cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bluetooth Adjustable Converter?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a sort of rv.net tech issues survey, would you like your converter to have a bluetooth module that you could set the charging parameters Vabs and Vabs timing to any voltage and time, kind of like this? :

Most converters are not adjustable, but do not meet many typical battery charging specs, which can be frustrating. If a solar controller or the charger in an inverter/charger can have this, why not a converter?

Would you use it if yours had it? is the question. Thanks.

https://www.custommarineproducts.com/uploads/1/4/3/7/1437708/using_the_ep_controller_bluetooth_app_1...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
22 REPLIES 22

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
BFL13 wrote:
As a sort of rv.net tech issues survey, would you like your converter to have a bluetooth module that you could set the charging parameters Vabs and Vabs timing to any voltage and time, kind of like this? :

Most converters are not adjustable, but do not meet many typical battery charging specs, which can be frustrating. If a solar controller or the charger in an inverter/charger can have this, why not a converter?

Would you use it if yours had it? is the question. Thanks.

https://www.custommarineproducts.com/uploads/1/4/3/7/1437708/using_the_ep_controller_bluetooth_app_1...

you can buy chargers/converters that are adjustable by either onboard screen and buttons or bluetooth already.. are you just trying to find out who uses them or what exactly are you after? the rv industry wont install them but the dealer may as an upgrade, which is probably why you dont see them in RV's.

my solar controloler in used in my camper is all bluetooth programable and I'll probably upgrade the one in the 5th next.

and when I switch the batteries out I will be upgrading the converters to bluetooth also.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
NO

I went lithium partially to avoid such complications. When a system is well designed you don't need to tweak it or even monitor it!
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

MrWizard
A BT controlled buck boost DC to DC converter
Install in the charge line near the batteries
And set your charging profile to the desired characteristics

That would be a nice gadget, a handy development
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The converter itself would have to have adjustable parameters for the remote or BT to be able to change, so you couldn't just add one of these to your old converter"

Hmmmm. My Renogy DC-DC charger has a buck/boost converter in it and DIP switches for various settings and charging profiles for various battery types (limited choices however)

What if the gizmo being invented right here ๐Ÿ™‚ could be added to your old converter that is doing say 13.8v and you had remote or BT to adjust your added new gizmo's not so limited choice of parameters ? No new converter needed!
Photo in Profile

red31
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Been 8 years since I set my solar controller. Have not even looked at the settings since.

so you used software (app) and a cable connected to a computer to do this?

I did this with BT & phone once, seemed simpler than piss anting a laptop to the garage and finding a cable.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
My adjustable voltage converter has a knob on top which I can turn to dial in a voltage while watching a voltmeter. It stays there till I dial in a different voltage, such as dropping it from a chosen Vabs to some chosen float voltage. I am the timer --which works for me, but it would be nice to be able to set times

With the PowerMax LK models, the knob on top is gone and you now poke a small screwdriver into a hole in the side of the converter. Not too bad if you happen to be able to get at the converter and see what you are doing at the same time as seeing a voltmeter.

Some sort of remote like wired or BT would take the awkwardness of that away no matter how far they stuck your converter in where you can't get at it in a dark cubbyhole, and it could have programmable timing parameters too besides adjustable voltages.

The converter itself would have to have adjustable parameters for the remote or BT to be able to change, so you couldn't just add one of these to your old converter.

The BT would only monitor what the converter is doing, so you would still need a battery monitor to see what amps are going to/from the battery and do AH counting

EDIT--I was thinking they should be able to have the voltage adjustment on a sliding scale with a readout of the voltage, sort of like the way you can set the volume of your ring sound on a cell phone
Photo in Profile

dedmiston
MrWizard wrote:
The solar controller I installed in the Safari is Bluetooth controlled, and I really like having that function,

I'm kind of a geek and I love to lie in bed as the sun is coming up and watch the app to see when the panels actually start to charge. It's always amazing to me to see how quickly the numbers come up in the morning.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been 8 years since I set my solar controller. Have not even looked at the settings since. Why would I want that on my phone?

14.4, 13.6, 13.2 is fine for the converter. Yes If I went lithium I might want something else. Although I have my doubts. BT program on my phone should not be needed. I would deal with it if BT/phone was necessary but would not seek it out.

I expect to use same battery format for 6 to 8 more years. Will see what is needed if I move to a MH after that time. Remember I don't even have a real battery monitor. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Never seemed to need it.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
If you are in range of BT you can just hit the Wizard if you are so inclined.
I will be out on a hike or fishing while you tend this trivia.

