cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ramp door patio DIY. Whose done it?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So although I basically don’t even have time to replace the batteries and get everything up to snuff on the new camper, already thinking about making the back into a patio on our new to us Torque XLT T29
Sounded cheesy to me at first, but we mostly do summer camping and it has the rear screen wall, so leaving the ramp door open when ya can will be awesome!
Appears the ramp is rated for it as its advertised with that model, ours just doesn’t have the option on it.
Not interested in the $1000+ fence and stair setup. Just the cables and a step stool for access.
Anyone made their own?
I’ve found a couple “kits” all inclusive with the fencing and all and they’re $$$. One place makes a cable kit for like $175.
But looking at it, for under $50 in parts, it seems pretty easy to do with a trip to the hardware store and Amazon. Might even do epoxy swaged ends.

Anyone roll their own here and experience with it?
Adjustability? I can see adding a turnbuckle to each cable could be good, but assuming I just use Crosby clips and don’t swage the ends, I can make them the exact same length and still adjust if for some reason one cable is taking more load.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold
13 REPLIES 13

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ I thought about that actually.

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
If you want it quick and simple, just use a couple of ratchet straps and prop the tailgate into a patio. Didn't cost you a cent. No modifications, just hook them up.

A fellow camper purchased a toy hauler similar to mine. His had a dedicated convertible tailgate with railing and some type of cable system. Total PITB to get all that gingerbread out of the way to get his bike in and out.

For me, just hook up a couple of ratchet straps and sit out the lawn chairs. Just don't drink too much and fall off because there is no railing.

OTOH, I've only used my ramp for that once. I usually get my outdoor rug, set up my table and grill, the lawn chairs, turn on the stereo, good to go. And I don't worry about falling off my ramp.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thanks.
Thought about that but would have required some fall back stands, more stuff to lug along and a fair amount of adjustability for sloped sites.
I just installed a D ring tie down on each side of the ramp door and cut a chain to length for each side. Super simple and quick.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I just use a couple of jack stands under the corners of the ramp.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ Yes, load rated eye bolts. Makes sense.
I think I'll use something like a 2 bolt D ring type tiedown on the ramp door.

I did like Y Guy. Took trailer in to factory once for warranty work and they thought the eyebolts were factory installed and welded them shut. Seems that Rage'n or WW execs were using the ramp on their personal rig as a deck and the eyebolts failed, dumping everyone on the deck in the river/lake. So the directive was to weld them up anytime they saw them. Would have been great to see Warmuth dumped in the drink.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Yes, load rated eye bolts. Makes sense.
I think I'll use something like a 2 bolt D ring type tiedown on the ramp door.

Y-Guy
You bet, as I recall I found upgraded eye bolts at one of the specialty fastener stores; like Tacoma Screw - probably overkill but made me feel safer.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Thanks
Yes that looks very similar to what I was thinking. Appreciate you sharing that.

Y-Guy
Here are some photos from what I did. That's all I've got I can't the write up I'd done. Good luck!
Ramp Door 1
Ramp Door 2
Ramp Door 3
Ramp Door 4

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Appreciate y’all sharing.
I U Toobed it and basically how I thought.
This one already has holes in the upper gussets of the frame so good point I think to anchor up top without having to mount brackets up there.
On the ramp, some heavy duty 2 bolt tie down brackets, through bolted through the frame and make up the right length cables.
The idea of folding legs or a stringer and a couple adjustable screw type stands crossed my mind as well. Would be the “no drill” solution, but hanging it off cables seems much handier.

If I have any babies or grand babies to hold anytime in the near future, someone’s in trouble! But I won’t swear I won’t stumble off of it without a fence if uncle whiskey is on a roll!
Kids got the camper washed up today. It shines up as good as I had hoped! Really stoked about that.
Got a list of a good dozen things or more to repair , change or get prepped before we ready to roll out. But that’s ok. Wife still recuperating from heart surgery and youngest boy has hockey practice and tryouts for next year, the next 2 weekends.
I literally have not been home before 9pm the last 4 nights. Haven’t actually seen it in the daylight since Sunday so no time to even start on it.

Y-Guy
I did it back with our 2005 Raptor. Let me see if I still have my write up and photos.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it's an option and they already have the strong points to tie into, you just need a set of cables of the appropriate length.

Alternatively, you could get a couple of adjustable legs and run a board across the rubber stops that normally sit on the ground. Just need a way to secure it to the outside of the door.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
I haven't seen any pictures lately, but plenty of people have posted pics here over the years. It's not a hard job.

If you can, go visit a few local dealers and pretend you're kicking tires. Take a look at how the cables are anchored.

I've also seen people fab braces out of jack stands, but that looks pretty iffy to me.

As far as the fence goes, as long as you don't have dogs or little kids, you should be OK.

As I type this though, I just remembered a friend in our group whose cables broke while he was standing on his ramp. He had his infant granddaughter in his arms at the time and had to tuck and roll to protect her. It was insane to see. This was on a bluff overlooking the beach, and he was lucky he didn't have one of the spots where his ramp cantilevered over the bluff.

Be careful and go ahead and over-engineer it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230