cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is the year of the coach based on the year of the chassis

RVing_in_Montan
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2021 Thor Omni. Going thur the paper work after we got home we discovered that it is on a 2020 Ford F550 Chassis. Is that common? The dealer never said anything and its the weekend and I'm waiting for a response.

KC
30 REPLIES 30

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
phil-t wrote:
Common - yes. We have 2010 Vista 32k on a '09 F53 Chassis. Big deal if there was a major change in the chassis - like from 5sp to 6sp auto trans. Or, V10 to V8.

Yes. I was making that point with an example where you got a better alternator.

(It is not so simple to change an alternator in a C, where it is under/behind things crammed in there. Also in another article it came out you have to file away part of the 2G bracket to fit a 3G ISTR.--doesn't matter now , it was just an example.)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duralast Gold alternator for that 200 dollars plus labor. If an alternator is why you walked away....hhmmm......

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
"A 2G alternator's biggest issue: an under-capacity rectifier and power connector (A). The connection and large, hollow case cavity were corrosion-prone, which increased resistance, causing voltage drops and heat build-up. Result: early unit failure, and even electrical fires"

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/install-high-output-ford-3g-alternator-older-fords/

According to that, the 3G came out in the 94s, not the 92s like I said. So that means you could not spot a 92 by its headlight shape, etc and know it has a 3G. If the 94 C has a 93 chassis with a 2G, that would be a problem for me, but it is all history now.

I do imagine the same sort of thing can be happening with more recent model years.
Interesting article, but I do see that it is pretty simple to change out the 1G/2G alternator with a 3G, so the idea that the alternator would be the deciding factor in whether or not to purchase a particular RV is unlikely, at least from my perspective, although yours may be different. I also see nothing in the article (other than the one picture caption) mentioning fires. If it was common or "infamous", as you suggest, I'd expect the article itself would mention it in the text.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"A 2G alternator's biggest issue: an under-capacity rectifier and power connector (A). The connection and large, hollow case cavity were corrosion-prone, which increased resistance, causing voltage drops and heat build-up. Result: early unit failure, and even electrical fires"

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/install-high-output-ford-3g-alternator-older-fords/

According to that, the 3G came out in the 94s, not the 92s like I said. So that means you could not spot a 92 by its headlight shape, etc and know it has a 3G. If the 94 C has a 93 chassis with a 2G, that would be a problem for me, but it is all history now.

I do imagine the same sort of thing can be happening with more recent model years.
Photo in Profile

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
" I would suggest no one would actually consider a lesser alternator as "waste of time" on a used RV, as you suggest.."

The 1991 Fords and earlier had a bad type of alternator that was infamous for catching fire for some unlucky owners. It also has low amps, which hinders "alternator charging" of the House batteries. The 92s got a newer, better, higher amp alternator, so it is important in that case.

(This was all discussed a while ago on Tech Issues with Mex supplying the gory details on the 91's alternator fires.) My 91 has that alternator, but it is doing ok so far. Fingers crossed.

Doesn't matter now of course, but I thought it might be the same thing with new "generation" changes that matter. AFAIK there are some recent changes to alternator regulation that also affect House charging, so people are getting DC-DC chargers. I don't know what chassis years are involved, but it could matter to some buyers perhaps.
Hmmmm, this is the first I've heard of alternator fires being common or infamous. Neither of mine had issues ('79 & '88...oops; '87 :)), and replacing an alternator with a better unit would likely be relatively inexpensive. So I'm not saying that an alternator is not relevant, just that it wouldn't be a "waste of time".
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
" I would suggest no one would actually consider a lesser alternator as "waste of time" on a used RV, as you suggest.."

The 1991 Fords and earlier had a bad type of alternator that was infamous for catching fire for some unlucky owners. It also has low amps, which hinders "alternator charging" of the House batteries. The 92s got a newer, better, higher amp alternator, so it is important in that case.

(This was all discussed a while ago on Tech Issues with Mex supplying the gory details on the 91's alternator fires.) My 91 has that alternator, but it is doing ok so far. Fingers crossed.

Doesn't matter now of course, but I thought it might be the same thing with new "generation" changes that matter. AFAIK there are some recent changes to alternator regulation that also affect House charging, so people are getting DC-DC chargers. I don't know what chassis years are involved, but it could matter to some buyers perhaps.
Photo in Profile

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Why is this going on? We all know the model year of the coach most likely not the year of the vin number.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
There's nothing misleading about it. I understand your reasoning, but this is not the world of cars/trucks; You are not buying/selling/registering a bare chassis, you are buying/selling/registering a complete RV, and while a major chassis change may very well make a difference, I would suggest no one would actually consider a lesser alternator as "waste of time" on a used RV, as you suggest. The manufacturer's brochure will normally list the basic drivetrain mechanicals that apply to the first units built in that model year, and then there may in fact be upgrades midyear (when the newer chassis begin their trip down the coach assembly line). So you are actually more likely to get better than the brochure lists, but never worse in the case of split year RVs. Doubtful that you would complain about those improvements/upgrades, right?

I live in CA. My last coach was a 1988 Jamboree, built in 1987 on a 1987 Ford Chassis, and that chassis was actually built in late 1986. So was it a 1986, 1987, or 1988? It was correctly registered as a 1988. CA does in fact, follow the Federal guidelines (I'm sure that exceptions occur, but they are the exception, not the rule).

The only hassle is that when purchasing chassis or tune-up parts, you will need to purchase for an earlier model year, particularly if there were changes. I had to remember to buy for a 1987 rather than 1988, as there were significant changes at that time (Carb vs FI, for example). That was indeed a big change, but I bought the rig knowing it was carb.

Keep in mind, if the chassis and coach had to match, there wouldn't be any current model year coaches even available until mid-year:(. You want to purchase a new 2021 RV? You would need to wait till June of 2021.

Zieman Jetski Trailer

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
"" so you have to advertise it according to the correct generation/year.""

You sell it based on what the Title says, you purchased it based on what the title says. If the finisher/manufacturer titled the vehicle as a 2001 2003 whatever THAT is the year of the vehicle. period.
Not on what the headlights look like. The seller cannot change what is on the title, the laws concerning this are very clear. And those that wonder why DMV gets confused?

Good day.

Yes, but I meant you don't want to see an ad for an X year C that you know has the new alternator and when you go to look at it, you see it is the previous year's model with the older not so good alternator, so you wasted your time. You think the seller should have said this in his ad.

If the Law says you must call it X year in your ad, then you can still mention the actual chassis year so not to mislead buyers can't you?
Photo in Profile

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
"" so you have to advertise it according to the correct generation/year.""

You sell it based on what the Title says, you purchased it based on what the title says. If the finisher/manufacturer titled the vehicle as a 2001 2003 whatever THAT is the year of the vehicle. period.
Not on what the headlights look like. The seller cannot change what is on the title, the laws concerning this are very clear. And those that wonder why DMV gets confused?

Good day.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could matter if the "generation" changed that year. I don't know about new ones, but eg, the 1992 Ford changed from the 1991s and before, with a better alternator etc. You can spot a 92 from a 91 just by its headlights.

So if you are a new buyer and there has been a generation change since last year, you should be able to spot that before buying the old style.

Years later and now you are selling, the buyer will notice if it is the older or newer generation that changed that year, so you have to advertise it according to the correct generation/year.

If the chassis hasn't changed from last year, who cares?
Photo in Profile

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Is everyone in CA this ignorant of what goes on in the rest of the world? Come on man!

Not everyone ,just the DMV.:W

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is everyone in CA this ignorant of what goes on in the rest of the world? Come on man!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
You might think different if you think you bought a new one and when you register your brand new $230,000+ coach it is 2 years old and you haven't even used it yet.

You did buy a new coach. The chassis has been sitting waiting for the house to be built. The date it is completed is the registered date of the vehicle and on the title. If the states listened to federal law then there would be less confusion. I see no conspiracy or hiding the facts here, it's a common practice.
You buy a 2021 and it's on a 2020 chassis the title says its a 2021 . You sell it it's a 2021. kapeesh?

This is the problem. Very few rigs are properly registered. The state DMVs will automatically go by the chassis VIN, so unless you are aware and are planned to fight it and get them to correct the model year, that 2021 is registered as a 2020. And you have to sell it as a 2020.

That's incorrect. The Title given to the buyer from the manufacturer has the year the unit was completed regardless of the chassis year. My 2009 itasca had a 2008 Chassis. I had in my possession the original title from Itasca.It said 2009. Now, California chooses to not educate their DMV what is federal law. All that is needed is a letter from
the manufacturer stating the law, which by the way is easy to get, and you present it to DMV. I did mine through AAA. There was no fighting involved. They changed it
without a problem.
California checks VIN numbers from out of state vehicles and are too ignorant to understand the partial build laws. IF it was purchased in Ca, no problem.