cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gen octane recommend

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Curious if anyone has put different octanes in their tanks? I've usually ran 87 but I've put 89 in too. But I'm not sure if that's maybe what's caused my gen to run hot and possibly overheat and shut down.

Anyone have experienced issues running a different grade?
2015 2500 Ram Mega Cab 4x4
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups
23 REPLIES 23

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Ive read someone say that when you switch a dune buggy engine over to E85 it will burn 20% more gas. Its part of how they change the tuning. So i guess for a generator it would need larger jetting. Just a rough guess and fun to think about. Or if you camp at 4000' maybe turn the alt screw as low as it goes.

I've been at sea level with altitude adjustment all the way down. And I've been at 4000' with it all the way up and still quit after a few minutes.

This last trip it ran very good in Dove Springs with 89.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Ive read someone say that when you switch a dune buggy engine over to E85 it will burn 20% more gas. Its part of how they change the tuning. So i guess for a generator it would need larger jetting. Just a rough guess and fun to think about. Or if you camp at 4000' maybe turn the alt screw as low as it goes.

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
This is news to me. I have never heard of a gen running so poorly on 87 that you had to run 91 or it dies. All the small engines I have ever had, generator, lawn mowers, motorcycles, tillers etc, have always run on any old gas I had around and have never shown preference for any octane (though the Moto cross motorcycle does have more power in high octane)..
I would look elsewhere for over-heating problems before looking at gas.

What gen do you have?
Did u check for a mouse nest or other debris on the cooling fins? The Onans are enclosed so mice or rodents can build nest in there and cause a hot run.
Oil at the right level?
Correct oil, usually SAE 30?

So, Im curious... someone mentioned it so, what happens when a gen runs on that E85 gas? I would never even consider it, but if I had no choice this is an option?
I only ever use 100% gas. Solar is king for me unless I am running AC.

I have a onan 5500. No mice nest or debris. My guess is the load it was under. You'd think it should handle a single a/c and microwave. But it would shut down after a few short minutes.

Correct oil was used. It was the same oil when purchased.

The E85 I know the motor must be able to run it. But as some have said, the higher ethanol would have more moisture obsorb in it if you dont burn it off
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
Not a single station sells ethonal free near me. I ran 91 this trip and it ran fine with seafoam.
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

mwachel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the camp of running 88 Ethanol Free. I also add a can of Sea Foam regularly.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
This is news to me. I have never heard of a gen running so poorly on 87 that you had to run 91 or it dies. All the small engines I have ever had, generator, lawn mowers, motorcycles, tillers etc, have always run on any old gas I had around and have never shown preference for any octane (though the Moto cross motorcycle does have more power in high octane)..
I would look elsewhere for over-heating problems before looking at gas.

What gen do you have?
Did u check for a mouse nest or other debris on the cooling fins? The Onans are enclosed so mice or rodents can build nest in there and cause a hot run.
Oil at the right level?
Correct oil, usually SAE 30?

So, Im curious... someone mentioned it so, what happens when a gen runs on that E85 gas? I would never even consider it, but if I had no choice this is an option?
I only ever use 100% gas. Solar is king for me unless I am running AC.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
My generator is my fuel station as well I run 91 and I have ran 105 I also use a fuel stabilizer Sea Foam.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

sin_cal_hd
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I only use 91 ethanol free in both of mine, and have never had a problem.

This is the best choice, if available!

Adding ethanol, will cause a more lean condition, and can cause more heat, under load. The OP may have used a higher octane 89 fuel, that contained more ethanol, and caused over heating, of his small gen engine, while under max load?

Jerry

This is what I'm thinking is happening. Too high of an octane (or ethenol) causing it to run way hot and shuts down under load after long periods of running.

I thought it was an altitude issue, but it has done the same at higher altitudes or sea level
2017 Wolf pack 325
Wife and 2 little boys
2 golden retriever pups

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
ANYTHING ethanol free should be fine for a generator.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
sin cal hd wrote:

Anyone have experienced issues running a different grade?
I dont think the 89 or 91 octane would cause any issues. The only time I would ever run 87 octane is if money was tight and I was positive we were going to add a gallon to the small genny and burn it all that camping trip.

For most small motors like pressure washers and generators we buy 91 in anticipation of it degrading over time down to the 80s.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
87 since new.
1400hrs on it.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
MFL wrote:
Adding ethanol, will cause a more lean condition, and can cause more heat, under load.

Any decent quality brand generator has bee tested on E10.

Don;t store any generator with ANY FUEL IN THE CARBURETOR for more than about a week ! If your generator does NOT have a fuel shutoff valve, you can add one for $10-$15.
I have to disagree. I also should have mentioned that Seafoam is added to every drop that goes into it. It is a good stabilizer, and cleaner. For the amount I use my generators anymore, the cost of premium is insignificant. I never drain the carb, but I do run them monthly. I also have an issue with running them dry versus draining the carb. If you add a shutoff there is still gas in the carb that can and will varnish over time, it just isn't enough gas to run the engine anymore.

Actually, yesterday my DW asked when the last time we used either of the Hondas for camping was, and it was over 10 months ago. They both start just fine. I am loving the solar!

Edit: I do not disagree with your comment about the generators being tested with E10. I should have made that more clear. ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Adding ethanol, will cause a more lean condition, and can cause more heat, under load.

Any decent quality brand generator has bee tested on E10.

Don;t store any generator with ANY FUEL IN THE CARBURETOR for more than about a week ! If your generator does NOT have a fuel shutoff valve, you can add one for $10-$15.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I only use 91 ethanol free in both of mine, and have never had a problem.

Ouch ! Pricey !! $$$