cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which TT has the Best Kitchen and Why?

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I've been lurking and reading for some time now and I appreciate the knowledge and helpfulness of this community. We're looking for our first TT and everyone has been most helpful.

Short background: I grew up tent camping and we evolved through several pop-up campers and spent an epic family vacation across the country in our Coleman. This was the early 70's. When I had my own family we bought a Jayco pop-up that we loved.

Now, kids are grown, we have grandkids, and Chef Luz and I are looking at retirement and a TT. She has NO camping experience AT ALL. None. We're looking for a TT that can be pulled by our X5 and, most importantly, it has to have a functional kitchen. We're both professional chefs, we still love to cook, and we almost always only eat our own food/cooking. We're avid gardeners as well.

This will be a trailer for trips to see the grandkids or to events like the F1 race in Austin or the 24 Hrs of Daytona. 5-day maximum stay with just the two of us. We're very good at mise (advance prep and planning of meals) so things that are important are cold storage, dry storage (pantry items and pots and pans) and a strong burner. I know many have three burners but if I can get just ONE high btu burner, anything beyond that is a bonus. I can always bring another burner. An oven would only be a nice addition if it was large enough to be useful.
I couldn't care any less for a microwave, but they all come with one. I'd rather use that space for storage. It will never get used.

One of my biggest concerns is the sink and water consumption. Everything has to be hand washed and if I can't fit a 10" cast iron skillet in the sink we'll be miserable. And scratch cooking is a very water-intensive act, although I doubt we'll spend any time off-grid, and if we do we can plan for it.

I really like the Airstream Bambi 22FB but I'll have to wait for the market to cool. I am OK without a slide. What else should I be looking at?
60 REPLIES 60

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
I do not want to be a meany here---but, after RVing for over 35 years in one form or another, I have never seen a BMW in front of a trailer. Not saying it can't be done.
Chose wisely and think safety.

They're quite good, especially the diesels.

Compared to the F-150 from 2010 they're similar, but Ford rated theirs higher than BMW did in North America. In Europe the same engine and chassis in the BMW had a higher rating, up to 7700 lbs (IIRC).
The Ford V-8 of the time was 248 HP. The BMW inline 6 3L (gas) was/is 264 hp and 230 torques and is underrated. It develops good torque down low (between 2 and 3k) and has a very linear delivery. It will tow up to and over its rating all day and in fact I argue with one of the guys on the BMW forum who regularly tows a 32' TT with an 800 lb tongue weight which I think is WAY too far. He's been doing it for years and thinks I'm a moron.

I am currently shopping for another tow vehicle but our X5 ("The Bus") has been great and we both want to keep it. I do the majority of the work on her keep her in good nick.

I've been into sports cars and racing for years. If you go to the track on a regular basis you'll see a number of German SUVs towing all manner of things.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
I do not want to be a meany here---but, after RVing for over 35 years in one form or another, I have never seen a BMW in front of a trailer. Not saying it can't be done.

I saw one at a stop light. He rolled the window down and I asked if he had any Grey Poupon. He said "But of course" and just drove off.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
This points out the classic RV conundrum. Floor plan, tow vehicle and cost. They all have to match.

Floor plan is the most important. You can change tow vehicles, you can refinance but the floor plan stays. Unless you sell the TT.

To answer the OPs question. The best kitchen is the one the person doing the cooking likes. Considering suggestions from others is a good way to start.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
I think it is a nice floorplan for 2 people, but it definitely doesn't have a lot of storage for food or clothing. That would be the only real drawback I see by looking at just the floorplan. Also, is there a designated place to put that removable table when it's removed? That would be a real consideration for me since I wouldn't want to lay it on the bed or put it in the shower or.....

The table has dedicated storage under the bed. There's lots of room under there.

We went back and looked at it again after looking at a number of others. It has a large passthrough and more drawer space in the kitchen than other trailers.

