cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this hitch wrong?

l99057j
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a travel trailer last year. Knowing nothing about towing I used the setup as provided and haven't had any real issues. I've recently upgraded to a 3/4 ton truck and because it sits higher I expect to have to adjust my setup. Now that I'm reading up and learning more I'm starting to question some things about the setup we've been using.

Below is a photo of my hitch. My understanding is that when it has the added triangular support it is meant to be used in a drop configuration only. Am I right in saying that this should never have been installed in this configuration or is it acceptable?

Note: Moderator edit to fix picture link.
13 REPLIES 13

GordonWell
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what size receiver you have on your vehicle, your towing capacity is always limited to the lowest-rated component in your application. Whether that be your tow vehicle, the hitch, the ball mount, your trailer or any other component of your towing application.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lets see how many responses we can generate.

It's fine either way.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
BarneyS wrote:
The hitch can be used either way - up or down. Whoever told you it couldn't is mistaken.
Barney

DITTO.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
That triangle piece is there for reinforcement. Up or down won't matter.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
You are incorrect in you thinking. The hitch can be used either way - up or down. Whoever told you you couldn't is mistaken.
Barney

Correct. And preferably point it down to eliminate the possibility of contact with your tailgate. Your new truck is higher so you would probably want it that way anyway.

I towed with that style hitch for many years only in the Equalizer brand.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can use the stinger either way, no different.
That drop hitch should be sufficient for most stock height HD pickups.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
If itโ€™s been towing right the way the WDH was adjusted on the previous truck, you just need to determine the correct height change to put the ball at its previous working height. Use the same number of tilting washers on the ball mount.

I had to flip mine up to raise the ball about 5โ€ after underspringing my TT axle.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Properly adjusted it will work fine. It's Huskys version of the tried and true Equalizer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are incorrect in you thinking. The hitch can be used either way - up or down. Whoever told you you couldn't is mistaken.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Who cares how you have been towing, you will need to turn the hitch over for the new truck. Set it up like the directions say. Remember to tighten it up good and check it before a long trip. Not knowing what your TT is, you may not need the wdh set that tight. I dont really need mine with the new truck but use it for the sway controll. I also had to ajust where the arms conected to the toung. But i also have a diffrent hitch. Good luck, do the measurements and set it up like you just got it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Most can be dropped or raised and are advertised for both. What brand and model do you have?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Should be fine.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see a picture.