cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone install base plate on 2020 Escape hybrid

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Base plate on the way. Was wondering if anyone installed one?
Looking for some tips or tricks. Haven’t seen a video of one being installed on it.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
9 REPLIES 9

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike brez wrote:
Gjac wrote:
Nice job Mike, which model Escape did you get the gas version or the hybrid. I was looking at the hybrid and plug in hybrid which are towable also.

Hey Gary how you been?
I ended up with a 2020 Titanium Hybrid. I must admit I kinda miss my Wrangler but the technology and fuel mileage is much better. I really like my sons 2021 Rav4 Hybrid if it were towable I would have got one.
I bought the Rav 4 Hybrid in 2019 and averaging 42 mpgs. I wish it was towable also, so I started looking at the Escape hybrid, thinking that it could tow 3500 lbs as well as towable 4 wheels down but only the ICE escape can tow that much. I was holding out for the plug-in but where we live at $.22/KWH, gas would have to be $3.40 just to break even, so the hybrid is a better deal. Let us know how it is working out for you. I also read about people having trouble with a drained battery so I think a separate charge line is a good idea.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Nice job Mike, which model Escape did you get the gas version or the hybrid. I was looking at the hybrid and plug in hybrid which are towable also.

Hey Gary how you been?
I ended up with a 2020 Titanium Hybrid. I must admit I kinda miss my Wrangler but the technology and fuel mileage is much better. I really like my sons 2021 Rav4 Hybrid if it were towable I would have got one.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Y-Guy
Congrats on the self-install and thanks for sharing your experience.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
All done and wired up. Took about 7 hours. Wired tail lights with diodes and ran a charge line after hearing of a few dead batteries after towing.

2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Well you did great. This is about three hours in and a few beers Friday after work.
Hopefully I can complete it and the tail light wiring today(Saturday) and won’t need a Uber ride to work Monday lol.

2015 Wrangler JKU

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe comparing apples to oranges, but installed Roadmaster baseplate on my 2013 Ford Edge last weekend. Instructions were very good, so just follow closely. Took less than 3 hours with my 2 talented (take after their father;) ) sons. Hardest part was installing brake and breakaway cables for my ReadyBrake surge brake. Good luck!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
phil-t wrote:
What make towbar/baseplate setup are you using?

Roadmaster RM39FR baseplate with a Demco Aluminator tow bar.
2015 Wrangler JKU

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
What make towbar/baseplate setup are you using?
2014 Allegro 36LA