cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unknown National Cavern outside Cody

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll bet you never heard of Shoshone Cavern National Monument aka Spirit Mt. A cavern right outside Cody that is gated and locked with no entrance to the public. I had never heard of it before but PPA put up an article about former National Parks and included this one.
Cody paper

According to that article you can get in by getting a permit froim the BLM and paying a key deposit
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
4 REPLIES 4

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
It was created as a national monument by President Taft on Sept 21, 1909.

In 1954, the local government convinced Congress to turn the management (or mis-management depending upon which version of the story you read) to the local government in Cody.

After "years of neglect" the former NM was returned to the federal government in 1977.

During our trip through the area in Sept 2017, I checked with BLM about making it a short stop on our trip. They told me that I could not get to the site while towing my trailer, no place to turn around, and I needed to dedicate a full day to the process.

Wyoming History Org

It is now called Spirit Mountain Cave. Located about 4 miles west of downtown Cody, Spirit Mountain Road is a twisty dirt / gravel route climbing the mountain south from US-14/ US-16
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
mleekamp wrote:
Thanks for the info....I've been thru and stayed in Cody before, but never knew of this.
X-2, Wish I had known.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info....I've been thru and stayed in Cody before, but never knew of this.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Thank you. Will take a look when next in Cody.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad