cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smartplug Converstion

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
First I give credit to the smart folks that posted on this 5th Wheel thread.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30084692.cfm

Particularly this link: https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-cords-smartplug-vs-1938/

Smartplug connector conversion seemed to be a nobrainer for me (20 times metal contact).

So I found this from Walmart online, a 25' 30A cordset Smartplug to STS (Shore to shore) twistlock for $12.95 (free shipping), discounted by around 90%.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SMARTPLUG-30-AMP-25-CORDSET-DUAL-CONFIGURATION/30257838

Add a simple pigtail RV plug (NEMA TT 30P) to STS twistlock (NEMA L5 30R) from HomeDepot ($26.60) and for about $40, one has an operational BRAND NEW cordset (RV to Smartplug).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Conntek-TT-30P-to-L5-30R-30-Amp-125-Volt-Generator-to-RV-Pigtail-Adapter...

Now, I need the Smartplug receptical (around $70) and an afternoon to modify the TT power inlet, and I am good.

Best pricing thus far $61.81 (add $10 for shipping)

https://www.rvautoparts.com/BM30PW-SmartPlug-Systems-Power-Cord-Plug-End-For-Connecting-30-Amp-RV_p_...

When I do the conversion and reuse, I will post pics.

In the meantime, not sure how long the Walmart cordset will be available for $12.95.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed
45 REPLIES 45

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I wish Hubbell would make a 30-TT replacement plug.

I bought several different replacement 30TT plugs for shore cords to find the best one. The one I prefer is the Progressive Industries TT30P. It is larger than most and doesn't have a pull handle, but this allows the door to close on top of it at the pedestal. It is easy to install on the cord and has four screws to hold the housing together, most use two or three. The cord grip area inside is large so you won't have the cord jacket pulling out of the body of the plug.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/tt-30p

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The Minis are good. The larger one is better because it offers more cord protection. Small is ideal where space is limited. It is good idea to coat internal connections with electrical grease.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve got the mini version of that plug. Fits where I need it to fit.

Camco Mini 30 Amp Plug

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This cord body is much better then the Keller bakelite one if properly installed.
Camco 30TT

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Well, they actually do make one, or at least thereโ€™s one made with the Hubbell name on it. Iโ€™ve got one in my stash of emergency parts I carry in the camper. It will work in a pinch, but itโ€™s a very โ€œuglyโ€ connector, and due to where mine has to plug in to the generator outlet (no transfer switch) I really need a plug with the molded in finger-pull handle.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Route_66_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the 50amp SmartPlug on my travel trailer 2 months ago. One of the best mods I have made since I bought the trailer. The second best mod was installing the MORryde REEL56-001H Easy Reel Cord Spooler to wind up my 50amp cord.

https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-REEL56-001H-Easy-Reel-Spooler/dp/B00BFU2G6A/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywo...

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Twist-Lockยฎ (a trademark of the Hubbell Corp) is a decent connector but is not the easiest to connect and doesn't really make good contact. Smartplug makes a thing of showing burned up plugs and connectors, which is a real issue, but probably not as much as they make it out to be. I like the idea of the Smartplug but wished it was available in a 90ยฐ design so the cord didn't stick out so from the RV. I have a 90ยฐ turn lock connector on my shore cord, and should it ever give any problems I might convert to the SmartPlug, as the screw mounting pattern is the same as the Marinco and other similar connectors.

Randy at Best Converter tried to get me to convert, however I had 1) already bought and installed the Marinco turn lock inlet and wired it in place of the hardwired shore cord, and I had already purchased an extra long (36ft) shore cord with a 90ยฐ turn lock connector with LED indicator on it.

Biggest thing I do not like about the turn lock connectors are the super fine thread collars that you have to fiddle with to get the threads to start without cross threading. The thing I like the most about the Smartplug is the ease of simply pushing the plug in place till the latches click, and the amount of contact surface area they have. Thing I do not like is the cost of the product, which is excessive.

LarryJM wrote:
I also like the Marinco type connectors since they are IMO more weatherproof and secure than a straight plug type connector.

Larry

The Smartplug has a well designed water seal that compresses as you plug the connector in.

Lynnmor wrote:
My trailer came with a twist lock detachable cord. I had failures with the blades in the cord end, the wires loosened in the inlet and the cheesy plastic ring was troublesome. I installed a locking hatch and modified it to exclude pests, then hard-wired a cord. You can argue about the merits of various contacts all you want, but I prefer a continuous wire where it passes thru combustible materials. Pulling out only what I need, easily wiping the cord clean and no need to carry and find a storage place are additional benefits.

