cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parralax power converter model 7445

Eskinsh
Explorer
Explorer
I think i may have blown my converter today. On a multi-state trip and for the first time actually relied on battery vs shore power.

Smelt it then felt the wires were very warm, so unplugged it. Think its only purpose is to charge house batteries while on shore power, but not sure.

I suspect the house batteries are toast, probable root Cause of converter overheat., and will need replacing as well.

Trying to determine my risk for leaving the unit unplugged until I get to a place for proper eval.

I think it just wont charge house batteries while on shore power, seems like everything else is working. Hoping. Can just deal with it when I get back home.

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 35u
Parallax converter charger model 7445

Any recommendations on replacement converters appreciated if needed
6 REPLIES 6

Eskinsh
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: 2 new batteries later, looks to be all good. Power converter seems.to be working fine. The advice provided was extremely helpful. Voltmeter on new 12v batteries went from 11.9 to 12.4 when power converter plugged in. 9 hrs later, ramped up to 13.3 no overheat.
Lesson learmed: take house battery maintenance seriously. This ain’t no car battery.
I got tired of re-charging batteries so i put in disconnect switches for both house and engine.. That does not negate the need to disconnect, recharge, clean and maintain the batteries when not in use. Seems the CO2 sensore will drain the battery despite shitting off or disconnecting, it creates corrosion, and never forget monitor the water levels. That was my mistake. I saw 13 volts on the monitor and thought all good. But, I never dry camped before in my class A.

The advice from Sundancer268 amd CA traveler helped reduce the panic from being half way across the country from home. Thanks again.

Eskinsh
Explorer
Explorer
Sundancer268,
Can I check the power comverter using the old batteries just to confirm it’s outputting the voltage? What is the risk? Im going to replace batteries anyway?

Eskinsh
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the quick responses. I made my destination for a week stay. Im jist going to buy mew batteries, i saw not water in them this morning amd topped off with distilled. Im concerned about plugging in the converter, thinking if its bad it could damage the new ones. Probably ok of i wait a couple of days before i try again.

Yes., i could smell it like burnt smell, but we were in the rig as soon as we noticed.

Can i use a regular automobile battery charger and charge them as needed. I also have a jump charger need to look and see if that also charges, i think not.

Thanks for the advice.

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
The converter might NOT be blown, just over worked trying to charge failing batteries. I would get the batteries tested ASAP and then check the voltage the converter is supplying at the batteries. The converter should have been sized by the coach builder to run all the 12 volt systems and still charge the battery. Do you smell a burnt smell at the converter when it is running or does it just smell hot? Voltage should be a minimum of 13.2 volts at the batteries when charging. I would place a Volt Meter on the battery terminals and then have someone plug it in and see if the voltage rises, maybe not to 13+ volts, just takes a healthy jump. If it does, I would suspect the converter is still functional. With new batteries, you will have to keep an eye on it to make shue it will not over charge the batteries.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

sundancer268
Explorer
Explorer
Eventually the batteries will die and your 12 volt lights, Reefer, Furnace and Water Heater will stop working. The Reefer even on 120 volts requires 12 volts for the control board. Furnace and most Water Heaters also have 12 Volt Control Boards. You need a 10-20 Amp Battery Charger with out the converter to keep going.
U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since it's overheating don't leave the charger on. Have the batteries load tested at a auto shop. Buy a auto charger if needed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob