Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy Duty leveling block suggestions

joe_blow
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

I rarely use leveling blocks (under tires) but have had some opportunities where one side is a tad lower.

I have independent front jacks and the standard scissor jack that came with the CR3705 weekend warrior. I try not to operate the front jacks separate from one another as to not stress the frame. For the jacks I have been carrying the same 4x6 lumber pieces for 10 years and they have sufficed.

I have seen many variations of stackable blocks and to be honest, I can't believe these chinsy pieces of plastic hold up under the weight of some of these toy haulers I have seen them under.

What are some proven recommendations that some of you have used with success on the same weight trailer?

Thanks
Joe
15 REPLIES 15

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
joe blow wrote:
What are some proven recommendations that some of you have used with success on the same weight trailer?

Wood blocks. 2x8

I built some using 2x cross stacked, capped both sides with 1/2" plywood. The plywood won't split, just screwed them together. Makes about a 4" tall block. I cut them to the same size as the lego blocks so they all stack in the same location.

I also have an Anderson ramp type leveler, need a second. It works really well if the ground is gravel as it won't slide. We boondock in the desert most of the time and I try to get reasonably level before deploying auto level. Often have to put blocks under rear jacks as I've raised them up all the way for ground clearance.

Another is to get ahold of scraps from a construction site using composites, like OSB and Glulam, those products are pressed together and are super strong.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I use the HD FasTen Blocks for Dual Wheels. They are larger than the standard ones so they can spread out the load on the ground. I have used them as a emergency frame jack stand when fixing my RV on the side of the road. They are super easy to go from a block to a ramp. I have used them for traction boards when needing to get out of snow, mud or sand. When not being used for leveling, they make a great campsite ottoman. You can even use them as a chocks.

The down side is they have been known to fracture when placed on very uneven ground and weight has been applied to a spot over a void. I have also seen them crack when larger heavy RV's use them as traction boards. Because of their larger size, you have a higher chance of having voids under them when used for static purposes. But likewise, on soft ground, the large size means more stability (honeycomb design) as they form into the soft material making their own level surface.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dedmiston
It depends on whether the OP is boondocking or not. This is the Toy Hauler forum, where there are a higher percentage of boondockers than the other forums.

If his site is that far out of level, then it's pretty safe to assume this isn't a concrete pad with full hookups.

Yes, digging the holes is the best way to level up if you're camping in the wilderness where you can dig. Just remember to fill your holes when you leave.

I know it sounds barbaric, but it works great and we do it all the time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Digging holes may work in some places, but I'm not sure how the campground owner would feel about digging holes in his park. Just off the top of my head I don't think it would go over well. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I do not use blocks.
Gave up on those probably 20 years ago. I noticed some old timers in a club I was in had a different way to level without using blocks.
Dig holes for the high side tires. There are many advantages to this approach. 1. Lowering the unit makes it more stable in windy conditions. 2. No need to use wheel chocks as so long as gravity works, the unit will not roll. 3. less movement inside from people moving around, as gravity forces the unit to remain centered in the holes. 4. The steps do not get too high which can happen with blocks. 5. No blocks to worry about, all you need is a shovel, which is a handy thing to have in camp anyways.

With a little practice we got really good at judging just how deep to make the holes.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
One last item: I have had some of the blocks break, but only when I tried to use them under the front legs. Apparently the relative small area of the leg is too much for the blocks. OTOH I've never had any break using them under the tires, and I've been using them for over 10 years.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joe_blow
Explorer
Explorer
I like the camco blocks but they just seem flimsy to me. I am trying to get rid of the heavy cumbersome lumber and find a reasonable fix all alternative.

Thanks for the feedback

fj12ryder wrote:
That's one of the reasons I really like the yellow Camco blocks, they fit perfectly between the tires. Granted, I've only had to raise the trailer 2 blocks a few times, but had no issues with the blocks fitting between the tires.

It works fine for me, but what works for me may not work for your trailer. That's where you may have to use some lumber and cut some to fit your particular application.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's one of the reasons I really like the yellow Camco blocks, they fit perfectly between the tires. Granted, I've only had to raise the trailer 2 blocks a few times, but had no issues with the blocks fitting between the tires.

It works fine for me, but what works for me may not work for your trailer. That's where you may have to use some lumber and cut some to fit your particular application.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joe_blow
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent thank you for the advice and links.

I know that leveling all three axles on the affected side is ideal. So my question is how does one fit some of these units in between the middle and rear axle to lift those?

I look at the spacing between the middle axle (front and rear) and I am not sure some of these will fit to lift the middle and rear axle.

Or is lifting one axle sufficient and allow the other two to remain on the uneven ground?

Thanks
Joe

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried the Lego type blocks but found that they broke to easy and were a pain to setup when you don't get it right the first time and had to drive off,re-stack, and make them higher,to labor intensive.

When I bought my RV,a former Rental, it came with Tri Level Ramps They don't break and if they are good enough to withstand the use in that market they must be good.

I have used them a lot and have had no problems and they are easy to use and store.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

dsrace
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Andersen-Hitches-Camper-Leveler-Frustration-Free-Drive-On-Leveling-in-Sec...

worked great on a 34 foot fithwheel weighing 11k loaded and have seen them used on 40' triple axles. i have also used the square stack able plastic lego like blocks w/o issue but have always wondered when they'll fail lol

nice toyhauler btw

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
joe blow wrote:

Wood blocks. 2x8
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been using the yellow Camco blocks for many years, and they work fine for us. They stack easily, and fit our tires well. No issues at all. This is on a triple axle 40 foot toyhauler.

Tried the orange ones, but didn't care for them. The yellow ones stack back up and go in their carry back and store easily. Lighter and easier to handle than wood.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Well I was going to say i use the composite porch decking cut and stacked to appropriate sizes, but then you put the qualifier that it had to be in the weight range of a 37 footer (which i have no expereience with), so i wont say anything. 😉