cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

disappointing info for Jeep Trailhawk flat tow

firetruckin
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a new Jeep Trailhawk in 2014. We found this Jeep had the transfer case neutral button which would allow flat towing behind our motorhome. The salesman and the owners manual confirmed that this Jeep could flat tow. A couple of years ago I purchased the base plates and related tow equipment to install myself. I later found out I would need to take it to the dealer to have a flat tow wiring harness installed. After dropping it off the dealer called and said this vehicle can not be flat towed. It has to be all four off the ground to two.:h I called the Jeep customer service 800 number to check for sure and they said based on my VIN the Trailhawk doesn't have the right power train. So frustrated to find this out. I see so many Trailhawks being towed.
25 REPLIES 25

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
firetruckin wrote:
Thanks to those that provided questions or offered positive responses. As to the point of this post coming 6 years after purchase of Jeep...We bought it brand new with intention of towing it years down the road. It wasn't until last year I began getting ready to tow. Slowly acquired parts and was finally ready to go. After getting the information that it cannot be towed it brought up two thoughts. 1) How many people out there have the same set up but didn't do the research and started towing? 2) I was hoping on the chance someone on the forums knew more details that would help me. Our Trailhawk is listed as a Cherokee. It is built on the Compass platform. Although it does have the transfer case neutral switch it is front wheel drive. That it why Jeep said there will be drivetrain damage if flat towed. Looks like we'll have to make a new plan. I have a Jeep YJ that is heavily modified for off-road use. We do on occasion trailer it to use as a driver. Not the most fun because it's not easy to climb in and out of or drive on the highway:) The Trailhawk doesn't fit on my current trailer and I want to elimnate the need for a trailer. We use to flat tow before the Wrangler before it was modified and that was SO easy.

So you are saying you have a Cherokee and it has the N position (Active Drive II)? If so it is most certainly towable 4 down! But then you say it's only front wheel drive! Can't be both! And you keep calling it a Jeep and then Trailhawk. Which actual model do you have? I, confused.
I'm a tech at a CJDR dealer. I have set a few of these up for flat towing for customers, even non TrailHawks that can be ordered with Active Drive II. Not sure who has told you they cannot be towed 4 down with Active Drive II.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Trailhawk is a trim level of a particular model Jeep, but I am not sure which models all carry the trim level of Trailhawk.

Which "Model" is your Jeep?
Liberty, Compass, Partiot, Cherokee, Renegade, Grand Cherokee?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
the Trailhawk trim is present on many of the different jeep platforms- if you have the compass that model is not flat towable if you have an automatic- looking at Roadmaster- they say the manual transmission is towable-
https://fitmaster.roadmasterinc.com/fitmaster-results/?years=2014&make=JEEP&model=COMPASS

Hope that helps.
Winnebago Access 24V

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well if it's front wheel drive you may be able to use a remco lube pump for auto trans front wheel drive cars.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
I think youโ€™re confused about something. Those 2 vehicles donโ€™t share the same platform.

Also, you may learn that car dealers don't know much about their cars.

I did a little online resing on your behalf and there is literally nothing about a 2014 Cherokee not being towable 4 down if it has a 2 speed transfer case.

I'm going to sound condescending by saying this, but are you sure you don't have a Compass?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Y-Guy
firetruckin sorry for the headache you've gone through. Sadly the marketing of the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk is confusing as it shares the nameplate with the Jeep Grand Cherokee but as you've found its not the same rig. The Cherokee, Compass and Grand Cherokee are all on three different platforms, thus it's confusing to figure what can and can be towed, and made worse if the owners manual is wrong.

Is getting out of the one you have an option? have having it 6 years that maybe a good choice, if you want to go that route. The dealer might be able to find something on a trade that is tow able, what about a used Wrangler, maybe 2 door?

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think youโ€™re confused about something. Those 2 vehicles donโ€™t share the same platform.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the update.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

firetruckin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to those that provided questions or offered positive responses. As to the point of this post coming 6 years after purchase of Jeep...We bought it brand new with intention of towing it years down the road. It wasn't until last year I began getting ready to tow. Slowly acquired parts and was finally ready to go. After getting the information that it cannot be towed it brought up two thoughts. 1) How many people out there have the same set up but didn't do the research and started towing? 2) I was hoping on the chance someone on the forums knew more details that would help me. Our Trailhawk is listed as a Cherokee. It is built on the Compass platform. Although it does have the transfer case neutral switch it is front wheel drive. That it why Jeep said there will be drivetrain damage if flat towed. Looks like we'll have to make a new plan. I have a Jeep YJ that is heavily modified for off-road use. We do on occasion trailer it to use as a driver. Not the most fun because it's not easy to climb in and out of or drive on the highway:) The Trailhawk doesn't fit on my current trailer and I want to elimnate the need for a trailer. We use to flat tow before the Wrangler before it was modified and that was SO easy.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
firetruckin wrote:
We purchased a new Jeep Trailhawk in 2014.
Suggestion - If you want help then post relevant information like model and drivetrain. What model do you have? My understanding is that Trailhawk is a trim level used on multiple models but that could be different for your 2014.

\
Purchased 6-7 years ago and posting now - what is the point to this post?

I own a 2014 Cherokee and have always heard all Trailhawks were towable 4 down
The 2014 FMCA towing guide has information on what can be towed and doesn't mention Trailhawk. And certainly FMCA is not the authourity but it does indicated model and drivetrain dependency. Look it up.

TrailHawk is a trim pkg on Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, Compass and Renegade. Only the TrailHawk Grand Cherokee or Cherokee is towable 4 down. The other 2 cannot be towed 4 down. All Wranglers are 4 down towable, but there is no TrailHawk Wrangler.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
rr2254545 wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
firetruckin wrote:
Suggestion - If you want help then post relevant information like model and drivetrain. What model do you have? My understanding is that Trailhawk is a trim level used on multiple models but that could be different for your 2014.

\

The 2014 FMCA towing guide has information on what can be towed and doesn't mention Trailhawk. And certainly FMCA is not the authourity but it does indicated model and drivetrain dependency. Look it up.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Remco driveline disconnect is now Superior Drivelines.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Y-Guy
CA Traveler wrote:
Also have you called Remco for a possible solution?

FYI Remco is out of that line of business now. "Remco Industries has decided to discontinue the manufacture and sales of its vehicle towing kits (remcotowing.com), as of October 1, 2020."

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
firetruckin wrote:

\

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks