cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions to replace Rockwood Mini Lite 2306

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
We were on vacation (still are) when I got a text that the barn we were storing our 2015 Mini Lite 2306 and our boat burned down. Looking at getting our next camper very shortly.

TV: 2020 Silverado 1500, Crew Cab w/ standard bed, 5.3 L V8. Rated towing capacity 9600 lbs (w/ WD hitch).

Some trailer specifics: We camp almost exclusively in state parks, so length is a concern. Our 23โ€™ fit almost everywhere, and I think somewhat bigger would be okay and still fit in most sites, but I donโ€™t want to go crazy here. Perhaps around 30โ€™? Not really sure, without having used a longer camper itโ€™s hard to say for certain.

Insulation is a plus. I had put tank heaters on our camper but hadnโ€™t gotten them wired up before the fire. Our intention was to start doing at least some winter camping. Iโ€™m assuming at a minimum avoid the stick built models and stick with the fiberglass/styrofoam sandwich construction like our Mini Lite was? Should we get an enclosed basement with pre-installed tank heaters?

I figured slides would be great at expanding camper size without extending length too much, but Iโ€™ve also heard slides are not great for winter camping. Are slides and winter camping definite no or are they manageable and just a pain in the winter?

When not too hot so that AC is required we often camp in non-electric sites for reduced cost and increased site flexibility, as non-electric sites usually donโ€™t fill up as much. I know none come with good batteries but that I can do myself easily, our requirement is no AC only appliances. Our Mini Lite had LP/120 V fridge and water heater.

Sleeping: We currently have no kids though that may change in the future. Would like to go camping with at least one other couple a few times a year, so perhaps at least a double bed (or double bed bunks) would be preferable to just the typical sleeper dinette?

Budget is pretty flexible, but weโ€™re not probably looking at getting a Winnebago here. Lightly used is an option as well (we got our 2015 Rockwood in 2018). Specific brands to avoid or ones to look at are desired.
Formerly a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306, burned in a barn fire. Looking at replacements.
8 REPLIES 8

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Consider width. Your Winne was seven feet wide if I am not mistaken. Consider one of the 8 foot wide units. You will get more room as in a "real" dinette and not just two people. You get clothing "storage" next to the bed and if you get bunks, you can even find 40 inchers wide instead of just 28 to 32 inches.

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
Wrapping this thread up. We went to a local dealer to see how well the Cougars were built. We ended up buying a Keystone Cougar 29BHS. Itโ€™s longer than I wanted but it also has plenty of room to came with friends and if we have kids room for them. Out with it the first time this weekend.
Formerly a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306, burned in a barn fire. Looking at replacements.

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
And looking closer now I see that nobody actually has a 25RDS for sale. They are all "Coming Soon" or "Sale Pending." With COVID and all this is probably about the worst time to be buying a camper I suppose.

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œbut weโ€™re not probably looking at getting a Winnebago here.โ€

Winnie towables are competitively priced. Take a look.

I will have to take a look. Thanks!

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the 22RBS and it seems a tad smaller than Iโ€™d like. But then I saw the 25RDS and I love it! My wife likes it too. Closed bedroom, dinette plus reclining sofa or recliners. Plenty of room for group camping trips on rainy days, or camping with another couple in our camper. May have to go check one out soon.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œbut weโ€™re not probably looking at getting a Winnebago here.โ€

Winnie towables are competitively priced. Take a look.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We went from a Mini-Lite 2305 to a Cougar 22RBS and it was quite a step up. If there are just the two of you it will be a welcomed change to have a full time bed. Lots of room and storage and well within your tow limits and we found construction to be much sturdier and the fram much more robust. Whatever you choose, enjoy it!

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
oops....forgot rules...:)
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.