cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV aluminum siding gauge?

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
The overcab in my 94 Toyota class C is rotted, cannot put off repair much longer.

Been reading about this, I would like to use a 4X8 sheet of aluminum and eliminate the front window. I would prefer to use pre finished white, in case I do not get around to painting it a matching color for some time.

I know that some aluminum grades bend better than others, I will need to bend a lock seem on the 7 foot side and bend the ends to over lap the siding. I cannot pinpoint the grade of aluminum I need? Any input on that??

Also the thickness, I have read from .024 to .050, any suggestion on thickness?
10 REPLIES 10

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
jjrbus wrote:
Thanks for the responses.

Adding stringers is a good idea, there is almost no framing in that area except along the edge.

I need to also keep in mind what is available locally. From what I am reading 3003 may be a good option? It is med strength and is cold workable. I'm thinking around .032

I probably use prefineshed white so I can paint it at some point.

Recently came across 2024 T3 .032 which appears to be what Air Stream trailers use, so need to look into that. I should start this in the next month or so.
These alloys also come dead soft with a SO designation. I would use what ever is available and is affordable, the softer the temper the thicker you should go. Airstream makes their Al trailers similar to Al airframes.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses.

Adding stringers is a good idea, there is almost no framing in that area except along the edge.

I need to also keep in mind what is available locally. From what I am reading 3003 may be a good option? It is med strength and is cold workable. I'm thinking around .032

I probably use prefineshed white so I can paint it at some point.

Recently came across 2024 T3 .032 which appears to be what Air Stream trailers use, so need to look into that. I should start this in the next month or so.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are 3 basic grades of Al used for air craft 2024,6061 and 7075. The easiest to roll form is 2024 because it is the softest and also the weakest of the alloys and has the least amount of spring back after it is formed. 7075 is the strongest and hardest to form with the most amount of spring back and 6061 is in the middle. They also come in different tempers like T1-T3. The front section that you are talking about is a wrap section(not a compound curve) meaning it can be just roll formed to shape with out a mold. So any alloy will work. The softer alloy 2024 will dent easier than 7075 so I would use a thicker sht say .050. 7075 I would go with .030. The harder alloys you will have to over bend to allow for the spring back. If you don't have access to a bending jig 2024 will bend easier even in the thicker sht with very little spring back. I would add a few stringers across the width just for more support.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
William Willard wrote:
The Diamond Plate I purchase has a protective film on it to prevent scratching before use -- I worked in the Park Model business for many years & the siding we used was .019 gauge -- The pattern in the metal has to do with it`s strength -- A sheet of aluminum with no pattern has very little strength -- Bends really easy -- Bill Willard

.019 is pretty thin! The no pattern in the sheets concerns me, I cannot find any with a pattern anywhere near me. So thinking I need to use a thicker gauge to compensate. Figure with thicker I will need to find a sheet metal shop to make the flat lock seam.

I was looking at filon see no way to make a sealed corner with it?

Thanks for the response.

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
The Diamond Plate I purchase has a protective film on it to prevent scratching before use -- I worked in the Park Model business for many years & the siding we used was .019 gauge -- The pattern in the metal has to do with it`s strength -- A sheet of aluminum with no pattern has very little strength -- Bends really easy -- Bill Willard

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what gauge diamond plate you are buying, it is way cheaper here! I thought about it and not off the table yet. Not my first choice.

Craigslist ad

Aluminum sheet diamond plate 68$ 4ftx8ft. 045 gage Plancha de aluminio diamante 68$ RINCÓN FENCE SUP
$68

There is not a mobile supply store with siding within a hundred miles of me.

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
I`ve replaced the front of a couple of 5th wheel trailers with aluminum Diamond Plate -- You can get in a light weight with a bright finish -- I can get it here in the Phoenix AZ area for about $140.00 for a 4X8 sheet -- Can cut it with a grinder -- It looks good & no paint matching -- Bill Willard

William_Willard
Explorer
Explorer
.024 is the thickness that you need -- Go to a mobile home supply store -- They should have the siding in white -- Bill Willard

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. I have seen that ad. I am in Florida, ordering from CA would get pricey! They give a range of thickness and do not show what grade of aluminum to use.

I am experimenting with a small piece of .028 aluminum, it is workable, not sure if it would be too flexible for this application and have no idea what grade it is?