
First off I think I am definitely going to get a second (and maybe third) CO alarm in addition to the one that is built into my trailer.

pitch wrote:
I run our Hondas regularly from the bed of my truck. I drop the tail gate start the generators,spin them so the exhaust faces out. The tonneau cover stays in place one fold open, depending on expected weather,if rain is expected I leave it flat. I have a trifold. I have set my extended run tank on top of the cover.
This is for overnites only so I normally do not unhook the trailer. Once set up in our spot the generators sit on a piece of plywood on the ground.

By spin them out do you mean blowing perpendicular to the truck as in not towards the hitch and not towards the cab?.

Say wut?
Generator won't melt if it gets wet.
Why on earth would you direct the exhaust back into the enclosed truck bed making the bed all stinky and hot? Do you think it's going to trap the exhaust and keep it from getting out?
Point generator exhaust away from the truck bed and if you smell exhaust in the camper, it's not working, get a longer extension cord.

I felt this wasn't a good idea but read about others doing this so just wanted to ask. In regards to the rain I have read about people using it exposed to the rain and others covering it up so not sure what the exact protocol is.

Yes face too face

KeithF40
Explorer
Explorer
First off I think I am definitely going to get a second (and maybe third) CO alarm in addition to the one that is built into my trailer.

pitch wrote:
I run our Hondas regularly from the bed of my truck. I drop the tail gate start the generators,spin them so the exhaust faces out. The tonneau cover stays in place one fold open, depending on expected weather,if rain is expected I leave it flat. I have a trifold. I have set my extended run tank on top of the cover.
This is for overnites only so I normally do not unhook the trailer. Once set up in our spot the generators sit on a piece of plywood on the ground.

By spin them out do you mean blowing perpendicular to the truck as in not towards the hitch and not towards the cab?.

Say wut?
Generator won't melt if it gets wet.
Why on earth would you direct the exhaust back into the enclosed truck bed making the bed all stinky and hot? Do you think it's going to trap the exhaust and keep it from getting out?
Point generator exhaust away from the truck bed and if you smell exhaust in the camper, it's not working, get a longer extension cord.

I felt this wasn't a good idea but read about others doing this so just wanted to ask. In regards to the rain I have read about people using it exposed to the rain and others covering it up so not sure what the exact protocol is.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Btw, the CO detector works wonderfully in our new toy hauler. I blew out the dirt and dust with the leaf blower and it started screaming about 5 seconds into the operation.

Lol. You have to either use an electric blower or turn off the battery disconnect to kill the detectors before you fire up the gas blower.

I have a cheap little rechargeable one I use to blow out the garage after I unload in camp.

Nah, mine runs on AV gas and Klotz!
Was a great system check!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
you are right, CO is about the same as air. That is a myth...
We had a situation where a guy in a tent got CO poisoning but the people walking around were unaffected. I guess that supported the myth...
If CO floats then that is worse as it can float into your windows.

CO2 is harmless, you exhale it and breath it in. The mask-breathers are breathing it constantly inside their gross mask.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
mr_andyj wrote:

CO is heavier than air.....

Maybe "mr_andyj" is thinking of propane?

:@

More likely is that they've confused CO (carbon monoxide) and CO2 (carbon dioxide). CO2 is a bit heavier than air, sufficiently so that accumulation in an area, especially one with with poor ventilation, can be very dangerous indeed. Accumulation of CO2 in silos and mines, for instance, has at times proven deadly to workers.