cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer hitch pin

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you insert a hitch into the receiver, you secure it with the hitch pin. Considering receivers and and balls are rated for different weights, has anyone ever seen a rating on a hitch pin? And has anyone ever broken or sheared a hitch pin?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
37 REPLIES 37

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My pin is the locking type that requires a key to remove it. Made by Masterlock. I was a little worried about it at first thinking that it would get rusty or frozen in the winter time but, it has held up for 3 years now with no problem.

Yep, I have the same and also donโ€™t have to worry about somebody making off with the hitch.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My pin is the locking type that requires a key to remove it. Made by Masterlock. I was a little worried about it at first thinking that it would get rusty or frozen in the winter time but, it has held up for 3 years now with no problem.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
My worry has never been the hitch pin, but I always have worried about the safety pin that holds the hitch pin from sliding out.

Guy

There is virtually no side load/pressure that would cause clip to fail

Operator error 9not installing it correctly) ------ YES

May not just be an "Operator error" if the clip "disappears" via a third party "prankster" that happens along when you are away from your vehicle..

Have heard of that happening, fortunately have never had that happen to me.. But I do typically do a quick walk around and check to make sure everything is in it's proper place as it should be when taking rest stops and such before I get back on the road..

As far as strength of the hitch pin goes, don't know exactly, but the same diameter pin is used for 2x2 and 2.5x2.5 hitches.. Just the length of the pin is longer for the 2.5 hitches.. Can't say for sure on the 3x3 hitches but I suspect most likely the same diameter to allow compatibility for using an smaller hitch accessory like a bike rack or lighter weight hitch via adapter sleeves.

I have a friend who had someone remove the pin from his insert while his enclosed car trailer was hitched to it. He traveled some distance and the equalizer bars held enough tension on the insert so that it stayed in place. That is, until he was exiting the Interstate and the trailer brakes made a heavier application causing the insert to slide out of the receiver. Thankfully, the safety pin pulled on the breakaway switch holding tension on the safety chains and he was able to safely get stopped. Since his incident, I always do a walkaround just before hitting the road and I pay special attention to the insert pin and the key that keeps it in place.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest thing I've found is a Grade 8 bolt and a nylok nut. Only way someone's gonna mess with that is if they're carrying a socket set, and that's still going to take them a few minutes minimum to get the nut off. This is a cheap and easy solution.
Duane

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My wife and I do what we call "the dance" before we pull out ofof any place that we have parked, even for a short time.
We start at the rear of the truck, check electrical connections, chains, tongue jack, coupler lock, insert lock, circle TT clockwise checking storage door, stabilizer jack, front awning arm, steps, entry assist handle, door locks, tire pressure valve cap, rear stabilizer, rear awning arm, bumper cap, spare tire, and all the way around the TT.
We do this every time and talk our way around the TT tour. We say what we are looking at and agree that it is correct.
As soon as we pull into a parking area, we both go to the trailer tire on our side and carefully touch the hub and tire. If we feel that it is warm, I grab my infrared thermometer.
We are picky about this "dance" to avoid problems on the road.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
I check everything...tires, hitch, bike rack, electrical, break away etc...AFTER the potty break! At 29 with my first TC I had the same order of importance!

Well I always found a warm tire will cool pretty fast when you stop. I have decided a tire was hot, gone in to restroom, come back out and had to trust memory to know which to suspect. (never on RV)
It's yours, you can do what you want.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I always use a locking hitch pin to prevent casual theft or pranksters.
I only use a basic hitch pin for short term, that day, use.
I never leave my mounts in my hitch overnight, shin busters and longer term rusting in place are no fun.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I check everything...tires, hitch, bike rack, electrical, break away etc...AFTER the potty break! At 29 with my first TC I had the same order of importance!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
about 18-19kips.

What is a "kips"?

A bunch of me.

๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜„ :W :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
about 18-19kips.

What is a "kips"?

A bunch of me.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kip :: In the English system, we use pounds to describe weight and feet or inches to describe distance. You may remember that 2000 pounds is called a "ton", but did you know that 1000 pounds is called a "kip"? (It was most likely shortened from "Kilo-Pound") So, when you see a notation like "kpf", think "kips per foot". 0.48 kpf would be equal to 480 pounds per foot. Engineers use kips since it makes the numbers much easier to work with (especially in the days of slide rules) and reduces errors caused by lost zeros.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
about 18-19kips.

What is a "kips"?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

I check tire/hub/rotor temps with Infrared Temp Gun when I stop....walk around and do a visual then run to the bathroom

upon return I check hookup/connections and just a general look over

Takes but a few minutes and is worth the 'p''p' dance :B

LOL! My bladder is larger than DW's or dog's. We stop, she does the dash while dog and I walk around the vehicle, then to the closest grass. If it is a fuel stop, when spouse gets back, I pull up to pump then go inside. If not fueling wife will stay with truck and dog, maybe fix snacks on tailgate. I don't worry much about tampering, but will look at the paint dots on most of the critical nuts and bolts.
As for the temp gun, might be better, but took my temp gun 1 trip. Put it down to pick up poop. Had to buy new one. I have used my hand with success on much bigger stuff for over half century. If not broke, don't fix it.

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
I put a zip tie on my clevis pin for piece of mind. At least it keeps clowns from pulling it off, it has to be cut first so creates a simple deterrent and should never jiggle off on its own.
I'm a lock but practically every single thing that can be locked is. I have to travel with 2 ball mounts for the boat one on a stinger with a 2" drop for when the TC is loaded and one with a 6" drop when no camper. Well I had a locking hitch pin on the stinger freeze up. Which is ok since I shouldn't have to ever remove it, the ball ain't coming off either. I had same pin in other receiver at truck. Quit using it out of fear of it corroding shut. Yeah I don't want a locking pin stuck on the truck!