Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Excellent video on brake repacking
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Excellent video on brake repacking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

hornet28 wrote:

I sure wouldn't be doing that job in that environment, I'd be working on concrete

Well some of us don't have a concrete pad, you know Rural America? I do use a much larger piece of cardboard under the wheel tho.

Yes I know rural America. I live in it on 15 acres of woods. Before this I lived on a farm on a gravel road I do work like that on the concrete apron of the garage

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess a garage is required up there in the frozen north, not so down here in the southern states.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My comment on the environment was about the leaves and grass. You use a large piece of cardboard and that works also.
Yes I have a garage, in fact I have two, the house garage and my shop which is 32'X 36'. That's where I keep my hot rods. But I don't have covered storage for the 5er

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/21 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought his small cardboard box scheme was lame...

In the SE garages mainly occur in these new mini-mansion subdivisions. Most folks living out on acreage don't have one tho some have a pole barn. And pole barns often have dirt floors.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/21 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was really bad i would advise anyone skeptical about mechanical stuff and greasing bearings to find a different video.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only issue I have he put way more grease on the spindle than needed and in particular the seal surface on the spindle. With the amount he used there will be grease pushed into the brake shoe area as the seal goes over the spindle and seal area. This grease will then fall into the brake area and contaminate the brake shoes.

A very light film of grease is all that is needed and a very light grease or oil on the seal surface. I have always used a very light film of motor oil on my grease seal both the seal area and the outer rim so the seal will not gall when pressing into the hub.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, he put way too much grease on the spindle, and the seal will push it off in that area.

I think he was trying to demonstrate how to turn the wheel, when using the grease gun on the EZ lube. However, after doing a proper hand greasing, there is no need to add more through the zerk. You should be good for several years, before any further greasing, if no brake symptoms occur, requiring hub removal.

Jerry

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wearing only one glove.... what's the point! LOL

I've never seen those brake show gauges. With his brakes being "self adjusting", that tool wasn't necessary. When I installed self adjusting brakes on my cargo trailer last year, I used the adjuster wheel to dial them in a little bit then left the self adjusting function to do its job to get all 4 brakes set appropriately.

Video: DEXTER NEV-R-ADJUST Trailer Brakes and How They Work

I use a much larger piece of cardboard to contain my mess and keep it off the concrete driveway I do these projects on.

A better video on bearing repacking.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I ever use the grease fitting is during the spindle cleaning. That grease passage will collect dirt and solvent during the cleaning process and needs to be flushed.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a tolerance of .015" on the brake drum runout, I don't want the self adjusting brakes. If you are lucky and get good drums, they may work, if you are not so lucky and the drums are near maximum tolerance, they will never adjust properly.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Excellent video on brake repacking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.