cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Busted!

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been living in my current home (which I own) for over 17 years. It's located in a small city of about 11,000 people. My property is a half-acre, fairly level lot on a suburban-style street. The neighborhood was developed between the late 1960's and 1970's. I've kept a travel trailer parked in my driveway for the last 5 years, and I had a popup parked in the driveway for 12 years before that.

Last week I got a citation from the city, telling me that I am in violation of a city ordinance. Apparently, from Dec. 1 to April 1 I am not allowed to keep the travel trailer in my driveway in the front of my house. The paperwork indicates that this ordinance was established in 2001 - two years before I moved here. There has never been any indication before now that I couldn't park in my own driveway. The city relies on community members to report violations, so evidently someone decided that they didn't like looking at my travel trailer and they blew me in. I am not happy. I've been given until the end of January to get the trailer out of my driveway.

I'm allowed to park it in my back yard, but I can't get the trailer back there without some property modifications. On one side of the house I have enough space to get through, but I have to remove a spruce tree, trim some branches on some other trees, and do some leveling. I will have to drive on the lawn in order to get the trailer back to the space I will park it in. I'm able and willing to do these property modifications, but the whole thing is a PITA. Obviously, an alternative would be to find an off-site storage site for the months in question.

Any advice or comments on the choices I face? Anyone else doing something similar to what I'm describing for back-yard storage?

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
85 REPLIES 85

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Took the cover off today and towed the trailer over to the storage place. Replaced the cover and left it there. I feel a little disoriented, but at least my neighbors can enjoy the look of the neighborhood again.

-Speak

Now for the next few months you can cut the offending trees about 1/4โ€ at a time during the very early hours. Very old chainsaws without mufflers are an excellent choice.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Took the cover off today and towed the trailer over to the storage place. Replaced the cover and left it there. I feel a little disoriented, but at least my neighbors can enjoy the look of the neighborhood again.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Come to Tennessee like the thousands of New Yorkers moving here ASAP. Not being political. Itโ€™s just a fact of life. This state is exploding with folks from California and New York/ New Jersey. Not sure why, canโ€™t put my finger on it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the invitation! I'm sure I would like it in Tennessee. Governor Cuomo has actually encouraged people who disagree with him about social issues to leave the state!

Be careful, however. Immigrants from California and New York may bring ideas with them that could ruin the good life y'all have cultivated down there.

One of my daughters and her family have relocated to NC, so if we're going anywhere it would probably be to NC.

(But back to the topic at hand: I suspect there are communities in Tennessee that would tell me the same thing about where I can and can't park my trailer.)

-Speak

This is why we can't have nice things. It really gets old reading such small minded assumptions. Dennis Nunez is from CA and he's one of the country's leading conservatives and a strong defender of the current administration. Arnold was a conservative and served two terms. I live within an hour's drive of SFO and I can tell you for certain there's a WIDE variety of opinions, just like anywhere.

I'm from NC, moved to FL and then CA for work. I run into this mindset all the time and it's simply false.

We're here to share this country. You should welcome diversity.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read the actual published law.

We had an issue in my small town. I was very actively involved with the writing the city ordinance on parking "recreational" vehicles. Delayed the ordinance for almost a year, and finally the mayor directly stated he was tired of this back and forth and wanted a solution. My solution of not having any ordinance wasn't going to fly and we came up with a mutually agreed solution, and yes I had to take a long shower that night ๐Ÿ˜ž

Fast forward several years, and I have a temporary cargo trailer in my driveway. New city inspector wrote a violation on the trailer. Wife took photos and a copy of the ordinance to the city manager, and she immediately cancelled the ticket and called him into her office and told him to go read the ordinance before he wrote any more tickets

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I learned some 45+ years ago was when I moved into my area. The homes were all custom from small to big, some were older and some we new, all had about an acre of land attached. I joined the HOA and with in 2 years I was president of it for 20+ years. Some wanted strict rules others had been here for years already. I made few rules other than if I came to your house it would be nice to have a cold beer. People became friendlier and better neighbors through our picnics and occasional street partys. Bottom line home is what you make of it. Oh I have been to Tenn and all the southern states going to some yearly for over 20 years. They have some nice areas and they have a lot of poor underdeveloped ones too. Plenty of dirt poor and some very rich. Home is what you make of it. I'll stay in Michigan........... at least in the summer.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Come to Tennessee like the thousands of New Yorkers moving here ASAP. Not being political. Itโ€™s just a fact of life. This state is exploding with folks from California and New York/ New Jersey. Not sure why, canโ€™t put my finger on it.

Thanks!

Thanks for the invitation! I'm sure I would like it in Tennessee. Governor Cuomo has actually encouraged people who disagree with him about social issues to leave the state!

Be careful, however. Immigrants from California and New York may bring ideas with them that could ruin the good life y'all have cultivated down there.

One of my daughters and her family have relocated to NC, so if we're going anywhere it would probably be to NC.

(But back to the topic at hand: I suspect there are communities in Tennessee that would tell me the same thing about where I can and can't park my trailer.)

-Speak
Not just New York, people of Illinois want to succeed from Chicago. Different values in rule area's compared to large cities but the large cities have the numbers to pass the laws.

Yes HOA'S are everywhere. Have family in the metroplex (DFW) that live in a HOA that ban pickups. Can you imagine banning pickups in Texas.
Someone could get shot, hanged or both!:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks!

-Speak
Not just New York, people of Illinois want to succeed from Chicago. Different values in rule area's compared to large cities but the large cities have the numbers to pass the laws.

Yes HOA'S are everywhere. Have family in the metroplex (DFW) that live in a HOA that ban pickups. Can you imagine banning pickups in Texas.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks!

-Speak

LOL! One of my old friends moved to another county. Stated one of the major reasons for the move was "I want to do what I want on my property" Built a real nice house. 5 years later, he and many others are in the courts fighting to keep a hog factory out. But he can walk around with his gun.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks!

-Speak

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Westcoasting wrote:
Can you park it beside your driveway... then technically you are not parked in the driveway like they warned you about!

The ordinance says it has to be in the back yard. Side yard COULD be approved, but it would require a request on my part and a specific approval from the City. My side yard could not accommodate a trailer.

-Speak

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thanks!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
Can you park it beside your driveway... then technically you are not parked in the driveway like they warned you about!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:
So - wait until the end of January and roll the dice on being able to get in? Or do it now while I can and pay for a month that I really don't need? -Speak

If you're not willing to go ask for an extension, I hoped you jumped on this and got a spot! It will solve the immediate issue and give you some breathing room to do your landscaping and make a spot for the TT at home on your own schedule.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
My trailer sits in my RV drive, which is next to my vehicle drive... My neighbors love it. Have given many tours, and showed off the light show it can do. They think it brings a touch of class to the area.

My kind of people.

I do not think I would own an RV if I had to keep it somewhere else.

I know for a fact that I'd not own an RV that required storing off site.....wife and I play cards in it all winter, little wine and a little music.