cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway bar swap

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice morning so I decided to install the Hellwig 7718 sway bar I bought as a gift to the RV. Installation was a snap. After breaking the bolts free they all backed out easily. The RV is a 2020 Jayco 26XD so there hasn't been much time for rust to build up. Slid the Hellwig under and blocked it up in place. Cleaned up the front bolts, swapped out the rear with the bolts supplied by Hellwig, applied blue locktite also supplied and torqued to spec. Now I have to wait a couple of months to test drive it, but it was a fun project.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
4 REPLIES 4

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
docsouce wrote:
We are heading out west again this coming June for 4 months. Last time we had a 22 ft Class C on a Ford e350 chassis. We really got pushed around going across southern Oklahoma and northern Texas. White knuckle all the way. This year we're going to run US 412 from Columbia Tn. to Springer NM. We have a bigger RV this trip. The addition of the Roadmaster stabilizer and having adjusted the J-Ride properly has been a great help. This sway bar should help alot too. Not expecting a sports car ride, but being able to stay in one lane would be great.
You did "Real Good" replacing your stock rear stabilizer bar with a heavy duty version. Do yourself a favor and replace the front one too. It will share the load, allowing the rear bar to be even more effective.

There is a long list of things that can be done to improve "handling" but both front and rear stabilize bars provides the most bang for the buck. As I see it, there is a pecking order for improving handling.

- weigh the rig while on a trip, fully loaded, even with occupants, and adjust the tire pressure accordingly. Many truck stops have weigh scales.
- get a front wheel alignment with the same load (add weight to represent occupants in their positions)
- replace your stock rear stabilizer bar with a heavy duty version (you did this)
- replace your stock front stabilizer bar with a heavy duty version
- replace your stock shock absorbers with heavy duty Bilstein RV shocks
- replace your stock steering stabilizer with a heavy duty version (brands vary)
- add a rear trac bar

If each axle of your rig is loaded to within your spec'd limit, but your rear end is sagging or dragging, have a shop add spacers to the rear axle to lift the rear to the proper level. Adding more springs or air bags will increase the harshness of your ride. The house takes a beating as it is. You don't want to make it worse yet.

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are heading out west again this coming June for 4 months. Last time we had a 22 ft Class C on a Ford e350 chassis. We really got pushed around going across southern Oklahoma and northern Texas. White knuckle all the way. This year we're going to run US 412 from Columbia Tn. to Springer NM. We have a bigger RV this trip. The addition of the Roadmaster stabilizer and having adjusted the J-Ride properly has been a great help. This sway bar should help alot too. Not expecting a sports car ride, but being able to stay in one lane would be great.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We did the same swap, front and rear -- Hellwig brand, on our 2019 Jayco class C (built on a 2018 chassis). Did mine in the driveway. Had to use the hydraulic stabilizers on the front to lift it a bit to get under...yes I had jack stands.

You will notice a difference. Same as you, I did the swap and had to wait a bit to drive it. Still, she tracked straighter and swayed less. Drives like and as stable as a car now? No. Still, huge improvement.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What did the RV buy you for Christmas? lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad