cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Recommendations

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
Not looking to replace our tires yet, but looking to add a spare. Rig came with Hankook Dynapro HT LT225/75R16, load rating of 115/112 (E) for single/dual and speed rating of S (112 mph). Have not run Hankook before and wondering about quality and longevity. I used to run Michelin, but based on the reviews, it looks like their quality may be slipping a little. What is everyone running on their Class C's? I'm looking for a spare now but would like to match the set when the time comes...Thanks!
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8
17 REPLIES 17

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
I realize this is an older thread but why has no one mentioned to the Op to save some money and decide what tires he will purchase in the near future. then go out and buy one and have it installed and put the old tire on as his spare tire. This seems best to me for being a great shopper!
Just curious if this would work. That's my plan as I am going to buy in just a few weeks. I will save a couple old ones (of coarse the best ones and use them as a spare tire).
Living The Dream- Not full timing but wintering in Texas
Lifes So Short--Let's go Rv'ing :W

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Hankooks have been around for quite a while. From use on tractor/trailer rigs to my own personal vehicles ( Ram truck and Toyota 4 Runner) they are as good or better than most tires available! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
fourthclassC wrote:
Cooper Discoverer HT3

Had Cooper Discoverer HT3's also. Good grip and quiet on the highway, although treadwear isn't the best.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, High quality brand name tires?? Are they better tires or is far more money spent advertising them? Is a brand name tire in Europe or Asia unknown in the US? And brand name in the US unknown in the rest of the world. Expiring minds need to know.

Seems as if one tire was so superior that no money would be spent on advertising, word of mouth would be all that was needed.

Kepler4
Explorer
Explorer
jyh818 wrote:
PatJ wrote:
The FORD replacement wheels you purchase from FORD parts are different than the ones installed at the factory despite the identical part #.

I'm looking to get a spare for my 2021 E450 Class C as well. I didn't realize that the specs are different with the same part number.

I had been considering getting 4 new Alcoa rims (2 front, 2 rear outer) and keeping the 2 rear steel inner. I saw a video saying why Ford had aluminum alloy rims on the outside, but steel inside because of the thicker aluminum rims. Having aluminum inner and outer would not have long enough wheel studs to hold. If I go this route and use my existing tires, I would then just need to get an additional tire for the spare on one of the 4 factory rims. The Alcoa rims run $1,199.

Hello, I looked into the Alcoa wheels for my 2021 E450 and could not get a quote from Les Schwab, America's/Discount Tire, or any shop near Walnut/Diamond Bar. May I ask where you got your quote and did you get those Alcoa's yet?
Thank you!
2021 Forest River Sun Seeker 2550 DSLE E450 chassis
Hellwig sway bars
Bilstein shocks

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
Hi ScottM,

If your rig is 29 feet or longer with one or more slide outs, you might want to consider those extra-capacity E-rated tires. It's like 500 pounds more per tire which means 2000 more pounds for the rear axle and 1000 more pounds on the front. But there is such a thing as "too much". A shorter lighter rig with over-rated tires translates to a more harsh ride. Just about everyone would agree that the continuous earth-quaking when being driven is undesirable. You don't want to make it unnecessarily worse.

For our 24 foot (2007 E350-DRW chassis) rig with no slide out, I am buying new tires in the next few weeks. I decided on Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 115/112R. Discount tire gave me a price on 6 for $1316 out the door. Our rig is 14 years old with 38,000 miles and still has the original tires in-part because we garage our rig. I had such a good experience with the original Michelin LTX tires that made no sense to try a different brand. I also like that they are "Made In USA".

Ron ... I'm curious.

Why are you going to have 115 tires put on you motorhome? Didn't it come stock with 225 tires on it like mine did ... along with so many other E350/E450 based motorhomes?

(I retrofitted our Class C with 115 tires in order to provide slightly more ground clearance.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not get a used wheel from a salvage yard or LKQ?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

jyh818
Explorer
Explorer
PatJ wrote:
The FORD replacement wheels you purchase from FORD parts are different than the ones installed at the factory despite the identical part #.

I'm looking to get a spare for my 2021 E450 Class C as well. I didn't realize that the specs are different with the same part number.

