cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubber Roof help

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Trip is going very well. Left Florida almost 2 weeks ago and drove to Virginia to see my daughter and family, then headed to Indiana. Arrived here safe and sound. Refrigerator is not working on electric. I knew this before I left, so it's running on gas. I made an appointment with the Amish in Shipshewana. Turns out fridge works fine on electric, but the receptacle in the fridge box does not work. The Amish was not an electrician and didn't want to delve into it further, so I have an appointment Monday with Charger Enterprises in Elkhart to get it fixed. I am camped down at my sister's south of Warsaw. I have electric and water here which is fine.

I have another problem I need help with. I have a leak that is dripping from the roof A/C when it rains. I mentioned to a friend I wanted to get some sealant and reseal around the A/C. He cautioned that because of the rubber roof, I had to be careful what I used on it. So what products should I use? I figure I need a cleaner to clean the area first, then I would add new caulk to stem the water drip. I can go to Factory surplus in Elkhart or Johnson's in White PIgeon and either one should have it. Just wondered what your go-to product is for such a repair.

Thanks!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
17 REPLIES 17

ronfisherman
Good news Dale.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
A friend of mine in the camp is an electrical engineer and wanted a crack at the fridge. The outlet was faulty. You could jiggle it and it would flash power intermittently. So he went to Menard's and bought $1.87 worth of parts and installed a new outlet. He did a great job and the fridge now runs on electric and switches back and forth from gas to electric when on auto. Thanks, Roger. You saved the day!

I kept my appointment and had them address the leak, which after the rain last night, was more of a waterfall in the motorhome. They checked the gasket and it was substantial, so he snugged up the A/C and tested it with a water hose. It works great now. . . no more leaking, although he would have preferred I authorize a new roof. LOL

Back at the camp, I filled with propane only to find that the yellow cap on the fill valve had disappeared. Was there last time I filled. So off to find the part. Found it next door at the RV sales place. $3.00. Back in business.

So all is well. I even restrung my day/night shade myself. Whoo hoo!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am glad all is fixed.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
bobndot wrote:
Dale, many youtube videos to show you how to access the AC bolts. They are all similar. Here is one as he pops off the cover.

https://youtu.be/cct1QfLiT6s

Thank you so much for that video. That is exactly the A/C cover I have and I didn't know how to get those two bolts out. I think I can do this now. I had looked for a video that showed my cover, but I never found it. Thanks again!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dale, many youtube videos to show you how to access the AC bolts. They are all similar. Here is one as he pops off the cover.

https://youtu.be/cct1QfLiT6s

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
DrewE wrote:
Check to see if the GFCI is tripped. Sometimes the fridge outlet is on the GFCI circuit (since it's partly exposed to the outside).

As I said before, there is one GFI outlet in the coach and it is NOT tripped. I use it everyday.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Check to see if the GFCI is tripped. Sometimes the fridge outlet is on the GFCI circuit (since it's partly exposed to the outside).

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
Is anyone using a voltmeter?

Yes, and I mentioned that in my earlier post. They swapped out the brain board as well, but determined that the original was working. The fridge is doing what it's supposed to, just no power in that recep.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using a voltmeter?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
Refrigerator is not working on electric. I knew this before I left, so it's running on gas.Turns out fridge works fine on electric, but the receptacle in the fridge box does not work.
Ok, you've lost me here.

a) refer not working on electric
b) works fine on electric
c) what is a receptacle in the fridge box?? I assume the 120v

"With regard to the fridge, there is no juice going to the outlet. Glen checked the converter for broken wires, "

The converter has nothing to do with 120v.

Help.

The Dometic Fridge does not work on electric as it is configured. It has an electric receptacle in the fridge box it is plugged into. When set on auto, it runs solely on gas because there is no power to that recep. If you take the cover off outside, you can see it plugged into an outlet. That outlet is not working. It is working on gas. In testing, they found if they unplugged the fridge from that receptacle and plugged it into power via an extension cord, it works perfectly. So it is working on electric and gas, but won't work plugged into the receptacle inside the fridge box. So it is either a bad receptacle or there is a broken wire between the converter and the receptacle in the box.

Perhaps I said it incorrectly, but they opened the box, which I thought was labeled converter. It is where all the power comes in and has fuses and breakers and the power surge protector. Everything in there checked out, and wires go from there throughout the coach. So that's why they checked that.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
Refrigerator is not working on electric. I knew this before I left, so it's running on gas.Turns out fridge works fine on electric, but the receptacle in the fridge box does not work.
Ok, you've lost me here.

a) refer not working on electric
b) works fine on electric
c) what is a receptacle in the fridge box?? I assume the 120v

"With regard to the fridge, there is no juice going to the outlet. Glen checked the converter for broken wires, "

The converter has nothing to do with 120v. Are you talking about an inverter?

Help.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Thank you all for the thoughts. With regard to the fridge, there is no juice going to the outlet. Glen checked the converter for broken wires, bad breaker and blown fuses. His idea is the recep is bad or there is a broken wire from the converter to the fridge. He was using a volt ohm meter. Billy was sure they would be able to find it. Every other outlet and everything electrical is working. I have one GFI outlet and I use it every day. I only have 5 inside outlets and they all work. I have 2 outside and they both work.

I don't know how to get the A/C plate on the ceiling off. There are only two visible screws and they look like pop rivets. I will do some checking on it. I'm not sure they will be able to look at that when I get the fridge fixed as I think they are working me in, but I will ask.

Thanks for your help. I know now what NOT to do!

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Check all your GFCI outlets to make sure none are tripped. Fridge outlet may be connected to one
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
ronfisherman wrote:
Stopping the leak may be as simple as tightening the bolts that hold AC to roof. They can be accessed by removing grill in ceiling to AC. Do not over tighten.

X2. Thats the first thing to try. Worked twice for me.