cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend An AC Unit

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
I have been checking around and it seems that my AC unit is not serviceable and different RV shops are telling me to just replace the unit. The current unit is non-ducted in a 23' Weekend Warrior. Since my trailer is over 10 years old, have things changed that much in AC units?
So if you would, throw out some recs and vendors if you would. I have access to a forklift and swapping it out doesn't look too tough.
9 REPLIES 9

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
unfortunately we've become a disposable society. When's the last time you took your T.V. to a repairman? Hell, we replaced our washer/drier last year because they were making funny noises but were 20 years old; didn't even call out a tech.

We were being really frugal at the beginning of the pandemic and couldn't replace our dishwasher. I tried to replace a few broken parts with parts from Amazon, but we finally gave up.

We did dishes by hand for about nine months before finally replacing it. It wasn't so bad when it was just the two of us, but our son came home when his University locked down, and he's not much of a dish washer.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
nayther wrote:
you're wrong. They ARE serviceable. Add a suction line service port to charge. First fix the leak, pull good vacuum and weigh in the proper charge.

Hey Steve - Ordinarily I'd tell someone to prove it when they make a contrary claim like this, but Nayther is an HVAC guy and I trust what he says.

thanks Dave

unfortunately we've become a disposable society. When's the last time you took your T.V. to a repairman? Hell, we replaced our washer/drier last year because they were making funny noises but were 20 years old; didn't even call out a tech. The company we've used for years has folded. Servicing small systems like that of our RV units is more comparable to fixing your refrigerator. Don't let someone install a "piercing" valve, they're prone to leaks. Make sure they're brazing in a Schrader type service port:

service port
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Y-Guy
That's awesome, wish more dealerships would actually fix them like that. Seems they don't want to touch them just replace them.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dedmiston
nayther wrote:
you're wrong. They ARE serviceable. Add a suction line service port to charge. First fix the leak, pull good vacuum and weigh in the proper charge.

Hey Steve - Ordinarily I'd tell someone to prove it when they make a contrary claim like this, but Nayther is an HVAC guy and I trust what he says.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely love our Atwood AirCommand. Super cold, very quiet, blows air a long ways and is very electrically efficient.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Get a 14,5 furrion

SMarquez
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a Coleman 13k. I am in the bigger is better camp. I was just wondering if there was a brand or model preference.

Y-Guy
Sadly they really are not serviceable, a throwaway item for the most part. My guess is you probably have a Coleman. Carrier exited the RV market so they are out of consideration. Dometic, Furrion, Advent, Atwood, RecPro all pop up on various sites. What unit do you have installed, do you know its BTU rating? I'd say the 13,500 BTU is the most common, but depending on how it does in the heat of SoCal maybe going bigger might be worth considering.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon