cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt DC problem

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Last night my 12volt lights went dim and the big long motor operated awning came in at a snails pace and I thought it was going to quit.
This morning, none of the 12 volt dc is working.
As soon as it is light out, I'll check the battery, but if it is not that, what should I check next?

Guy
11 REPLIES 11

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
On another note: It is unbelievable to me that they mounted the open electronic board with a gazillion wires and electronics that controls the slide, the tongue jack, the awning and the stabilizers directly under the bathroom sink trap, faucets and water pipes with only a thin 1/16" shelf panel above it and no other enclosure

You would be surprised the junk they put together and shortcuts they take to save a few pennies.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:

It is someplace well hidden with no access and I'll have to remove some wall panel or shelf to get to it.

Any one with a 37 foot Forest River Wildlife trailer with a 50 Amp service know where it is ?

Guy

Turn on many 12 volt items and listen for the fan.

Thanks, good thought !

I have already heard the fan and it is evidently mounted behind the distribution panel. The best way for me to get at it, (if and when I need to) is to remove the bottom shelf in a closet it above it.

On another note: It is unbelievable to me that they mounted the open electronic board with a gazillion wires and electronics that controls the slide, the tongue jack, the awning and the stabilizers directly under the bathroom sink trap, faucets and water pipes with only a thin 1/16" shelf panel above it and no other enclosure

Guy

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:

It is someplace well hidden with no access and I'll have to remove some wall panel or shelf to get to it.

Any one with a 37 foot Forest River Wildlife trailer with a 50 Amp service know where it is ?

Guy

Turn on many 12 volt items and listen for the fan.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
A lot of RVs have the converter connected to a shared circuit. I don't like that style of wiring.

I re-wired my panel and put the converter on its own breaker as shown in this video

Mine is on a separate breaker, but when and if I ever have to get at the converter/charger, I'll have to send out a search party. It is a 50 amp one and is a stand alone one (not under the distribution panel like the 30 amp ones).

Guy

Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to do an Equalization Charge as well
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
A lot of RVs have the converter connected to a shared circuit. I don't like that style of wiring.

I re-wired my panel and put the converter on its own breaker as shown in this video
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy to be of service.

After the battery is fully charged, get it load tested. Taking a battery down that low can kill it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
No 12v power. If you are not plugged in to shore power, your battery is dead. If you are plugged in to shore power, your converter is not putting out 12v and your battery is dead.

Could be no power from pedestal. (Power outage or breaker tripped.)
Could be breaker tripped in your RV. (Main breaker or breaker to converter.)

God bless you and many many thanks!
I never even knew there was a 120volt breaker for the converter.
Several days ago I was working on some 120 volt stuff and by mistake shut off the wrong breaker. I corrected myself but never thought to turn the first breaker back on.
After your reply, I just went and looked at the scribbling on that first breaker and sure enough after figuring out what it says it looks like "conv"
All is well and you just saved me a bunch of bucks.

Thanks again

Guy

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Battery is dead. Time to charge it. If you are plugged in to 120vac power, then for some reason the battery isn't charging.

Need more details in order to help diagnose your problem.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
No 12v power. If you are not plugged in to shore power, your battery is dead. If you are plugged in to shore power, your converter is not putting out 12v and your battery is dead.

Could be no power from pedestal. (Power outage or breaker tripped.)
Could be breaker tripped in your RV. (Main breaker or breaker to converter.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
if this is an MH did you accidentally turn off the battery disconnect?
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.