I had been considering getting 4 new Alcoa rims (2 front, 2 rear outer) and keeping the 2 rear steel inner. I saw a video saying why Ford had aluminum alloy rims on the outside, but steel inside because of the thicker aluminum rims. Having aluminum inner and outer would not have long enough wheel studs to hold. If I go this route and use my existing tires, I would then just need to get an additional tire for the spare on one of the 4 factory rims. The Alcoa rims run $1,199.
2002 Ford Excursion XLT 6.8L V-10 2WD, 4.30 Limited Slip
Rear Hellwig Sway Bar
2009 Skyline Nomad 260
Prodigy Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift WD Hitch

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ScottM,

If your rig is 29 feet or longer with one or more slide outs, you might want to consider those extra-capacity E-rated tires. It's like 500 pounds more per tire which means 2000 more pounds for the rear axle and 1000 more pounds on the front. But there is such a thing as "too much". A shorter lighter rig with over-rated tires translates to a more harsh ride. Just about everyone would agree that the continuous earth-quaking when being driven is undesirable. You don't want to make it unnecessarily worse.

For our 24 foot (2007 E350-DRW chassis) rig with no slide out, I am buying new tires in the next few weeks. I decided on Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 115/112R. Discount tire gave me a price on 6 for $1316 out the door. Our rig is 14 years old with 38,000 miles and still has the original tires in-part because we garage our rig. I had such a good experience with the original Michelin LTX tires that made no sense to try a different brand. I also like that they are "Made In USA".

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2019 class C came with the exact Hankook tires you mentioned. We are up to about 15k miles and don't have anything negative to say about them, If I had to replace them today and they were competitively priced I would probably buy them again. We camp a lot and will still probably age them out before 45k.

Something I want to share: I also wanted to add a spare as my C did not come with one, so I purchased an OEM Ford wheel as specified by Ford for my chassis by VIN (~$380,) which appeared identical to the factory installed wheels, and a Hankook tire identical to the OEM installed tires ($170.) The factory installed tires are made in Korea and the spare I purchased was made in USA but were otherwise identical. I purchased a steel valve stem from Napa and had it mounted and balanced at the local tire shop. My rig has an interior spare tire storage bin so I tossed it in and didn't give it another thought.

At the end of year 1 (spring 2020) I decided to rotate tires and put the spare on the rear. My FORD brand spare wheel with the identical part number to the chassis-cab wheels installed by factory RUBBED ON THE REAR BRAKES. It would NOT drive with the spare installed on the inner dual. I have to run the "spare" on the outer dual (I did not try it on the front, but the front brakes are even bigger than the rear.) So now I have one of the factory installed tires in the spare box and am running the "spare" I purchased on an outer dual. Reading online, I am not the first one with this problem. The FORD replacement wheels you purchase from FORD parts are different than the ones installed at the factory despite the identical part #.

My advice: If you choose to build a spare tire/wheel I recommend you either try it first or just go ahead and mount it on an outer dual position so a factory-installed wheel is your spare (assuming it will work anywhere.)
Patrick

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since we never know what kind of weather conditions we're going to wind up in when traveling in our Class C, I use combination mud and snow tires on our RV all the time. I would NEVER have the smooth, highway tread type tires on our rig.

Also since tire brands are so competitive, I figure that the more expensive tires are probably "better made" .. . or they wouldn't be around long. So far we have only used a couple of different designs of Load Range E Michelin tires on our Class C - they've been quiet, had great traction in a wide variety of situations, and seem to wear forever (with 60K-70K mileage tread wear warranties).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Spare?
I’d buy whatever I could find for $50 on Craigslist that isn’t too old.
New tire? Who cares, it’s a spare. It’s not like you’re trying to optimize ride, longevity, whatever. It’s meant to get you the rest of the way to point B when you had a flat halfway there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper Discoverer HT3

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hankook Dynapro HT original tires on my class c. Same size as stated.
VG tire. Been running them 15,000. Quiet , they are wearing well . Great on dry or wet roads. I also drive them on hard-pack dirt roads that can sometimes be muddy. No problems. Would buy again.