cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New E450

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Ford now producing E450 with new smaller doghouse cover. Hope this is available for early V-8 engine chassis.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/products/commercial/e-series-cutaway/2022-e-series.html
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
5 REPLIES 5

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
klutchdust wrote:
Maybe time for Ford to ceramic coat the exhaust to get the heat away from the cover?

I sold my C but considered that and exhaust wrap.
Ceramic coated headers and headers in general makes a huge difference in heat reduction. I used to get hot foot with the std cast iron exhaust manifolds. In addition the sparkplug wires need changing every few years due to heat. Once the ceramic coated headers were installed dog house was cool and same ing wires for 12 years.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
"E-Series cutaway receives a new scalloped engine access cover this year that provides additional legroom in response to customer requests from the recreational vehicle industry."

That is a pretty vague statement and no pictures.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or ... instead of ceramic coating the exhaust ... merely install metal heat shields right above the exhausts to keep the hot air from rising up to heat the underside of the doghouse.

Our Class C's E450 chassis came from Winnebago with heat shields between the cab floor and exhausts, and the doghouse has never been warm enough to be of any concern. I'm not sure who installed the heat shields - Ford or Winnebago?

When traveling in hot weather, we can always split some of the A/C's air flow down to the floor using the dash controls.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe time for Ford to ceramic coat the exhaust to get the heat away from the cover?

I sold my C but considered that and exhaust wrap.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe that was a bad idea, after all.....???

NHTSA ID: 20V795
SAFETY ISSUE TYPE
Recalls
December 17, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V795000
Engine Cover may be Excessively Hot
Direct and continuous contact with certain areas of engine cover surface in the passenger compartment may increase the risk of injury or burns to the skin of the driver or front seat passenger.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V795000

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company

Components ENGINE

Potential Number of Units Affected 29,344

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021 E-350 and E-450 vehicles. The underside of the engine cover may have mispositioned insulation, allowing the cover to get excessively hot.

Remedy

Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the engine cover for gaps between the rubber seal and the insulation. If gaps are present, the dealer will install engine cover insulation patches in the right hand and left hand inner lower corners of the engine cover. The dealer will also update the powertrain calibration for heat management under elevated idle conditions should a vehicle be equipped with SEIC or BCP, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 8, 2021. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 20S73.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

2 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Request Research (Services fees apply)
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)