cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone Installed a Bigger TV?

Texsinbad
Explorer
Explorer
While we are out and active during the day, when it gets dark, we enjoy watching movies/shows. That said, we are planning on replacing the tv in our new Rockwood 2205S trailer, which we will pickup in a few weeks.

We know that you have to replace the wall mount and make the support wall bigger/stronger, but we would like to hear from anyone who has actually done it.

We will also be adding a sound bar too.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I put a 49 inch Smart Tv on a Televator ( Max can be 50) I built a box shaped much like an upright piano to hide the TV and keep it safe while traveling. Across from the TV in the slide out is a lovely FranklinBuilt Powered set of Theatre Seats. They run on 115 Volt wall worts (19v) so have their own small inverter tied into a 12 Volt source !

It took a bit of farmyard ingenuity to wire everything up safely but all is well!
It fun to see peopleโ€™s expressions when I sit down and push the button that raises the TV from its cave .
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
We installed 2 50" Vizeo tv's and took out the stock 25" tv's that come in our 5th wheel.......used the same mounting brackets and everything worked great.
cpaulsen

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
We got the largest TV that would fit into the space that we wanted it to go into. We got a completely new (stronger/heavier) mount and mounted it thru the wall (interior) against a support piece of 1/2" plywood. I didnt trust the 'studs' to carry the load.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
WHat size is OEM TV?

What size are you wanting to replace it with?

Many TVs use same mounting
And many of the new TVs are very light weight.

We had a 25" analog HEAVY TV in a cabinet. Took it out...made a cabinet door (huge storage area)
I installed a 32" Vizio on the face of cabinet door
That was in 2008 and still works fine.....no mounting issues etc

Check out the weight on the TV you want to use....not real heavy so doubt if you would have to do anything but swap TVs

Sound bars are not heavy items either....if mounting holes don't line uup with any wall 'studs' just use 'toggle bolts'

X2 You might be able to go to the same mount
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Itโ€™s easy! Measure carefully and get the biggest one that will fit. If you dry camp, compare watts however.

We boondocks a !ot. We put a 12v in. Works great with a fraction of the draw.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
With a vintage 96 motorhome, the old tube 19" just didn't quite make it. While I played with different locations with flat screens, I finally ended up hanging a 50" from the ceiling which is hinged. I've had this now for several years and it works well.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
When we put in a TV that was 10" larger than the original, the new, bigger TV weighed less than the original, so we didn't replace the bracket, but did have to drill holes lower on the bracket to get it to fit in the same space.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s easy! Measure carefully and get the biggest one that will fit. If you dry camp, compare watts however.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice floor plan on the Rockwood. I too have a Rockwood "Mini Lite" but the 2511S. Looks like it already comes with a 32" TV. Same as mine. Looks like yours mounts on the wall, while mine is in a cabinet and swings out with a ton of storage behind it (that's where I have the Blu-Ray player and more storage)

Since yours does hang on the wall, you could get a bigger one, but you might have to lower the bracket... But really, you aren't going to get much more in that space for the effort involved in doing it.

But like Biscuit said, all the new flat screens are pretty light and the same bracket can be used unless you plan on going for some 55" thing.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Are you going to pop for the Theater Seats too? We swapped ours out for them and the heated butt and back massage is awesome!

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We did. Took all the measurements then picked a TV up from Costco with the single criteria of physically fitting the space. I also bought a swivel extension bracket from Costco and made it work. These are extremely adjustable. We use a lightweight bungee to hold the TV in place when traveling. Went from 25" to 38", so much better.

Our sound bar sits on a shelf below the TV so that was easy. No sub woofer but we haven't missed one.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
WHat size is OEM TV?

What size are you wanting to replace it with?

Many TVs use same mounting
And many of the new TVs are very light weight.

We had a 25" analog HEAVY TV in a cabinet. Took it out...made a cabinet door (huge storage area)
I installed a 32" Vizio on the face of cabinet door
That was in 2008 and still works fine.....no mounting issues etc

Check out the weight on the TV you want to use....not real heavy so doubt if you would have to do anything but swap TVs

Sound bars are not heavy items either....if mounting holes don't line uup with any wall 'studs' just use 'toggle bolts'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31