Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: TIP's at Lukeville
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> TIP's at Lukeville

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I already know the answer to this but would like some opinions;

We are running an airstream caravan into Baja next Jan and across on the ferry. 99% of these people have trucks and trailers and I know both La Paz and mexicali have the weight issue problem. I spoke to one person with a 1/2 ton whose door sticker said 7800 lbs GVWR who was refused at mexicali. So, one plan is to go to organ pipe, then drive "trucks only' across at Lukeville, get permits and then drive over to Potrero.

So my question is, are they going to be able to get permits for the trailers without them actually being there? Just the paperwork for them. I do realize the trucks will have to be. The other option is on line, but last time we tried that, 2 rigs never got their paperwork.

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila, sent you a PM.

rocmoc n AZ

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/21 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come on, please share!!!!

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PM sent

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

never go to Galvanizd. bTW I need to stress this is next year. We wont risk running any caravans until covid is under control.

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumper pull (me) and a 5th wheel drove past organ pipe, thru lukeville and thru Sonyota on Monday, before heading to Puerto Penasco. Nice drive. Things change in a year.

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paul,
We normally meet up with friends at Yuma!
For the last several years we drive down to San Luis ,in car pools with our paperwork.
We park at one of the lots on the American side then walk across to first immigration ,followed by Vehicle imports / Banjercito.
All the necessary permits are issued at this one building .

We also normally obtain pesos from one of the Banks and May even have a meal or beverage and recharge our Mexican Cel phones!

Then we join the line to walk back across the border!

If any of your party has a Nexit pass there is a shorter line but only for themselves!

Sometimes the line is a few minutes other times it may take an hour or more to get back to the USA!

We have also done a similar show at Lukeville ,when we camped at Gringo Pass RV Park overnight!

We have also done the same thing going to Baja through Tecate! While camped at Potrero !

We have never had to present our vehicles for inspection at any of these points of entry,

For the last few years we physically have crossed southbound at Mariposa and have barely slowed down anywhere much less been asked for any documentation . In fact last year when we led a group of four we all drove through to San Carlos without speaking to or even been waved to by a soul! And in the 4 months we were in Mexico never had any kind of inspection!

We have also done the on line Tip which includes a pre clearance for the immigration card/ paper work!

If you or your group go through that step it is even easier . You will still have to stop at an immigration station ,hand in your pre clearance and show your Passport. They may even get you to sign and of course you still have to pay the fee!

* This post was edited 02/09/21 01:33pm by robatthelake *

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for checking in and sharing that information!

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/21 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. we had a nightmare 2 years ago with on line applications. They took the money and never sent permits. Happened to 2. It was the year right after an election so that may be the reason, changes of personnel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> TIP's at Lukeville
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.