In my motorhome, the hard wired cord worked well as the compartment the cord stowed in was large enough to wipe it off and feed in in a loop till it was all coiled up, and was easily connected to the generator outlet. On my current trailer the access door to the cord storage was rather small and the cord was a real bear to attempt to store in the compartment. I removed the door and frame, fabricated a heavy aluminum plate to fit over the opening with a Marinco turn lock connector mounted in it, and removed the storage compartment inside. Only problem is that my trailer has a built in generator and the original design was to plug the shore cord into the generator outlet INSIDE the cord storage compartment, yea, right, good luck with that!. I installed a transfer switch and connected it all together with blue smurf flex conduit and stranded THHN 10 gauge wiring.

Perhaps many of the naysayers should first research the product before commenting or condemning it. I saw more than one comment that it didn't appear to be tested or approved, however in the website it is noted that it is tested and approved by Intertek/ETL and this is as valid a testing service as UL (and a lot cheaper I understand).

https://smartplug.com/rv/

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
I dunno...sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
In all my years of boating and RVing, Iโ€™ve never seen a reason to doubt the Marinco inlets and cordsets. May be there are problems with the China knockoffs, but I have always had the Marinco.

yep ... regardless of how "SMART" all the cord and trailer end connectors are you still have that ultimate and generally unknown variable of the shore power box receptacle which in my almost 50 years of RVing has always been the "WEAK LINK" in the power supply system.

Also generally I'm somewhat skeptical anytime I see a product with the word "SMART or INTELLIGENT" in it since that usually at least to me says that product is being marketed to those "DUMB" enough to believe that this "SMART or INTELLIGENT" product is actually "SMARTER or more INTELLIGENT" than what already exists. Further more these "SMART/INTELLIGENT" products often ignore other factors that were always the true weak or dumber aspects of whatever the product is advertised to "IMPROVE".

IMHO the two "SMARTEST" things one can do in improving their 30 amp power system is to buy a 50A to 30A pigtail so you hook up to the shore power end at the 50A point and two if your trailer has the Marinco type connector is to get a 90 deg adapter to relieve the stress at the trailer side connection. I also like the Marinco type connectors since they are IMO more weatherproof and secure than a straight plug type connector.

Larry

Hah, hah. I have no clue how an inanimate object can be construed to be โ€œsmartโ€.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I dunno...sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
In all my years of boating and RVing, Iโ€™ve never seen a reason to doubt the Marinco inlets and cordsets. May be there are problems with the China knockoffs, but I have always had the Marinco.

yep ... regardless of how "SMART" all the cord and trailer end connectors are you still have that ultimate and generally unknown variable of the shore power box receptacle which in my almost 50 years of RVing has always been the "WEAK LINK" in the power supply system.

Also generally I'm somewhat skeptical anytime I see a product with the word "SMART or INTELLIGENT" in it since that usually at least to me says that product is being marketed to those "DUMB" enough to believe that this "SMART or INTELLIGENT" product is actually "SMARTER or more INTELLIGENT" than what already exists. Further more these "SMART/INTELLIGENT" products often ignore other factors that were always the true weak or dumber aspects of whatever the product is advertised to "IMPROVE".

IMHO the two "SMARTEST" things one can do in improving their 30 amp power system is to buy a 50A to 30A pigtail so you hook up to the shore power end at the 50A point and two if your trailer has the Marinco type connector is to get a 90 deg adapter to relieve the stress at the trailer side connection. I also like the Marinco type connectors since they are IMO more weatherproof and secure than a straight plug type connector.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
Ha, time2roll. I didn't order the cords for our fifth wheel. I was hoping to make a couple of very nice extension cords for the garage for low cost. All of us that got scammed on this will have to deal with it. I purchase these masks for work by the thousands. I have to say, 100 masks for $27.84 is currently not a good deal at all. In March 2020 it wasn't the worst though. And you had to prepay with a credit card, with no guarantee of when you would get them, or if you would get them at all. Now, these masks are readily available everywhere for a reasonable cost. But good quality 10/3 extension cords, for reasonable cost, are not. I guess I'll hold on to the masks for this next "Highly Contagious" variant of Covid 19.

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or not so "proper"; stay tuned Time.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excellent. ๐Ÿ˜ž Now you can get the proper cord with a 30-TT connector