cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with ebikes

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We ordered our ebikes (2) and are excited to hit the road with them. We ordered a tilt hitch suited for ebikes and the RV. Now we need to find a suitable cover to use while traveling.
We had a scooter we used to carry and simply used a BBQ pit cover, but it did flap terribly and did not protect the underside.
Do you carry bikes and use a cover? Do you like it? Easy to put on? Cost efficient & durable? Any thoughts?
thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
11 REPLIES 11

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have 2 rather large Ebikes.
I carry them inside the fiver fully assembled.
Getting them in and out was initially a challenge but I have developed a routine that makes getting them in and out tolerable.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Carry 2 bikes up on the pin box of a 5th whl... had a custom cover made for them from sun brella... by 3rd trip wind had pretty much shredded it to worthless.
HTML

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
No ebikes but we travel with two Day6 semi recumbent bikes on a hitch that goes into the receiver on the back of the tt. Just ordered the covers with the bikes. Most makers sell covers that are a perfect fit for their bikes be they ebikes or pedal bikes.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve traveled 15k+ miles over the last two years with ebikes on a rack using a cover we purchased from Walmart for ~$60 (Formosa brand). The cover does a great job, wouldnโ€™t travel without it unless it was a short drive on a nice day. Get one
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I had a giant bag from Amazon that protected our 2 bicycles - it completely enclosed them and had straps that could tighten to stop flapping. It was similar to this:
Bike Cover
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not carry expensive bikes out side unless absolutely necessary. I carry my bikes in one of my pass trus by removing the front wheel and seat and tilting the handlebars flat. If I bought a smaller unit like a 24 ft Class C I would look for one with a large storage bay in the rear and store them there. As a last resort if the MH had little outside storage I would get a custom cover like the grill cover you mentioned and add snaps on it to snap to the bottom of a carrier to keep the rain off and keep the cover from flapping.

Lightning55
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 foldable Lectric XP bikes and put them on the rack on the back of the trailer. I also use the packing blankets from Harbor Freight, just wrap them up and secure them with bungy cords. I use the blankets as much for concealment as for protection.
I also use large cable tie downs with padlocks for added security.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a local awning shop. They can easily make one for you.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We carry our ebikes on a rack in the front of our TV without a cover that would obstruct the headlights and license. We cover while camped. We also take the seats off while traveling and while camping.
If you haul the bikes on the back of your RV they will get very dirty.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Get a few moving blankets from Harbor freight or Amazon. Take the pedals off, take the front wheels off, lay a moving blanket down on the bed. Turn the handlebars and lay one bike on the blanket. Put another moving blanket down and put the 2nd bike on top of that. Secure with a strap or bungee cord or rope so they don't move around.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We put 2 bikes in the back of the car. I got an ebike ( and she's getting one) but it won't fit in the car. I didn't want it out in the weather so now we pull the pickup and the bikes go in it. The cover seems like it would be a pain.