Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: New Border Regulations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> New Border Regulations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So as snowbirds, which this forum is about, Canadians previously cannot travel south, without heavy restriction. From all these comments, it would seem that travel is going to be restricted even more soon. It sounds like travel, not just snowbird travel ie; southbound into the U. S. is going to be restricted in all directions......for Canadians. Not familiar with Canadian Law, but now I'm reading that your Rights as Canadians may be "temporarily" suspended.

Just wanted to make sure I get it right, cause its beginning to sound a lot like some other countries in the world, where you can't leave and have no rights. Ehhh, maybe its just me.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisheh wrote:

Can you imagine the chaos at Ont./Michigan crossings. I do not think the US/Can.land borders will open for non essential crossings until 2022.

.....sounds reasonable. At the present projected rate of vaccination (and remember, there is virtually no vaccine flowing into Canada presently), say at the rate of 1 million doses per week into Canada divided by the percentage of Canadians over the age of 16 (appx 85% of 38 million) = we need double-doses for 32,300,000 people (64,640,000 doses). At a million doses of vaccine per week in Canada, that's 32.3 weeks to accomplish the 1st dose nation wide (226.1 days) or 7.54 months! Just accomplish the 1st dose by sometime in September. Add another 3 or 4 months to that to get significant vaccinated 2nd dosees....brings us to maybe end of January of 2022. But we all know, the vaccination rollout will take much, much longer. And, vaccination passports will be needed to do ANY travel out of the country.

Research is showing that people who had Covid at the beginning of the "pandemic" back in March, April, May, will need to be vaccinated right now to avoid getting Covid again, because their "raw acquisition of Covid" only gives them ~80 to 83% ever-decreasing efficacy against re-infection = an ever-decreasing level of natural protection over time. In effect, we (well, say Canada) will never be "done" with vaccinating, even 3 or 4 years from now.

Some kind of re-vaccination protocol between the US and Canada (lets use as an example) will need to be agreed upon before the land borders (and likely all non-discretional flights) ever resume once again.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Galvanized wrote:

Not familiar with Canadian Law, but now I'm reading that your Rights as Canadians may be "temporarily" suspended.

.....we hope not, but this could happen here....for some "temporary period" the length of yet to be announced.

The Emergencies Act (as established in/from forward from 1988 in Canada) has never been invoked. It was threatened to be invoked at the beginning of "the pandemic" back in March-ish, but the PM (Trudeau) never did it.

MPI_Mallard

Morpeth Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd LOVE to see the numbers on how many snowbirds contracted covid!! I don't believe we snowbirds are the problem as every other snowbirds I know both here in Canada and the USA went on full isolation when we first heard of this. We maintained distancing, stayed in small groups, wore masks ect,,,, The problem as I see it are the morons both here and the USA that gather shoulder to shoulder to $$$$$ and moan about some common sense precautions that in reality don't hamper our daily existence one bit! I called my local garage today to get a coolant flush done and as we in Ontario are once again in full lockdown we can't wait in the shops waiting room so they are going to pick up our truck and bring it back for us,,, where's the problem?? Also the one thing I hear from EVERYONE is "I'm not gonna' take the vaccine" for fear they will grow a third limb,,, give me strength,,, with that stupid attitude we'd still have polio!!

Red Green: Remember, I'm pulling for ya. We're
all in this together!

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Galvanizd

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

Galvanized wrote:

Not familiar with Canadian Law, but now I'm reading that your Rights as Canadians may be "temporarily" suspended.

.....we hope not, but this could happen here....for some "temporary period" the length of yet to be announced.

The Emergencies Act (as established in/from forward from 1988 in Canada) has never been invoked. It was threatened to be invoked at the beginning of "the pandemic" back in March-ish, but the PM (Trudeau) never did it.

Sounds a bit extreme......unless you're ok with it. Careful, reading U.S. history, they told that "temporary period" to some folks just before they put them in camps during WWII. They were called Nisei. I guess that was a good reason?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Nisei

Canadian government wouldn't do that...........?

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With only 400,000 Americans in the ground from Covid-19 it is hard to understand the concern of the Canadians to having visitors from the USA. I would guess that the OP is not aware that the death toll is 1000 times higher in the USA than in many other countries where the people behave responsibly and wore masks and self isolated.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Galvanizd wrote:

silversand wrote:

Galvanized wrote:

Sounds a bit extreme......unless you're ok with it. Careful, reading U.S. history, they told that "temporary period" to some folks just before they put them in camps during WWII. They were called Nisei. I guess that was a good reason?

Of course Canada did that.

Canadian war-time internment.

Galvanizd

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Galvanizd wrote:

silversand wrote:

Galvanized wrote:

Of course Canada did that.

Canadian war-time internment.

Once in great while, I learn something on this forum. I did not know this about Canada during WWII and WWII

Thanks for that link. Interesting reading on how our governments dealt with their citizens during a period of fear and hysteria. Hopefully history won't repeat itself....but it usually does.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....if anyone here from Canada is RVing and needs to get back by airline, you better do it quickly. The Canadian Feds just announced this morning that all flights in/out of "sun destinations" (this includes Mexico, the US the Caribbean, all of Latin America) are halted (read: cancelled) from now (today) till the last day of April. The only flights leaving (and returning) now are "repatriation" flights.

Also, EVERYONE entering Canada: mandatory quarantine in a Federal Government-designated hotel for 3 days till their mandatory PCR (yes, PCR) results done at the 4 or 5 airport entry customs facilities are confirmed. The cost of these 3 days is $2000+ CAD and is to be borne solely by the returning traveler. After a neg. test, the traveler will undergo mandatory quarantine at home, under heavy surveillance. IF the PCR results come back "positive", the "person(s)" are to be delivered by the Feds to a special Federal Quarantine Facility, till they test negative.

More later....

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/21 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

....if anyone here from Canada is RVing and needs to get back by airline, you better do it quickly. The Canadian Feds just announced this morning that all flights in/out of "sun destinations" (this includes Mexico, the US the Caribbean, all of Latin America) are halted (read: cancelled) from now (today) till the last day of April....

I couldn’t find anything mentioning canceling flights to the US.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> New Border Regulations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.