cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie trailer owner, question on water pressure pump

RetroAirBnB
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a trailer for my side yard to create an AirBnB.

Everything is powered up and running. There's a panel on the wall where I can check battery charge level, and levels in the tank. At the bottom of that panel, there are two red lighted switches. One turns on the hot water heater (which sparks and fires up). The other turns on the pump for water pressure.

I ASSUME that the water pressure pump should ONLY be turned on when my renters actually need water pressure. Otherwise, if the pump is left on, it will burn out? Am I right in that?
16 REPLIES 16

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thought this through a little more.

Plumb the drainage directly into your sewage system. Remove the tanks and run lines direct. Now worry of overflowing or clogged tanks. Hook up a hose to provide water, no pump to worry about.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4van wrote:
QCMan wrote:
Pity the poor renters that think it is just like a house!
Actually, pity the poor "owner" whose renters think it is just like a house!;)

Actually, I don't pity the "owner", as they will be making their "millions" off renting it

The "owner" will have no issue paying a cleaning crew to clean up the messes and still earn a profit.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
First, Unless you have water in your water heater. Don't turn that on.
Second, Like others have said, you can hook up a hose and not need the pump. Personally I wouldn't do that. Why? Black and grey tank size. Limit the amount of water your guests have to use by only putting in the fresh tank whatever the amount the grey can hold.
That way they call you when they run out of water. Not when the shower is overflowing onto the floor of the trailer. When they call you to tell you they need water, you empty the tanks and add water.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
Actually, pity the poor "owner" whose renters think it is just like a house!;)
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Any chance your house electrical panel is right there at the side yard? Adding a 20a or 30a circuit for the trailer could help reduce headaches. Dont want them popping breakers at 2am cooking popcorn in the microwave.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pump can stay on continuous. Pump will not burn out for being left on. Actually the motor does not run or draw power until water is needed.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Wait until you go to empty the tanks the first time. You will most likely have a plug from over use of TP and too little water when flushing. Good luck.

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
bigorange wrote:
If it’s in your side yard, why not just run a hose to it and not worry about fresh tank and water pump?

I think the OP didn't realize he won't need the pump if he's got his hose going to city water connection.

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
If it’s in your side yard, why not just run a hose to it and not worry about fresh tank and water pump?
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t leave my pump on, kellem.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you have water in fresh water tank, the pump can be left on as it only cycles on demand.

I personally as part of standard operating procedure, would turn off pump when trailer is not being occupied.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
camp-n-family wrote:
You only need it if pumping water from the on-board fresh water tank. If you have the city water connected by hose you don’t use the pump.

If you are pumping from the tank you can turn it on and leave it on (when trailer is in use). It has a pressure sensor and will cycle as needed on its own.

I'll just add that that's generally true but I've been in a situation a few times where I had a city water connection but I still used my pump. If you're at a park where the water pressure is terrible you can use your fresh water pump and the city water to get nearly unlimited water at full pressure (my 20 gallon tank lasted a full week and wasn't near empty but I had full pressure showers the whole time 😃

I doubt this is relevant to the OPs situation, just putting it out there for general information 😃
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH