cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailering

paulfredricks
Explorer
Explorer
We just picked up our new camper and towed it back from Ohio to Connecticut. Smooth trip the whole way.

Our old trailer was 24'. This one is 32'. I knew it was going to be a bit different due to the increased size, but I was caught off guard by how interesting it can be getting in and out of a gas station.

Any tips from you vets out there who are pulling bigger units? Are there certain things you look for when it comes time for a fill up?

Thanks!
2004 Starcraft 215SSO
2014 GMC Yukon XL Denali
34 REPLIES 34

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
A tanker truck doesn't have to pull up to the gas pumps. Unfortunately, we can't fuel up where the tanker truck stops to unload.
The tanker driver has specific instructions of exactly how to enter, park, drop fuel and leave. These are all planned just as the OP would like to do.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
A tanker truck doesn't have to pull up to the gas pumps. Unfortunately, we can't fuel up where the tanker truck stops to unload.
He sill has to get in and out the same as you do regardless of where along the path he ultimately stops.

They generally have a straight in, offload, straight out for the tankers. The tankers don't have to try to maneuver by the pumps and make a hard turn to avoid hitting the building. But, you are right, they DO have to pull in and pull out.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
This last trip had all kinds of scenarios. "X" stations are the worst. I actually got myself trapped in one. Luckily the guy to the right of me finished just after I did and pulled his car away from the pump and parked it so I could get out.

I'm liking Pilot stations with their RV pumps!

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bobbo wrote:
He sill has to get in and out the same as you do regardless of where along the path he ultimately stops.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
If a tanker truck can get in there to fill the fuel storage tanks I’m pretty sure I can get in there with my trailer.

paulfredricks
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to most of you for the helpful info. Thinking about our trip back from Ohio I can recall that the station type with the X was quite right getting out and I would definitely avoid those if possible. The station type with the ?? was a bit tight, but definitely much easier. There are certainly exceptions to every rule.

Looking forward to a great camping season here in the northeast! Thanks again.
2004 Starcraft 215SSO
2014 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I burn diesel also and NEVER use Truckers Stations
Travel secondary/back roads and fill up using Mom/Pop Stations--standard fuel stations etc

If a fuel station gives you qualms then there are a lot of CGs that would cause you anxiety attacks
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Fuel stations designed for "BIG RIGS" are NOT "EVERYWHERE".

There are ZERO stations designed and built for "BIG RIGS" anywhere in my county.

Why do you and others INSIST that "BIG RIG" stations are "EVERYWHERE"?

To access a station designed and built for a "BIG RIG" in my case is a nice 50 minute one way drive to a different county where there is an old truck stop on a very busy Interstate.

Not "EVERYONE" travels 100% on an "Interstate" where one may find the likes of "Flying J's"..

I work in the real world, not some fantasy land where RVrs believe they are "BIG RIGs"..

Not to mention, I WANT to leave those truck stops alone, truckers are "on the clock", they DON'T GET PAID if they are sitting still.. The average truck driver is getting paid by the mile, been that way for many yrs, you stop them, hold them up or delay them you are cutting into their pockets for take home pay. You the average RV owner are clogging up the truck drivers place to fuel up hurting them while you have a blast on them..

How considerate of you..

And yes, many fuel stations must work within the confines of their land. Land isn't cheap, busy places tend to have much higher land costs but I have a hint for you.. It ISN'T all about the "land", it is also about the station CLERK being able to see YOU the "customer" at the pumps..

Customers at the pumps tend to be much easier to see when islands are lined up with the station.. So, high crime rates can influence the layout..

You are more than welcome to use whatever layout you like, but myself having to backout into traffic after taking on those layouts, I will skip those in the future..

I am just pointing out that many stations with that layout do not have enough space between the pump islands and vehicle parking in front of the building.. In those cases, your option is to wait several hrs for all the cars to vacate or back out.

Agreed, stations that can accommodate big RVs aren't every where...but parallel or perpendicular pump configuration isn't typically the determining factor in if it's easy to get in and out. It's the amount of land that's the primary driver.

Where do you travel that there are no stations that will handle big rigs? I have a relatively low 250 mile range...so if I fill up prior to hooking up, not many routes where I couldn't find a large easy to use station along the route if I had to fill up with the trailer hooked up (that includes leaving the interstate).

If truck stops don't want you filling up there they will put up a sign saying no RVs (in fact some do have separate RV pumps). As long as I fill up promptly and don't purposely delay them, I could care less if I get in line with the truckers. So since I work from the RV while traveling, do I get special consideration because it impacts my ability to work and earn money?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:

And I can pull up examples of your preferred layout that I would never consider with an RV.

I wouldn't make a habit of going there for other reasons (they tend to be madhouses)...but these guys have the layout you dislike but plenty of space. It's not uncommon to see 8-10 big RVs all fueling simultaneously.
https://buc-ees.com/

The issue with your example is they tightened everything up to fit a small land area, not the configuration.

Fuel stations designed for "BIG RIGS" are NOT "EVERYWHERE".

There are ZERO stations designed and built for "BIG RIGS" anywhere in my county.

Why do you and others INSIST that "BIG RIG" stations are "EVERYWHERE"?

To access a station designed and built for a "BIG RIG" in my case is a nice 50 minute one way drive to a different county where there is an old truck stop on a very busy Interstate.

Not "EVERYONE" travels 100% on an "Interstate" where one may find the likes of "Flying J's"..

I work in the real world, not some fantasy land where RVrs believe they are "BIG RIGs"..

Not to mention, I WANT to leave those truck stops alone, truckers are "on the clock", they DON'T GET PAID if they are sitting still.. The average truck driver is getting paid by the mile, been that way for many yrs, you stop them, hold them up or delay them you are cutting into their pockets for take home pay. You the average RV owner are clogging up the truck drivers place to fuel up hurting them while you have a blast on them..

How considerate of you..

And yes, many fuel stations must work within the confines of their land. Land isn't cheap, busy places tend to have much higher land costs but I have a hint for you.. It ISN'T all about the "land", it is also about the station CLERK being able to see YOU the "customer" at the pumps..

Customers at the pumps tend to be much easier to see when islands are lined up with the station.. So, high crime rates can influence the layout..

You are more than welcome to use whatever layout you like, but myself having to backout into traffic after taking on those layouts, I will skip those in the future..

I am just pointing out that many stations with that layout do not have enough space between the pump islands and vehicle parking in front of the building.. In those cases, your option is to wait several hrs for all the cars to vacate or back out.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Since some don't believe that the layout I don't like can be an issue, I wanted to post a pix of a local station that I don't dare pull a long trailer in, heck even a pickup truck can be a challenge to get out when this station is busy so I avoid it at all costs..

That station I added in green the orientation of the islands under the cover, islands are the full length of the cover, there is less than one car length between the end of the islands and the car parking spaces in front of the building..

You simply cannot make a turn with trailer in tow between the station building when the parking spaces are all filled.

And I can pull up examples of your preferred layout that I would never consider with an RV.

I wouldn't make a habit of going there for other reasons (they tend to be madhouses)...but these guys have the layout you dislike but plenty of space. It's not uncommon to see 8-10 big RVs all fueling simultaneously.
https://buc-ees.com/

The issue with your example is they tightened everything up to fit a small land area, not the configuration.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
I look for Shell stations. They usually have higher prices and are not crowded because of that.

Hahahahahaa.

Awesome haha!
Puma 30RKSS

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi... on the interstate I some times use the truck pumps. One word of caution the pumps are high volume out put and you have to manually hold down the lever about half open. Pumps deliver to much fuel if the lever is completely depressed and the fuel comes spilling out. On the plus side they are pull through. There can be a long wait ....
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I burn diesel so I fill up at truck stops with the commercial rigs.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900