cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

13'5" clearance

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new Fuzion 5th wheel that has height listed as 13'5" which is 1" higher than our old one. Will this be an issue at a bridge listed as 13'4" clearance or is there some fudge factor involved. Clearances are usually for trucks and heave equipment that must never come in contact with the bridge.

Thoughts?
17 REPLIES 17

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Madhatter1 wrote:
since top height is the AC unit and cannot damage bridge structure if it touches.

A roof top A/C unit isn't going to damage a bridge. Instead, the bridge will do a very fast "air conditioner delete" mod for you, then you won't have to worry about height anymore.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sjm9911 wrote:
I have never once sceen the RR guys go after the truck owners for damage to the bridge. And only once have sceen them inspect it. They dont bother with that stuff up here. It may be diffrent in other places.

I've seen it several times working for a state DOT.

The worst one included closure of the bridge and emergency work to replace it. The insurance company was hit up for several million and they didn't even bother to fight it.

The funniest was when a pickup pulling a boat decided to go around the bridge closed signs and he was found the next morning, with the truck hanging by the trailer from the bridge beams. They had only placed the flase decking so it fell between the beams and the trailer hung up. That one was only about $75k for inspection and repair of the damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
I would creep slowly under a questionable overpass and If I touched it would only be the AC. Not going to fly under at 40 or 50MPH and hope for the best. Although it is funny to imagine. When I pick up the camper I will measure while on the truck. Will also hit the truck scales to get total weight.

Original question is what JoelC answered. But I will be careful and plan my routes. There is right now just one questionable bridge in Unionpoint GA that I can detour around. Other than that we are open highway. But do plan to go to some areas I will research first.

Thanks for the responses.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I have never once sceen the RR guys go after the truck owners for damage to the bridge. And only once have sceen them inspect it. They dont bother with that stuff up here. It may be diffrent in other places.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
Madhatter1 wrote:
At least it's only a $1500 mistake.

Yes, $1500 for the a/c unit, not including the damage to the trailer as the a/c is ripped out of the roof and pushed backwards into the ceiling....

Yeah, as if it's going to neatly pop off with no other damage. I'd be shocked if you come in under $10k in damage if the air/con hits.

Yes, it is standard industry practice to update the signs based on field measurements and yes, there is a fudge factor.

Even if they omit the update, you won't find one that is significantly off for long. The first truck to get wedged under, someone will be out quickly to verify. While unlikely to cause serious damage with an RV, you can expect a bill for any damage and for an inspection to verify the bridge is unharmed. Typically, your insurance will cover it but if they decide you were grossly negligent by purposely going under a bridge posted lower than your height, they may at a minimum give you a hassle before paying.

Of course that fudge factor accounts for the fact that vehicles are built on suspensions that include springs. So a static measurement in your driveway can easily be off by 3-4 inches if you hit a bump and the trailer jumps up at the wrong time. That static measurement is really only good if you creep under the bridge at less than idle speed.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Madhatter1 wrote:
At least it's only a $1500 mistake.

Yes, $1500 for the a/c unit, not including the damage to the trailer as the a/c is ripped out of the roof and pushed backwards into the ceiling....

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should not have problems as long as you don't go under a bridge lower. My 5er is 13'6"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
A suggestion on how to determine the actual height of your 5th wheel.

When you have the 5th wheel loaded as you will most likely use it go back to the dealer where you purchased the unit. Make sure tire pressures are at you towing pressures.

Pull into one of their stalls and stop with highest point under the doorway. Crawl up on top and measure the distance from the highest point of the 5th wheel to the door opening. Then measure from door opening to the ground. Do the math and you will know the exact height of the 5th wheel.

I did this before I took delivery of my 5th wheel to make sure it would go into my shop building. My dealer was more than willing to do this for me.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, know your exact measurements when hooked to your tow vehicle, and measure at every high point. My rig is 13’4” at the front AC, but 13’5” at the rear. I assume no “fudge” factor on marked overpasses. Remember that if roads have been resurfaced, the bridge marking may not have been remeasured. We have seen several where crews were out measuring again after roadwork had been performed. Generally, if I’m on a road and see 18 wheelers on that road, I figure I’m safe. To date we have never had to detour because of a low bridge.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
You also have no idea how many times a municipality or a State Highway department has added more and more asphalt instead of digging the old out and putting in new. A 13'4" sign could really be something lower. I've seen that happen time and time again here in the Northeast and only after several years of adding more asphalt do they tear it out and pave the road again. I always assume whatever the sign says, it's a couple of inches less.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

dedmiston
Madhatter1 wrote:
We just bought a new Fuzion 5th wheel that has height listed as 13'5" which is 1" higher than our old one.

You need to get out with a tape measure and figure out the true height.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your costs will be much higher if you damage a bridge plus the fines.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
ItsyRV wrote:
There may be a fudge factor of a couple inches depending on the overpass. Some places the posted clearance could be 6 inches lower than actual height while others could just be 1 inch off.

Now, I'm sure you know this but the height listed may not be the actual height when attached to your vehicle. Always verify the actual true height when hooked up unloaded.

I will do this. Towing with standard Ram 3500 Dually but no lift kits or anything like that so may be 13'4" overall anyway. Was just thinking RV's are now allowed to be a bit over since top height is the AC unit and cannot damage bridge structure if it touches. And it still should never touch as a bridge height restriction has to have at least several more inches.

And the paving thing is another interesting point. Wonder how many overpasses are mislabeled. At least it's only a $1500 mistake. If I misjudge depth running my boat it's more like $10,000. If she still floats afterward.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
No correct answer for you. Ive seen bridge heights change, repaving, etc. They never fix the height on the sign. And if driving in the snow, it will add aome height. So , take it slowly. And be prepared to stop. Have someone guide you. Or go around.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.