cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you buy new what CA rents

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are the units that Thor or Four Winds make for CA or these other rental companies the same as what the average customer can buy from them, or do they use more durable components in these units? I know Thor gets a bad rap on this Forum but it seems like people that buy these used with 100,000 miles on them are pleased with their purchase.
16 REPLIES 16

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I did not know the engines were different, I assumed they they had the same chassis in the rental units that they sold to you and me. Do you think the 5.4 V8 is more reliable than the V-10?

If I'm not mistaken the 6.8 V10 is literally a 5.4 with a longer crank and block to accommodate two more cylinders. If you do the math the cylinder sizes are exactly the same. I suppose the 5.4 might be incrementally more reliable with fewer moving parts, but both are very reliable engines.

Yes, they're both examples of the Ford modular engine family, sharing the same cylinder spacing, bank angle, and other key block dimensions. There are some other differences between the V8 and V10, though, such as the addition of a balance shaft to the V10 (as required to keep vibration under control). Both are quite reliable engines.

I sometimes wish Ford had made an 8.1L V12 engine as part of the line; that should make for a very smooth running and decently powerful engine.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Gjac wrote:
I did not know the engines were different, I assumed they they had the same chassis in the rental units that they sold to you and me. Do you think the 5.4 V8 is more reliable than the V-10?

If I'm not mistaken the 6.8 V10 is literally a 5.4 with a longer crank and block to accommodate two more cylinders. If you do the math the cylinder sizes are exactly the same. I suppose the 5.4 might be incrementally more reliable with fewer moving parts, but both are very reliable engines.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Majestic 19G and the 23A built on the E350 Chassis with the 5.4L. V8.

The Majestic 28A built on the E450 Chassis have the 6.8 liter V10.
Buying A Rental Class C

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
All E450s have the V10.

The short units such as the 19G, built on the E350 chassis, had the 5.4L.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
CharlesinGA wrote:
Yes they do keep it simple, No awning, no electric steps, no shades with strings, none of that fragile stuff that RV companies use. The CA units have a step box built in so they don't need the electric steps, they use regular cloth curtains, no awning to leave out and tear off or improperly stow. Its that kind of stuff that makes them a solid rental vehicle. I think they all have the 5.4 V8 and not the V10 also.

Charles

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they do keep it simple, No awning, no electric steps, no shades with strings, none of that fragile stuff that RV companies use. The CA units have a step box built in so they don't need the electric steps, they use regular cloth curtains, no awning to leave out and tear off or improperly stow. Its that kind of stuff that makes them a solid rental vehicle. I think they all have the 5.4 V8 and not the V10 also.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the rental companies (PROPERLY) subscribe strongly to the KISS theory.

Most appropriate for the vast majority of renters who are first timers.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I have the Fourwinds 28A model and absolutely love this layout! I have the rear window, door window, all the normal items since mine was not a rental unit. The fact that the bathroom door swings out to block the rear bedroom/bath from the living area was my major "like" since I planned to use mine with lots of friends on the beach coming in and didn't want to make everyone get out if someone was using the shower or getting dressed in the bedroom. I got to most RV shows when in town and have yet to find a floor plan I like better. At 120,000 miles, mine is a keeper for me!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
If I understand your post the both MH's are built to the same specs, having the same construction processes the same components, the only difference's are some components that are likely to fail are eliminated. Is that correct?

Yes that is what I have observed. I seems that about 8-10 years ago CA deleted the rear window and the window in the door. I would say that the non-ducted A/C would be cheaper too and of course no awning.

I was told that the rear window was the first to go as it got broken often, it was an escape window that was opened and dropped. The escape window on the newer ones is on drivers side.

I have a member of my extended family that has a Former CA rental,it has a rear window and it has a window in the door,it also has a Ladder on the rear that I suspect was added by the PO.
Buying A Rental Class C

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
IAMICHABOD wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Depends who you ask.

True,you can buy the same 28A Thor/Fourwinds.But the ones that are made for CA are built to their specs,and they delete some things that you will get on a production model. Window in the door,no ducted A/C,no rear window,TV antenna,among other things.I have been in both and the build and components and construction seems to be about the same.

Here is a Former Rental from El Monte RV. It is the same as a CA unit EXCEPT a few things that I noted and a much nicer interior.

I will note my Former Rental from El Monte RV,a Tioga 26Q build sheet clearly states it is a commercial unit. It is the same as far as all the construction and components that all the others that I test drove that were non Rental.
If I understand your post the both MH's are built to the same specs, having the same construction processes the same components, the only difference's are some components that are likely to fail are eliminated. Is that correct?

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
From what I've seen of the units parked next to us...it's mostly stripping out parts prone to breakage. That's what appears to be the extent of the "build spec".

Now if those parts aren't important to you, it can be a good deal.

I certainly wouldn't worry about 100k miles on the drivetrain if everything else looks good. I'd take that in a heartbeat over a 5yr old rig with 2k miles. Engines like to be run. Keeps things lubricated and seals moist. Modern drivetrains are easily good for 200-250k miles with basic maintenance like oil changes.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Buying used from a rental company will probably get you less problems than buying new, because the rental companies get to fix all the problems!

And yes, C-A does order de-contented versions. They basically skip on the problematic or damage-prone items, like slide-outs and awnings.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
MDKMDK wrote:
Depends who you ask.

True,you can buy the same 28A Thor/Fourwinds.But the ones that are made for CA are built to their specs,and they delete some things that you will get on a production model. Window in the door,no ducted A/C,no rear window,TV antenna,among other things.I have been in both and the build and components and construction seems to be about the same.

Here is a Former Rental from El Monte RV. It is the same as a CA unit EXCEPT a few things that I noted and a much nicer interior.

I will note my Former Rental from El Monte RV,a Tioga 26Q build sheet clearly states it is a commercial unit. It is the same as far as all the construction and components that all the others that I test drove that were non Rental.
Buying A Rental Class C