cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RGV

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
We are in our 1st winter in Texas, staying in the Rockport area. We'd like to maybe make a day trip to the valley and see what that's all about. I'm wondering if we can get some ideas from the veterans of the RGV as to what's interesting in the area and maybe what to avoid. Thanks.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude
22 REPLIES 22

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
ventrman wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Is the border still closed? I've heard conflicting information...ie: officially it's closed but you can still cross.

The border at Nuevo Progresso is open 24/7.

Yep, checked it out yesterday. As typical, crossing SB they don't even check who you are. Everything is open but slow. On the way back there was a little bit of a line but they never questioned our crossing at all.

General follow up:
- We spent a month in Port Aransas (north by Corpus), the park was full but lots of trailers that appeared to be just parked year round with no one there. Oddly after New Year, the park thinned out with may 25% of sites empty. I think it was locals taking the week to vacation on the beach.
- Last week we came down to Pharr. They had a $300/month deal and the park is easily 75% empty. Whole roads with no rigs at all. They also have a lot of the activities reduced. While it's a nice park and no worries about distancing, I kind of wish we had picked a park further to the east so we could pop over to the gulf.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Geeze
Explorer
Explorer
MikeDupont wrote:
Agree with ronfisherman. If you are even remotely interested in seeing a bird, the lower valley is for you.

World Birding Center in south Texas

I've never been to Boca Chica. but that is on my Absolutely To Do list.

Plan to visit Boca Chica at low tide and you can drive all the way down to the mouth of the Rio Grande River(about a mile or so). We did it in our Chevy Spark toad. The trick is to stay on the wet sand as much as possible.

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
Welcome to Rockport! We used to be Winter Texans and decided to move here about 5 years ago! Make sure to take a trip to PINS past Port-A!

Thanks. Our first winter here but we purchased this piece of property to park our MH on. The weather here sure beats a NY winter. We've just been getting settled into the area but looking forward to getting out a little farther to experience the area.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to Rockport! We used to be Winter Texans and decided to move here about 5 years ago! Make sure to take a trip to PINS past Port-A!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I like it so well here, that when my wife passed away, I moved here permanently.
God Bless!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
I made a mistake on my previous post which I corrected. The Office bar and grill is at 1116 Pecan, not 1611.
God Bless!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Don Beto's Mexican Restaurant in La Feria for great Tex-Mex food. We can't wait to get back to the RGV and SPI. So much to see and do and it never gets old. Snowbirds are very friendly there and we have had great times and good memories.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
ventrman wrote:

You will find that the people here are very nice. Unlike Florida where they merely tolerate Snowbirds. Here in the Riogrande Valley, they welcome you.

This is exactly why we chose Texas instead of Florida. I've had people pull up to me in a parking lot, roll down the window and say "welcome to south Texas". Out of the clear blue when they see my out-of-state license plates.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Is the border still closed? I've heard conflicting information...ie: officially it's closed but you can still cross.

The border at Nuevo Progresso is open 24/7.
God Bless!

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
empty_nest wrote:
pawatt wrote:
you would likely want to allow more than one day there are approximately 400 RV parks and retirement communities in the valley. going from Brownsville and South Padre island all the way to Palmview and beyond.

We just want to visit the area. Not looking for a park.

I see you mentioned South Padre Island. That is nice. If you are into country music, you can visit the freddy fender museum in San Benito. I like going across the border to Nuevo Progresso. Going to Reynosa would be a bad Idea. I am in mission bell, rv resort in Mission. There was a couple from mission bell that went to Reynosa a couple of years ago. While they were there, their car was stolen. You will find that the people here are very nice. Unlike Florida where they merely tolerate Snowbirds, Here in the Riogrande Valley, they welcome you.
I also enjoy Going to Jimmy's egg restaurant. They are very good. They are open for breakfast and lunch. They close at 2pm. There is one on Shary Road just off of business 83, and one on 10th Street at nolana.

If you enjoy a beer or a mixed drink in a friendly atmosphere, go to the skein dhu scottish pub located on the corner of griffin parkway and shary road. It is like a cheers bar. It opens through the week at 1pm. I think the address to the pub is 2406 E griffin parkway in Mission.There is a danny's mexican restaurant next to the skein dhu. There is also a chinese restaurant two doors down that has excellent prices. It is called chopstix. At chopstix, you get a lot of food for a little bit of money. If you like a nice place for the evening meal that has good food and a quiet atmosphere, you may want to try the office bar and grill located at 1116 pecan blvd in Mcallen. I hope all of this helps. Have a great day.
God Bless!

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
wiskeyVI wrote:
pawatt wrote:
There are many flea markets and farmers markets throughout the valley.
fruit and produce is almost giveaway cheap.
A few less vendors this year due to covid.

This alone makes me want to try RGV instead of Az!

There are some of the same things in Arizona.
Citrus Groves all over the place.
Some decent wine growing regions in the state.
Plus in both Phoenix and Tucson areas great museums, great restaurants, great shopping and come spring training, 15 teams within 40 minutes of each other. And if going across the border, there are also places that are nicer than along the Rio Grande.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:

This alone makes me want to try RGV instead of Az!

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with ronfisherman. If you are even remotely interested in seeing a bird, the lower valley is for you.

World Birding Center in south Texas

I've never been to Boca Chica. but that is on my Absolutely To Do list.