BT is just a way to do the adjustments/settings. If you want to do them manually, that's fine. But it is not "trivial" to choose a charging profile that matches your battery specs.

You have explained how you did all that "trivial" stuff with your Morningstar controller to set it up. Why would you not want to be able to do that with your converter too?

You are happy with 14.4v and being able to use the CW, but that does not work for everyone. What if you changed your batteries to ones with a different set of charging specs? You could reset your converter instead of buying a new converter --if you could ever find one with the right settings.
Photo in Profile

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are in range of BT you can just hit the Wizard if you are so inclined.
I will be out on a hike or fishing while you tend this trivia.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The example BT in the OP is just for example.

The issue is that most converters do not have adjustable charging profiles, and their profiles do not match many battery specs.

Idea is mostly to set the parameters you want and then leave it. If you need to change anything you could. Not something you would have to be on top of all the time.

PD with the Charge Wizard does not let you pick Vabs voltage, but it does give you one choice for Vabs timing (four hours). The PowerMax LK models in single voltage adjustable mode allow manual selection of Vabs (13v-16.5v) , but no time selection--it stays on at the selected Vabs

With either a wired in remote you could set your parameters with or the bluetooth method (the example even has a wifi method in its module) you could do the settings and adjustments to suit you battery specs.

DIP switching would be a way, if it has enough choices, but it could be awkward for using it with an installed converter tucked away in the RV.

Having a list of voltages to pick from is not as good as being able to turn a dial to set any voltage. I don't know if the remote and BT methods would give you a dial or a list to pick from. Need a long list of voltages to pick from if no dial.

RV converters have not changed much in the last 10 years, so a "next gen" is due IMO, and if there were "demand" then OEM installations in new RVs could have them and also you could replace an older type, same as we can now.

Anyway, good comments so far--more opinions would add to the mix, so fire away!
Photo in Profile

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BFL, if I understand this accessory correctly (??) it looks like itโ€™s an BT application for a particular solar controller, but I think BT would be a fine innovation for todayโ€™s charger market options...I have few concerns about BT hacking (though I may be a bit naive here) mainly because the working range for my Victron BT is only about 15โ€™.

3 tons

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:

Yes if my converter had that ability, I would use it

It is one thing IF your RV came equipped with such gadget but a whole different thing if one just had to "upgrade" (buy a new more expensive) their converter just because they can control it via a "App" or remote control..

Some observations I have made over the yrs..

"new" and "improved" do not always go hand in hand.

Over complicating things with extra "features" buttons, buzzers does not always mean it will be hassle free or reliable..

"Cutting edge" often means it doesn't work as well, sometimes not at all and often means more expensive for no reason at all.

Somethings really work best using the K.I.S.S. method (Keep It Simple Silly).

New Technology is "great" right up to the point it is no longer "supported".. Lots of Orphaned "products" and Apps and now days when a manufacturer decides they are dumping a product or App, the whole product stops functioning..

The "Nest" product is a good example where the original manufacturer sold out to a new buyer (Google), all the old legacy "Nest" products lost most of their highly touted functionality when the online servers they had to connect to were turned off by the new company (Google).. Making the legacy Nest products no longer "smart".. Oh, they would "function" as a plain dumb T stat but that was about it.

If I really wanted to "monitor" my batteries, I would just put a simple Volt meter on them that could be mounted on a wall panel to see.. Cheap, effective and reliable.. Heck, RVs are so small it wouldn't take all that big of a display to be able to read it from the other end of my RV.

Changing charging parameters, typically should not have to touch that once you set it for the batteries you are using so I don't see the need for that to be easily changed.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:
As a sort of rv.net tech issues survey, would you like your converter to have a bluetooth module that you could set the charging parameters Vabs and Vabs timing to any voltage and time, kind of like

No. I would not for multiple reasons so let's start.
First: most folks have no clue as to how to set 'em
But mostly I'm concerned with too many BT devices (Though they make a rather ingenious use of radio spectrum (Spread Spectrum) there is only so much room.. Hedy Lamarr invented that by the way.

But more important if it's BT then a hacker can adjust it for you..And not in a way you'd approve of.

Or .. Well I keep opening a BT app on my phone. it's mostly read only and the only "Write" function is harmless but I keep opening it by accident... imagine adjusting converter....by accident.

A good front panel or a WIRED remote or a Plug in and unplug remote would be my choices.. Way safer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times