cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fast tongue jack

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any recommendation on a fast tongue jack for a 7500lb TT.

We just bought a new TT and the electric jack is extremely slow.

Thank you

MC
24 REPLIES 24

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
I was serious with that comment. My time is valuable. Maybe yours isn't.

Cant be that valuable you've posted worthless comments twice.
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Vinman02
Explorer
Explorer
May want to check the wiring of the jack to the battery.
A few years ago I installed a power jack and didnโ€™t pay close enough attention when making the electrical connection (2x6 volt batteries) which resulted in having only 6 volts feeding the jack. It worked but was extremely slow, like taking about 5-6 minutes to fully extend. A simple rewire to provide a full 12 volts fixed the problem
2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Cummins
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y
Honda EU3000i

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
JWF wrote:
Caution with the folding foot, unless you bungee it up while traveling it has tendency to drop down.
And It tends to fold up on uneven ground.

Then it's broken. It has a 1/2" dia, spring loaded steel pin that must be pulled for it to move from either position. Drop the tongue hard enough (like my dealer did) and it will break. Otherwise it will never move on its own.

JWF
Explorer
Explorer
Caution with the folding foot, unless you bungee it up while traveling it has tendency to drop down.
And It tends to fold up on uneven ground.
MichJoe
Roseville, Mich

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
speediq99 wrote:
If you don't like the question, don't waste your time and everyone else's with an answer.

You made assumptions and that is always dangerous.

I've had a lot of electric jacks before. Most of them were not only fast, they were powerful. This one is a weak snail. Not only that when the base hits the support point, it slows down to a trickle. It is not 45 secs. This makes things time consuming hitching and unhitching with an Equilizer bar that tends to bind on the ball.

Stiffling conversations is not the best way to encourage people who are new to this is and frequent this forum. I have always gotten some really good ideas here. People are kind and helpful, not shameful.

We have all learned one way or another by reading and asking questions. At times, the most stupid questions get answered with stuff I've never heard of after camping for nearly 25 yrs.

No big deal, just skip to the next topic when you don't like it.

MC

Sorry some people were snarky to you.

The voltage answer that some of the members gave is a good one though. The jack might be OK it was jut wired with the wrong gauge of wire.

Something to check out before you spend money on a replacement.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
This is not an electric, but the part I am sharing is the "drop leg".
LINK HERE .
You can drop the leg to almost touch the ground then you can start the lift (electric or hand crank) without all the dead air space you currently have to move through.
You might need to have the mount welded on.
I am able to raise the foot off the ground just enough to remove the entire jack, so no wasted cranking.
I imagine a drop foot can be had for an electric too.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
QCMan wrote:
Wow I never thought of getting a faster tongue jack! I could save at least 45 seconds each setting up and breaking down.

Sorry, I took this as tongue in cheek, certainly not something to get upset about.

QCMan wrote:

I would of took it more serious if you had not said you could save the same amount of time set up/break down. Most use the jack more on break down.

OP, I don't know much about electric jacks, but many 12VDC motors in other applications (winch, tarp, 2 speed rearends, and many starters.) have run slow when extra resistance caused low voltage to the motor. And low voltage is a good way to kill a good motor.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Baker VIP 3500 24" stroke. It's fast enough for me so I guess it's not real slow. I added one to a 2010 TT we had back then. We now have an 2019 ORV and they use the Baker VIP series. Super good customer service with Baker as well.
Back when I had my 2010 TT and a Baker VIP 3500 jack the switch broke past warranty. They sent me one for free.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the unit is operational, the odds are it's the model/mfg. There are some decent upgrades out there that even have hitch memory. Might be time to upgrade.

You could also get or make a jack lift.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't like the question, don't waste your time and everyone else's with an answer.

You made assumptions and that is always dangerous.

I've had a lot of electric jacks before. Most of them were not only fast, they were powerful. This one is a weak snail. Not only that when the base hits the support point, it slows down to a trickle. It is not 45 secs. This makes things time consuming hitching and unhitching with an Equilizer bar that tends to bind on the ball.

Stiffling conversations is not the best way to encourage people who are new to this is and frequent this forum. I have always gotten some really good ideas here. People are kind and helpful, not shameful.

We have all learned one way or another by reading and asking questions. At times, the most stupid questions get answered with stuff I've never heard of after camping for nearly 25 yrs.

No big deal, just skip to the next topic when you don't like it.

MC

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingbob wrote:
Put heavier wire ?

Itโ€™s a great suggestion. Whatโ€™s the question?
Use your words...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
QCMan wrote:

Must be why you have 2 Jacks! (In your sig)
PS. Donโ€™t be a tool...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
our "new" Trail Cruiser had an electrc jack when we bought it. it was really slow. then the switch failed, altho if i took it out of its housing i could get to work. then one the side lights burned out. so i replaced it with an old manual jack i had sitting around. much better, and helps keep me in shape, I'm 75 and need the excercise.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)