cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So are there any decent 1141 replacement LEDs these days?

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
About 5 years or so ago I bought one of those cheap-o twenty-count boxes of LED lightbulbs for interior RV fixtures. 1141 bayonet base style.

They look kind of like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/JAVR-10-3000K-Replacement-Interior-Lighting/dp/B071G5Q643

They worked OK to start with, but very quickly they started giving off an electrical/ozone kind of smell, and individual LED banks on the bulbs started flickering and eventually burning out. Most of them still work but are partially burned out to one degree or another.

I'd like to buy some more and I hope that over the years they have gotten better, but reading Amazon reviews many are still experiencing similar problems.

Then, too, it's hard to trust online reviews today with all the fake padding of reviews going on.

This one seems highly rated:

https://smile.amazon.com/Antline-20-Packs-Replacement-Trailer-Interior/dp/B08DFGSHG2

Can anyone suggest quality 1141 LED replacements?

Thanks,
Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

12 REPLIES 12

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
This is my source for LED's and has been for several years. Excellent quality and lots of options. This link is for the 1141/1156 options Click Here, but they have lots of other replacements as well.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

If vendor can't get their info right before posting it on Amazon, I tend to believe that vendor is selling less than stellar quality items making them sound far better than they are when I see discrepancies like that..

That's sort of like every brochure ever printed, or website put up by RV manufacturers, that touts the high level of quality craftsmanship and amount of quality control or assurance they provide. Then you buy one and find out they're all BS statements.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
All of my LEDs come from M4 products and no where else. Quality products and never a problem with them. converted 3 RVs now, and one bi-pin G4 light failed and they replaced it promptly. Nothing else ever has failed. Great service. You get what you pay for, good LED lights are not cheap.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mex, I was pointing out an discrepancy in the Amazon page.

That discrepancy is in the voltage rating.

The vendor first states range of 10V-24V which makes it look like a "wide voltage range".

But when you scroll down the page and read the smaller details it states 10V-18V which is not a very wide voltage range.

If vendor can't get their info right before posting it on Amazon, I tend to believe that vendor is selling less than stellar quality items making them sound far better than they are when I see discrepancies like that..

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't get all in a huff about the voltage disparity. Many CREE circuits advertise a 10-30 volt input range. What I see is the upper 20% limit allows the circuit to get hotter which may not be tolerated too well in hot climates. Active voltage regulation is performed by switching which means electronic noise.
Simply adding a 3 amp axial diode to the 12+ supply wire will automatically drop voltage about .6 volt. This would mean a reduction from 14.0 to 13.4 volts. Heating reduction can be dramatic. Lifespan could be increased from a few hundred hours to decades lifespan.
I've made night lights out of bright LED lamps by using a diode on the + Side and a second on the - side.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
These from Amazon not cheap but the performance and light is amazing.
Yes, and it says this in the description:

-"This LED is designed to withstand a wide operating voltage range for RV Camper Trailer Motorhome 5th Wheel and Marine Boat."

Something is wrong in the description in the Amazon link above if you read the actual description text.

"1156 / 1141 Base LED Replacement Bulb 300 LUMEN 10-24v Natural White - Beam pattern: 120 degree. -Description- -Bright 300 Lumens, 1156/1141 wedge base 120 degree angle bulb -Built with the finest LED lighting technology and materials. -Wide Voltage Range: 10-18 Volt DC"

First is states 10-24V and then it states 10-18V.

Which voltage range is it?

Granted 18V will be "compatible" with RV charging systems that have possibility as much as 15V, it doesn't leave much room either..

That is a narrow voltage range and indicates that it is a cheaper LED that uses a current limiting resistor or nor current limiting at all.

Generally you should be on the lookout for the ones that state 10V-30V as those are using a switching power supply setup in current limiting mode.

Ones using current limiting resistor or no current limiting will vary in brightness with variations of the voltage and tend to run rather hot when run at upper limit voltages..

All one can do is buy a small qty and try it.. If it doesn't work, try a different one. I quit recommending specific brands as they come and go like the wind..

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
These from Amazon not cheap but the performance and light is amazing.
Yes, and it says this in the description:

-"This LED is designed to withstand a wide operating voltage range for RV Camper Trailer Motorhome 5th Wheel and Marine Boat."
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my lights with LEDs several years ago and like you had problems and was not satisfied with them so I tried a few others with about the same result until I got These from Amazon not cheap but the performance and light is amazing.

If you find it hard to trust online reviews today with all the fake padding of reviews going on,I would suggest using Fakespot to find trustworthy reviews. I always use it for my purchases from Amazon and have found it trustworthy.

As with this product,Fakespot Review
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good luck with leds from superbrightleds.com.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
What happens is your converter puts out a higher voltage than the cheaper bulbs can stand. Look for bulbs with a larger voltage range tolerance. I've had leds in my coach for years without burnouts, but I have a DC/DC converter that keeps it all at around 12.8

Any bulb designed for vehicle use should be fine to at least 14 volts.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a 10 pack from Amazon to replace all my basement compartment lights. Fairly new so no comment there but they are bright. Long term will have to wait. I also replaced my outside door light and that one has been on for about a month straight (I tend to forget it)
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
What happens is your converter puts out a higher voltage than the cheaper bulbs can stand. Look for bulbs with a larger voltage range tolerance. I've had leds in my coach for years without no burnouts, but I have a DC/DC converter that keeps it all at around 12.8
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman