cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Green Valve Stem Covers

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
I went to add some air into my tires for my camper and noticed they were green valve stem covers. I remember someone telling me once that green caps usually indicate the tire is filed with nitrogen. Does anyone know if that's true? I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual where it talks about this.
39 REPLIES 39

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:

I stand by my statement, automotive tires will never see the type of temperatures that will cause steam.
You haven't seen me drive!!๐Ÿ˜‰
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond c wrote:
I installed an oversized blinker fluid reservoir so I con leave it on for lots of miles.

Man, must be nice to have that kind of cash. I have to do like most people, only use them when I might make a turn. Do you have this problem too, seems my left blinker comes on just before I turn right??

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Duane4238 wrote:
I've aired down my tt tires at least a hundred times and then filled with Helium. I think I've got most of the old air out now because I had the trailer weighed and it's gone from over 7k lbs. down to just under 2k. I should now get about 150,000 miles out of a set of tires.
On the other side of the coin, I run my pickup truck tires at 300 lbs each. That way in the winter I have 1200lbs total and the extra weight helps with traction on the snowy roads here in Western New York.;)

Put some more helium in them, and you could end up with a radio controlled RV drone.

Guy

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
I've aired down my tt tires at least a hundred times and then filled with Helium. I think I've got most of the old air out now because I had the trailer weighed and it's gone from over 7k lbs. down to just under 2k. I should now get about 150,000 miles out of a set of tires.
On the other side of the coin, I run my pickup truck tires at 300 lbs each. That way in the winter I have 1200lbs total and the extra weight helps with traction on the snowy roads here in Western New York.;)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:

The vapor obeys boyles law, the liquid does not. That affects how temp changes affect tire pressure.

Again, for most consumer applications, it will not make enough difference to be signficant or affect operation.

Pull out the H2O phase diagram, it takes a lot of heat to begin having a meaningful impact on pressure. Boyles law falls apart with differences in temperature. In addition water vapor changing to pure gas is where you would see big pressure changes...

I stand by my statement, automotive tires will never see the type of temperatures that will cause steam.

like i said for consumer applications it will NOT make enough difference to be significant or affect operation!

Now if you care about fractions of a PSI variation like lots of racing operations do, then moisture is a uncontrolled variable. That's one reason they use dry air source, usually nitrogen because it's easy to come by. It doesn't take steam, just change in the amount of water vapor.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
phil-t wrote:
Oh Oh! I purchased a utility trailer this past summer - it had green caps, i adjuste3d air pressure with my garage duty air compressor - am I liable to change those caps to some other color? Not! ๐Ÿ˜‰
try gold plated caps, you must be rich if you can fill your own tires with {shudder} air.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:

The vapor obeys boyles law, the liquid does not. That affects how temp changes affect tire pressure.

Again, for most consumer applications, it will not make enough difference to be signficant or affect operation.

Pull out the H2O phase diagram, it takes a lot of heat to begin having a meaningful impact on pressure. Boyles law falls apart with differences in temperature. In addition water vapor changing to pure gas is where you would see big pressure changes...

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
No need for new tires. Just rotate the air/nitrogen between them to get everything equalized.

No way !
At this age I'll have another senior moment - get the hoses mixed up and end up putting nitrogen into my air compressor

Guy

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need for new tires. Just rotate the air/nitrogen between them to get everything equalized.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
My new Toyota pick up has green valves and a few weeks ago the low tire light came on. I checked with my gage and sure enough all four wheels only had 25 PSI. I topped them off with my handy dandy little 12 volt compressor, and they never complained, and the green valves never changed to black, or purple, etc, so I guess all is well.

Guy

If I were you I would get those defective green valves replaced. :B

What color will be compatible with half nitrogen and half compressor air ?
Or should I just buy four new tires ?

Guy

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guy Roan wrote:
My new Toyota pick up has green valves and a few weeks ago the low tire light came on. I checked with my gage and sure enough all four wheels only had 25 PSI. I topped them off with my handy dandy little 12 volt compressor, and they never complained, and the green valves never changed to black, or purple, etc, so I guess all is well.

Guy

If I were you I would get those defective green valves replaced. :B

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer

Guy

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
Pipsfc wrote:
Ok... thought so. Wasn't sure if I had to keep using nitrogen or not, but you answered that question. Air it will be! Thanks!

except you will lose the benifit of what nitrogen does.

if you fill with all nitrogen you will see slightly lower running temps, less pressure loss and it keeps the inside dryer.

Steve

OMG! :R
Just say no to the payload police :C

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Mont G&J wrote:
I have green caps and nitrogen filled tires. I wish everyone did because it's good for the environment. I have noticed many tires several pounds low on air and that has a direct result in reducing gas mileage which adds to carbon emissions to the atmosphere. This doesn't apply to battery cars though.

Wasting energy producing and distributing useless hydrogen should be considered, if you want to discuss this infinitesimal subject. Your wonderful battery powered car uses the nuclear, hydro, gas, fuel oil and coal fired power plants surrounding me.