The other we like is a bit smaller but manages to be a more open plan. The bath is smaller but neither of us thought it was too small. This one is shorter and lighter but has even more counter space and the tv can be seen from anywhere inside. With the 22rbe, the TV can't be seen from the bedroom (if that matters to you).
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2021/travel-trailer/imagine-xls/floorplans/17mke

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is a nice floorplan for 2 people, but it definitely doesn't have a lot of storage for food or clothing. That would be the only real drawback I see by looking at just the floorplan. Also, is there a designated place to put that removable table when it's removed? That would be a real consideration for me since I wouldn't want to lay it on the bed or put it in the shower or.....
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
propchef wrote:
Bump for updates.

My wife and I have been looking at TTs as they come up and we're zeroing in on a GD TT. Large single-bowl sink with lots of counter space, a huge drawer for pots and pans, and ticks many of the other boxes as well. We continue to look, but of the one's we've seen, this is position 1. Does anyone have experience with this TT?
Thanks!
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2021/travel-trailer/imagine-xls/floorplans/22rbe

No experience. Nice layout except I donโ€™t see a pantry. After having decent size dedicated storage for food for the last 10 years, I canโ€™t imagine being without one.

However, it does have nitrogen filled tires! (Sorry, couldnโ€™t resist)
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
Bump for updates.

My wife and I have been looking at TTs as they come up and we're zeroing in on a GD TT. Large single-bowl sink with lots of counter space, a huge drawer for pots and pans, and ticks many of the other boxes as well. We continue to look, but of the one's we've seen, this is position 1. Does anyone have experience with this TT?
Thanks!
https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/2021/travel-trailer/imagine-xls/floorplans/22rbe

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
propchef wrote:
WebstaurantStore. You're welcome.

I'm a customer there. I purchased some pandemic stuff from them including containers and a vacuum sealer. The unit you suggested looks good, thanks.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
WebstaurantStore. You're welcome.

This is where many professionals buy for their operation(s). Great prices and I've never had an issue with quality. I buy from them for my home kitchen as well, other than knives.

I have several of these, and a few of the cheaper ones as well. I like them OK but prefer the tabletop butane burners, even if they won't get as hot.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-59300-mirage-cadet-countertop-induction-range-1800w-120v/92259300.html

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sjm9911 wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electric-Induction-Cooker-Cooktop/dp/B0753699Y2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=duel+induction+burner&qid=1608736236&sr=8-3
Only problem is you would need to be pluged in. And watch your power consumption. I dont like them, but if you do they sell these.

I looked at those - they aren't dependable enough based on the reviews. Probably going w genset so for more anything more than a brief cook I'd turn the generator on.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electric-Induction-Cooker-Cooktop/dp/B0753699Y2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=duel+induction+burner&qid=1608736236&sr=8-3
Only problem is you would need to be pluged in. And watch your power consumption. I dont like them, but if you do they sell these.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:
My biggest unanswered concern is how to make great coffee w out tons of heat and moisture in the living quarters.

That's easy: Heat the water in a pot and use a Melitta drip:

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one biggest improvement over a stock tt kitchen would be an induction burner. I believe a 110v restaurant quality induction burner(s) w infinite heat settings and capable of continuous duty would be a huge upgrade over propane. In addition I would have a 2 burner propane camp stove such as made by partner steel w a quick connects for both inside (as a back-up), but primarily for outdoor use. I'm uncertain which way to go for a oven or even if one is necessary, perhaps a bbq and/or dutch oven could fill that role. I am planning on putting my ideas to work in a truck camper build so eliminating the heat and moisture from propane would be a major plus.

I think a plastic tub could handle any oversize cleaning needs rather than dedicating space to a big sink which is going to take up what would be storage space. One "must have" is a built in soap dispenser by the kitchen sink.

As an aside we've been using a temp kitchen set up in the garage during our remodel using an induction burner and the camp stove. We also have a natural gas bbq, toaster oven, micro, and an instant pot. I have been fairly successful using the bbq as oven for instance making meatloaf, enchiladas and sole in a sheet pan w white wine. I think the instant pot could be a great camping tool if one doesn't have the willpower to make and freeze meals ahead.

My biggest unanswered concern is how to make great coffee w out tons of heat and moisture in the living quarters.