cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2009 Thor Motor Coach Chateau Citation

Suetaylor594
Explorer
Explorer
I’m so new at all of this, I squeak. I’ve never owned one. Never driven one. I’m a recent widow and I want to travel with my dogs and bird. I’m from Texas where all the Winter Texans come to stay. I want to be a “summer northerner.” I’ve finally settled on a 24’ one. I know Mercedes is good. I know diesel is good. This one has 60,000 miles on it. Is it something I should pursue further with a checkup from an RV mechanic?

Engine Mercedes-Benz / V6 Chassis Brand Dodge Sprinter Cylinders 6 Horsepower 154 hp @ 3,400 RPM Torque 280 ft-lbs. @ 2,400 RPM Displacement 3.0 litres Fuel Type Diesel Fuel Injected Turbocharged Yes
Transmission Transmission Type 5 Speed Automatic Overdrive Yes
Driveline Driveline Type 4X2
Dimensions Length 24.83 ft. (298 in.) Width 7.5 ft. (90 in.) Height 10.83 ft. (130 in.) Interior Height 6.67 ft. (80 in.) Wheelbase 14.17 ft. (170 in.)
Weight Towing Capacity3,500 lbs. GVWR 11,030 lbs.
Capacities Fuel Capacity 26.4 gal.
Holding Tanks Number Of Fresh Water Holding Tanks 1 Total Fresh Water Tank Capacity 42.0 gal.Number Of Gray Water Holding Tanks 1 Total Gray Water Tank Capacity 38.0 gal. Number Of Black Water Holding Tanks 1 Total Black Water Tank Capacity 34.0
5 REPLIES 5

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great ideas and comments so far. #1 being having a unit inspected before you purchase, also IF you decide to purchase some sort of warranty be very aware of the

restrictions and limitations. In my opinion warranties are a waste of money. Take the money a warranty would cost and put it into it's own account and almost guarantee

you will be ahead in the long run. (my opinion, I get piece of mind from other things).( also based on my experience logging repairs, flat tires etc.)

I have been a mechanic for a lifetime, I know that the diesel Mercedes is a excellent engine however getting it serviced. MB dealers do not service these coaches. IF

fuel economy is the reason, the cost of servicing the coach will eat up those savings.Do some research on shops in your area would service it.....not many if any....

Now,the Ford v-10 is a fuel hog. My class C averaged 8.5 MPG over a 40K mile period. I towed my Jeep, I drove in the mountains I drove flat lands. BUT, that engine is

reliable, easy and cost effective to maintain AND most anyone who calls himself a mechanic can repair/service it.

Appliance in RV's are mostly the same ,I have been around 40K dollar RV"S and 500K$ RV's and they all experience the same issues from time to time.

The Ford V-10, carry some spare ignition coils and keep the oil clean and expect many many miles of carefree driving. Sure, everything fails from time to time however

once you are out in some quaint little town and it won't start , well it may be a long tow trip........

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 24ft Class C-bought it used from a Dlr. Were looking for a Chevy chassis with V8 gas engine Definitely didn't want a diesel. Diesel is very expensive for maintenance, oil changes, etc. If you have any problems-Chevy/Ford are a lot easier to find repair facilities. We can go anywhere in U.S. or Canada and there is always a place to get work done. Also, at 60,000 miles there will be repairs-probably reason owner is getting rid of it.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Gary45
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest problem with motorhomes is the roof leaking, every opening has potential to develop leaks, it needs to be gone over make sure sealant has not deteriorated.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were you, I would rent one and then take it from there. Don't just jump into something like this.

It's a 2009 Sprinter which is out of warranty, expect to pay a lot of money to own it. It needs to be serviced at Specific dealerships.

At 12 years old , yes , hire an rv inspector, a lot can happen to an rv over 12 years. These rvs can often leak and it has nothing to do with it being a Sprinter. Anyone can build poor quality coach on a good chassis or whatever chassis they choose.

There is too much to learn before you buy.
You might have to think about towing a car too. If you break down on the road it would certainly make life easier for you. A towing service might have an issue towing your rv while transporting you, 2 dogs plus a bird .

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If you like the floorplan go for it.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141