cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Rebuild Website - Online soon - Input?

Hi everyone.

Years ago I had my own website to illustrate and describe the process of rebuilding an old TT from the frame up. It was very popular and I got a lot of great feedback from people all over the US and Canada.
I took the site down a dozen or so years ago for reasons beyond my control.

I posted a thread a few days ago asking about a website vs a blog.

I decided to go for it. I bought a Domain, signed up for a Wix account and started. Easier to use a WYSIWYG site than try to code it on my own.

I have launched the preliminary part of the site, one page with what will be the basis of my Home Page on the new site, with Under Construction and stuff on it, and a little explanation at the bottom.

I'd like to know how it looks to users with various different devices. What looks great on my 17" laptop may not necessarily look OK on your phone or ipad. There is a place in the Wix software to format it for a mobile device. It'll take some trial and error to get it right. I will likely post from time to time asking for users to critique it and let me know of any issues they can see.

When I am all done, I'm hoping it can be a useful resource for the RV community.

It's going to take some careful planning to make it useful for everyone, I have to organize the tabs and try to make it all easy to navigate. I'm a little rusty, it has been 15-16 years since I built a website so bear with me.

Another thought I have is to dedicate a section for tech tips and little articles or something. I'll consider that. I have written lots of little tech articles over the years. It would be nice to have a resource location for all of it.

It will have no ads, and no commercial side to it. I am paying for everything myself. There will be a place where users can contact me.

Anyhow, check it out, let me know what you think of my venture. I put a link in my sig too.

RV-Rebuild.com
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
72 REPLIES 72

2 many 2 wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Thanks! :B
Is the comment section hard to notice? Should I move the see below... further up the page?
I appreciate your support!

Well, it should not be hard to notice, it is certainly large enough. I guess I got so excited wanting to start reading I over looked it?

Or my attention span is too short or I am too dumb :B I did eventually catch on....

You sound much like me!! Haha! Can't see the forest for the trees!:B:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Is the comment section hard to notice? Should I move the see below... further up the page?

Well, it should not be hard to notice, it is certainly large enough. I guess I got so excited wanting to start reading I over looked it?

Or my attention span is too short or I am too dumb :B I did eventually catch on....

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, if we look on the bright side, there are several other RV related sites that might appreciate a traffic creating story such as this.

I just noticed that you have included a comment section at the bottom of the home page, that should help make your page self sustaining for years to come.

I will raise one or four in your honor today, CHEERS! :B

I may post a new thread anyways.
I will just be careful to make sure I am within the rules and hope for the best.

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess no one noticed the nice dedication to RV.Net.

"I would like to dedicate this site to all fellow RV enthusiasts, but very specifically to all the wonderful friends on RV.Net.

The RV.Net site has been a wonderful source of inspiration on so many levels since I joined in December 2003. They are My RV Family. When I was so exasperated with the staggering project I got myself into that I wanted to push it into the street and set fire to it, I would go to RV.Net and read many of the rebuild threads and follow them through. It gave me hope and the incentive to forge on, keep going and not quit. One in particular is a motorhome rebuild by Clubmaxx that inspired me more than anything. I read and studied it dozens of times. I wish he was still a member.

I can only hope that the content here will help others in their quest to effect their own repair or rebuild on their RV of choice..

I thank you all."

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
WHHAAAAT! :E ๐Ÿ˜ž :M :h

Then would it be okay for someone other than yourself to present a link to let's say an "interesting site".

This has been done thousands of times here, will they delete all threads that have a link in them. I don't get it..........

I have book marked the link for future reference.

2 many 2 wrote:
Now that you are on a roll, is it about time for the "Topic" title to be edited? Maybe a click bait title :B
I agree....
Well, I was going to announce it in a new thread linking back to this one, but after a discussion with admin, it appears I am breaking the rules here by putting up my site. I always do my best to respect the rules, and for the life of me I cannot see where I am even remotely contravening anything. I went through the forum rules carefully and I am not crossing anything.
I contacted admin a few months ago regarding linking my site to RV.Net, to make sure I did things within the rules.

I put this site up as a free resource to help other like minded members who may want to consider their own repairs.
There are no ads, I am not selling anything, I gain no monetary advantage in any way here.
It is simply a free educational resource funded 100% by me.
I would love to know what I am advertising....
Sadly, I am not even supposed to talk about my site here.

But I don't make the rules, so I guess I have to leave it alone...:h
Lets not rock the boat.

noteven wrote:
Great website Bob

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now that you are on a roll, is it about time for the "Topic" title to be edited? Maybe a click bait title :B

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great website Bob

It was indeed a lot of work. Years later now, I still wonder what possessed me to do it. However, there actually was a deep hidden part of my reasoning that made me get my back up enough to rebuild the old wreck. It's a long story but it involves my now ex-wife and some of her antics. I'll leave it at that.

Being a home renovation contractor, specializing in solariums, and also having first hand experience at building houses, I applied some of the same things to the RV. Backing for things, towel bars, even curtain rods got attention. I even blocked for the TP holder. I hate it when things rip out of the wall.

Glad you liked the grandson pic. I had that same one on my original site.

The neighbors... It is definitely a nice neighborhood, and I got along well with everyone. Some of them expressed amazement at the scope of it all. Many of them would come over and chat about it. I never, not even once had anyone say anything negative. But it really wasn't one of my better decisions to subject them all to that. It was always covered with a white tarp when I was doing the rebuild. No bright blue or orange.

I appreciate your comments and following my work like this. ๐Ÿ™‚

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got through the fifth chapter "Walls Rebuild" Great pic of the Grandson!

That was a LOT of work! I especially liked the part that showed "Solid Blocking". I don't know why more people don't think of that.

Half of the way through, while I was reading, I was thinking to myself, "I wonder what kind of hilarious comments Bob's neighbors must have made to him" :E:B:h

Then at the end of the chapter, you said "I wonder what my neighbors think of me......"

Care to share any responses from your neighbors? It looks like a really nice neighborhood.

2 many 2 wrote:
I made it through the "Water Damage" chapter :E
Just think, it will take you a fraction of the time to get through it that it took me to write it!
Wasn't that water damage something else? I think they stored it at the bottom of a lake...
I'd have to check, if I can, but I think I started it March 3rd, foolishly thinking I'd have it up and running in April...