cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving it up

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
I posted a while back asking opinions on living in a travel trailer. Lot's of good advice and suggestions.
Just thought I'd give an update. My wife is in Memory Care in Fresno and I have decided to stay in the family home to be able to visit her when this Covid thing lifts.
Selling the Aliner as camping and traveling without her holds no lure for me.
It's been a great time traveling this nation with her next to me but time to "give it up".
Not much joy in life now.
Stay well and cherish those you love, time is fleeting to do that.
Lee
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.
21 REPLIES 21

mwachel
Explorer
Explorer
God bless and yes, enjoy family every second you can. Good luck.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Prayer for both of you and family. Right now you do what you need to do/want to do.
But don't give up on life. As time passes and you are still able travel. If you don't want to travel do what want to do.Find some joy. Ran across two Men who traveled on their own in their mid nineties at the factory in Decatur, Ind.Now they are both over 100, and I have lost track of them. Probably at home and fishing but when we get our new Mh may bump into them again. Five years ago Retired Navy 93 years old at VA in Nashville he was getting around better than a 30 year old.In high gear all the time with things he "wanted" to do.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, be grateful for the good times. I'm personally scared to go at it alone.
Take care, and good luck.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all who expressed sympathies and good wishes. My bride and I had 20 years camping and traveling and were blessed to see so much of this great land.
I cannot fathom ever enjoying camping alone especially with all the memories with her but like they say, "never say never".
The Aliner, even tho paid for needs to go. Memory care ain't cheap and it's an asset sitting in the driveway.
Again, thank you all for the well wishes.
Lee
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I wish both you and your wife the best. I had to "give it up" when almost 70 yrs old (6 years ago), following a stroke. I was doing excellent physically and fully expected to be full time Rving into my 80's or even 90's. It was quite a blow to give up the best lifestyle, but eventually you find ways to enjoy life as non-RVers, although it's never quite the same (the call of the open road may always beckon). Nonetheless, life goes on and it's best to keep a positive attitude.

I sincerely hope your wife may see some improvement in her condition so you can both enjoy your golden years. 🙂

BTW, I'm single, so I'm not facing the same situation as you.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your story is sad and all too common. Covid makes it even worse.

I would suggest keeping the aliner or at least give it some time. Sadly memory care issues rarely get better and it is likely that the time will come when your wife no longer recognizes or needs you. At a certain point you may need to think about your own life living alone.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you keep the Aliner for short trips if for no other reason to get out of the house for a while. You don't have to go on long trips, maybe to the lake or local campground just to get out. I assume it's paid for and not costing a lot to keep.

Where my seasonal is at one person lost their husband another lost his wife and they both drew on the support of each other. There might be a support group in your area as well.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time heals most wounds.

Stay strong!
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Find what works for you, and keep on truckin, make the best you can with your wife and remember the good years
Winnebago Access 24V

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I would want to be "home" and close to my spouse and the support of friends and loved ones. Best wishes!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:

I don't know if I can live with it, but I have learned to live along side it.

Well said.

One foot in front of the other.
One step at a time.

We keep going.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry about your wife. Doing what is best for the both of you is all that matters right now.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
Blessings to you Lee. You are making the best decision for your situation which is all that matters.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prayers for you in dealing with your wife's disease.