cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you back a camper for someone?

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
My husband returned home yesterday after over a month in hospitals and a Rehabilitation Center. He has been diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome. He has regained the ability to walk with a walker or rollator, has regained some of his use of hands and arms and his double vision is improving. He approached therapy has he has all of his 71 years, he said more, they said rest, he said faster, they said slow down. Now he will receive outpatient PT/OT but I know he will thrive if we can travel some. It may be many months before he can drive.
We downsized to a 21 ft. TT. I know I can drive the truck, pull it, unhitch and do the complete set up and close up. I also know that if I try to back it, it could be a disaster! If we camp close to home our son, son-in-law could back it for me. If we went further I am afraid that I would not be able to back it. He is an eternal optimist and says I will do fine. So my question is this. If you saw a person struggling to back, would you be willing just to back it for her?
30 REPLIES 30

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all your kind answers. My husband would help anyone also. I like the idea of practicing in a parking lot. He and our son and son-in-law could help me. My biggest concern was getting somewhere, having trouble and getting frustrated leading to a mess. He has come a long way in therapies but I think as the weather warms, going to a state park could really be important to his well being.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I would ask if the person needed a hand and would be more than happy to back it in if they asked me. I know from experience people do get frustrated when backing in and I wouldnโ€™t want to make them anymore frustrated by assuming they need my help. Ask and Iโ€™ll be happy to.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy and I saw a lady with a diesel pusher having issues backing and we helped her out. Men, however, have tended to want us to mind our own business so we just grab a beer and watch.

Or you could camp only where there are pull-thrus.

BTW, when I am setting up my dealer's RV shows I can park and set up 85 assorted trailers in 2 days using a forklift. But I still have trouble backing with my truck. Go figure, lol.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of us are wired to help those that cannot help themselves.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have watched people struggle to back in and have wanted to offer to back their trailer in for them but havenโ€™t because I think it might make them feel embarrassed. I have taught various people to back up a trailer well enough to get their commercial drivers license in a matter of minutes. Ask someone who is proficient at backing to teach you prior to going camping and youโ€™ll be fine. If you do struggle in the campground donโ€™t be afraid to ask someone for help.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thats why they have pull through sites.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I too was diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome and spent 10 weeks in hospital and rehab. I was almost totally paralyzed and could not even do up a button or operate the television remote. the GBS morphed into Chronic Inflammatory Dymylenating Polyneuropathy (which is chronic GBS) and now today I only use a cane when outside, and walk 30-40 minutes a day, and drive a standard shift car. It does get better (at least for me) by taking prednisone and infusions of immuglobulin every 3 weeks. Tell you hubby to stick to it. Hey I just got a new drone and license to fly. Also Google GBS support groups. Lots of good information there as well. Good luck on the backing in.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have helped several people also. For some reason, I can not tell you which way to turn the wheel, but I can back up better than most people I have ever met. Now a good friend we camp with a lot can tell someone exactly which way to turn the wheel.

I have also been yelled at and told "I know what I am doing" when they obviously don't have a clue when I have asked if they would like some help. I drove semis for 17 years, and I grew up on a farm, so I can back stuff up.

Another couple we camp with, well, she can back up a 4 wheel grain trailer with a tractor, but will not back up their boat. If you don't know what a 4 wheel grain trailer is, they are TOUGH to back up. So occasionally I get to back up their boat with her pickup which is much nicer than my pickup. So don't worry about asking for help, I would be very surprised if you didn't get help. Also don't be afraid to ask for help to back it up, someone will help you.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I am solo (widow) and have certainly accepted help in backing into a campsite if it was offered. Some people offer to guide me in, some would rather just back it in. At 77, I have no pride or shame and will accept any help offered when it comes to backing in. I try to get pull-thru's when possible.

You may be one of those who can back it in perfectly.. your husband maybe able to guide you in. Go for it.

I used to do all the work associated with traveling, so that part is still OK with me. Good Luck and happy trails.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I have jumped in and helped by driving several times over the decades, although I've not backed someone else's trailer yet. I have helped such cases by providing directions of the "turn the wheel left/right" sort.

So, yeah, I don't think the OP need worry that she'd be left stranded at a campground. Campers are usually helpful folks, in my experience (which -- scary thought -- now stretches back 65 years or so).

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
many years ago, I was living in a mobile home park and a late arrival was pulling a TT and was nervous about backing it in. the park owner knew that I backed my boat trailer all the time and thought I knew what I was doing and asked if I would back it in for them. :S a 15 ft boat is not the same as a 25 ft TT.

with plenty of spotters we were successful however. a large TT or 5er I would not attempt.
bumpy

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Learn for yourself.
Basics: Put a hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Move the your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. How far you move hand determines how much the trailer will turn.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have backed several in for other people. I have backed my 40ft DP into my driveway towing a 32ft enclosed trailer many, many times. All from the drivers side. You take your time and practice you will be ok just go slow and if its not going where you want stop, pull forward, and start over.....Don't worry about the gawkers, they to were learning once up on a time.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d donโ€™t offer to back someone elseโ€™s rig. Iโ€™ll offer to help guide them in but thatโ€™s as far as I go. Iโ€™ve never been able to back up boats, trailers, etc. thatโ€™s why I have a MH and a flat tow vehicle.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT